The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dbx 160x on mix buss ?
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

dbx 160x on mix buss ?

Has anyone tried the dbx 160x(t) on mix buss ?
Whats it like ?
I've seen it a lot on concerts around here on the main outs, I have one and I really like it on a lot of things so maybe I'll get another one if its good on the mix buss ?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

We have a pair of 160x on the L/R of our p.a. rigs and it is OK.
On our Nexo S rig I would like a better compressor, but it is a VERY good sounding system and you can appreciate details like a better compressor.
Still, I am not dragging out a pair of 1176s.

As far as recording goes.... they can work in some situations, but they are kinda' brutal when they are compressing.

They jst are not that musical to me.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Kinda like bringin a knife to a gunfight. The 160 (and all its varients) are great compressors but there are so many other tools suited to that task in particular. I have used the 160x to great success on drum channel, mults and bus. I personally would find a better comp for 2mix duty.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I do like my 160xt's on snare and bass tracks sometimes. But I sure do not think they are good on the mix bus. Too dull & mushy sounding in my opinion.

Stefan
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

If you want to HEAR a 160 then by all means get another one and put on the buss.
The DBX 160 stuff has a serious sonic footprint. I like it for LOTS AND LOTS of things.... this situation... probably not so much so
Old 1st February 2007
160X sounds like a fish slapped on plywood... using these on 2mix is counterindicated.

tutt

maybe for parallel drum smack in an SSL talkback comp kinda way tho....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search