The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
u87 ai sounds like ****!!!
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

u87 ai sounds like ****!!!

can someone tell me if this is what a u87ai is suppose to sound like.

I want to use it as my main male vox mic.

It sounds very boxy and does not have a nice high end.

the chain is u87 - pacifica (pre) - apogee ad16x - cubase sx3

i did expect it to be much more open and have a little more depth ( i have heard mp3's of it sounding better)

please help
Attached Files
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I don't think that sounds bad at all.

There's some mud in the 200-400Hz area that might be what you experience as "boxy" but you can eq that out. The high end sounds typical 87 to me, it's there but not hyped in any way. If you need more air you can find that in the 12kHz area.

Nothing wrong with that sound.
Old 31st January 2007
Sounds find to me, actually. Like he said, you can get rid of the "boxiness" around 200-400Hz and get some air around 11KHz to 12KHz. I don't think it sounds bad. I use the U87ai all of the time.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

just wondering is this your voice??? the reason i ask is it's not uncommon for us to think somethings wrong in hearing our own voice... it has to do with the bone conduction that's missung from the mic... make sense???
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds about right.

BTW, nice vocals.
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

Hell, thats the sound I am trying to get right now...LOL!!!!!
One mans trash is another mans treasure...LOL!
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I think it sounds fine. Like others have posted, a bit of eq here a there it'll sound great. There is alittle pre amp hair/fizz but it gives it some character.

Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I agree it sounds good. The magic and durability of the U87 sound is obviously all about how it makes a vocal hold up in a mix. From that standpoint this is a very U87 track, not "pretty" but powerful. In a busy mix it would probably hold up better (and sound more compelling) than the same voice on a C12-ish mic that sounds better soloed.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

As a further thought, the hair on the vocal sound probably comes from running the Pacifica hot, which may also be taking away some detail in the sound. You might try it again with cooler gainstaging, making sure there is plenty of headroom at each step. That may be the sound that you are looking for.
Old 31st January 2007
That sounds good to me (maybe not the best choice for you, though). I love the U87ai on a lot of things. Lately, it's about all I use on acoustic guitars and mandolin.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

U87s do have a tendency to sound "boxy" or slightly midrange-ish.
Learn to use that.

They are not "scooped" and to me the show you what a nuetral sound sound sound like.
Learn to use their sound.

I used to run a '70s U87, Demeter tube pre, 1176 (blue stripe) to analog tape (30 ips w/no NR @ +9 over 185 nwbr) for vocals and only touch it up a tiny bit during mix.
I'd maybe add some top and tweak the mids a tiny, tiny bit (if at all.)
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweedrummer View Post
can someone tell me if this is what a u87ai is suppose to sound like.

I want to use it as my main male vox mic.

It sounds very boxy and does not have a nice high end.

the chain is u87 - pacifica (pre) - apogee ad16x - cubase sx3

i did expect it to be much more open and have a little more depth ( i have heard mp3's of it sounding better)

please help

ai is a great mic. Can I interest you in some recording classes?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I didn't like the mic as much as I liked others for "most" vocalists, but to each his own.
It's a great mic overall however, but at the same time maybe it's just not the "best" one for your voice as you'd like to hear it.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

ok so its a normal sound for an 87,

the problem is that the sound is not big and lush .

and doesnt quite sit right in the mix

would a u47 type mic fix that? or is there any other suggestions for an awesome vocal mic for his voice,

(that we can get to australia)
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Where's t.dizzle?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Guru

Other than sounding a bit dry, it sounds about what I would expect a solo'd vocal track with no effects to sound like.

You haven't mentioned the room you recorded in, it sounds a bit dead. I would do some experimenting with different spaces/distances before I would be too quick to give up on the U87.

I think the tone and pitch is there. Being about 90% of the battle. thumbsup
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Try a Rode Classic mate!
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

the room is a 2.5-2.5 meter room with metrofusers on the roof and 4 t fusers around the sides, bricks all around, wood floor decupled from floor, he is singing about 15-20 cm from the mic, how can i achieve a nice bright, polished,lush sound from this gear??? (settings you would use)

la2a
1176ln
distressor
buzz soc 1.1
rnc
dakin pre/eq (eq)
uad
waves
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

I think Wagner is from australia and to my knowledge he(and wunder audio) makes the best u47 clones, I havent use them but almost everybody in here agrees on this

the only thing is that theres a waiting list

http://www.wagner-microphones.com/

and..

here are some posts from a shootout of around 20 mics from $300 to $7000 US.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/search.php?searchid=3534124

you can download mp3

By the way Thanks to True North for this Excellent test
Old 1st February 2007
I found myself instantly disliking the sound. Sounds like the stack of the U87, a hot running P1, and some weird room (tunnelly) sound. Does the room have treatment for bass and low mids? I got that sound a while back when the performer inadvertently flipped the mic into omni.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

The vox sounded a little hot to me as well...maybe you're hitting something to hard somewhere.....otherwise it sounds like an 87 to me as well.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

The P Pops indicate maybe you need to back off an inch or two? Might help get rid of some of the mud too.
Nice lyric. Will you post your tune when it's done?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, I have a lot of the same gear so give this a shot.

1. U87 mic'ed about 5" to 8" away hung upside down and maybe just slightly above the mouth. With a bad sounding room you'll want it closer, but use the pad on the mic if it starts sounding harsh. The U87 ai doesn't handle loud voices very nicely. Don't be afraid to pad.

2. Daking pre: You'll probably need to pad it. Get a nice clean signal. Don't worry about getting it hot at the pre. Keep it kind of low with lots of headroom.

3. Daking EQ: Cut a bit at 250, add a bit at 12K, and try adding a tiny bit of 3K. A little goes a long way with the Daking.

4. Send that into the La-2a. I have an original from the 60's that is pretty magical, but the UA should be at least similar. Get it reducing about 7db to 10db at the peaks. Maybe around 60 on the peak reduction knob. Run the output pretty hot into...

5. The 1176. Now play with the input level of the 1176 and the output of the La-2a until you get a nice clean signal and again a peak reduction of about -7db to -10db. I prefer more output on the La-2a with a lower input on the 1176. I'd set the attack around 4 (on the slow slow side) and the release around 6 (on the fast side.) Try both 8:1 and 4:1. I usually go 8:1. Set the output to a strong but safe level into your converters.

6. A little convo room reverb. Turn it up till you can hear it, then bring it back a notch. Then add a nice lush long reverb and again bring it up till you hear it and bring it back a notch. Make sure the reverb isn't accentuating the ess's. The verb should be a little on the dark side.

Let me know if that does the trick.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

A 47 will be a bit richer, open and 3D sounding.

Not a night & day difference but maybe that's what you're hearing in your head.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

thanks guys for the input.

unfortunately i think i need a different mic for my taste, i want the vocals to sound a little more open, something thats gonna show off his voice (think rob thomas, dave mathews, switchfoot,jason mraz,)

i think i will hunt down a peluso 2247 or try a wunder cm7 or a wagner

i followed the steps that Rufuss posted, and here are the results,

http://www.myspace.com/airiusmusic
Attached Files
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

This post's title exhibits rudeness and a lack of class. Many a folk's livelyhood rely on the sales and reputation of this mic.

You might want to try to exercise some thought before carelessly posting a 3 exclamation point declaration.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

its just my opinion, sorry if i offended you
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

With my classic 87, (circa 1987) and my voice, I usually hi-pass around 100hz, do a little notch between 1K and 2K, and add a touch of hi shelf around 12.5 or 13K. Works like a charm.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I guess there's no accounting for taste, but that second one sounds pretty much perfect to me. Much better than the first. What are you monitoring on?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

Well it sounds good, but what you probably meant is, do I really need to pay that much when I can have better for less?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search