The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studer B67
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

Studer B67 - A/B comparison tape vs computer

Hi,

I got Studer B67 today (3 speeds, 15 ips max). This is my first tape recorder. Picked it up quite cheap, 250 euros (324 dollars). It's in flawless shape and has only 600 hours in the meter.

Some questions about this beauty:

1. How do i know if i have mkI or mkII version?

2. It's aligned to Agfa PEM468 tape, but the seller gave me AGFA LGR-50 tape. He said it's fine, no reason to worry about what tape to use. He said that he's used several tapes and noticed no difference in quality. So, is LGR-50 a good tape and can I use it with this machine, aligned to PEM468.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

You were dealing with an idiot.

You need to get an alignment tape (it's just part of the deal with analog decks) and learn to do a set up.
You'll be better for it, too.

The frequency response between tape formulas can be quite drastic.
I don't know AGFA tape numbers, but it can be off by as much as 3db in the top end.

Without setting up the deck for the tape you'll use you are going to get a response that is worse than any piece ger you would ever consider buying/using for a decent recording.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the advice. BTW. I ment to say BASF!!! The tape he gave me was Basf LGR-50. So it's even totally different brand. And the machine is aligned to Agfa PEM468.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

I'm not familiar with LGR 50 but the 468 is once again (thankfully) being manufactured. It was made by Agfa until mid-1992 when they sold their tape manufacturing interests to BASF. It was then re-named SM 468 and has remained so under both the EMTEC marque and today with the emergence of RMGI.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for your help Jay. I found this list:

http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/basftape/basftapes.html

PEM468 is classified as Studio Master Tape and LGR-50 is classified as Broadcast Tape. Well, the specs are different... Does the specs tell anything about the quality of LGR-50 or differences between LGR-50 and PEM468? Anyone?

I'm a newbie with tape machines and I only have LGR-50 tape and haven't even been able to listen to it yet so bear with me (seller forgot to give me the other reel, or the round thing where i attach the tape, i guess it's called a hub).
Old 1st February 2007
Mastering Moderator

LGR 50 is a nice sounding broadcast tape. It is not be up there with the best like SM900 but still usable (rock, pop stuff).
Yes definitely get to know your machine and learn how to align it.
Once you have done that you can start searching for your favourite tape/tapes.
thumbsup
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for your post Riccardo. Good to hear that LGR-50 is a decent tape. I guess my best bet is to just listen if the machine needs alignment. I might have a chance to get PEM468 tape from the seller, so I guess I'll start by comparing these three: the source of recording (for example CD), PEM468 and LGR-50.
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Head

Shawadeewadee
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Head

Shawadeewadee
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Guru

bubba is right, don't even think about slapping a tape on there without calibrating everything anew.

and understand your machine is not just calibrated for a specific tape, it's calibrated for the taste, working style, and ears of the last owner. how you bias the tape and what operating levels you calibrate it to have a big effect on what kind of tone and saturation characteristics the machine will spit back at you.

calibrating these creatures is an art as well as a science. over time you'll learn what flavor tape you prefer, and what settings you gravitate towards, and my advice on that front is EXPERIMENT. don't get locked into one tape or alignment; mix it up, explore. there's something out there for you, enjoy the process of finding it!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 27th May 2012
Gear Maniac

have anyone moddeD the input with some nice sounding transformers??
Old 19th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midihooker View Post
have anyone moddeD the input with some nice sounding transformers??
What is so wrong with the original Studer input and output transformers ?
Old 20th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1353 View Post
Thanks for your post Riccardo. Good to hear that LGR-50 is a decent tape. I guess my best bet is to just listen if the machine needs alignment. I might have a chance to get PEM468 tape from the seller, so I guess I'll start by comparing these three: the source of recording (for example CD), PEM468 and LGR-50.
The tape that will sound best on your machine is the one that the machine is calibrated for. And unless the machine is radically miscalibrated, you won't hear much of it by ear unless you know exactly what and how to listen for it.

You now have a decent tape machine, get the most out of it by having the proper maintenance done.

Dennis
Old 15th September 2013
how are these machines? reliable? good sounding?
thanks.
Old 16th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
how are these machines? reliable? good sounding?
thanks.
Both....
It's a STUDER, you know !
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

Studer b67

Old 27th December 2014
Here for the gear

I recently bought 2 (mono) of these and I'm looking for some parts.
Where is the best place to buy NOS parts for this machines (except on eBay)?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search