The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
using a POD XT for guitars on a pro recording?
Old 4th February 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The Pod is a tool. As such it is neither good nor bad. The musician and or engineer using the tool will vary from bad to good in their effectiveness at achieving their desired result when using that tool. To attach a moralized judgement to the outcome is as silly as it is futile. The best guitar sound in the world is the one the player likes the most at the time they made the record.

I'm not a hippy. I'm probably not ok and it is unlikely your are either. So be it. But to be a gear facist in a forum dedicated to the free exchange of ideas for mutual advantage does all involved a disservice. I do not have to like your record for it to have value. You may see what I have missed; but these things cut both ways.

So let's lighten up and respect the fact that there are likely to be several incompatible answers to the original question.

<flame suit>
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Amplitube is absolutely the best sounding guitar sim...hands down.

Here's a little blues jam my friend just whipped up using Amplitube on guitar and bass. This was just a quick little demo, so the rhythm is the Alnico Tweed preset and the lead is the Tweeds preset. I'm pretty blown away by the Tweed and AC30 models...the Marshall stuff is pretty awesome too...
Attached Files

Amplitube 2 Blues.mp3 (2.95 MB, 1366 views)

Old 12th February 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Your so right. It's a lame one liner that actually took up two lines. DUH!

PODs sound like ****. Any gtr player who uses one, has no concept of a quality gtr sound. Even worse is the producer or engineer who tracks one to tape. He should go for a career change and be forced to work at Walmart where he belongs

Youd be better off tracking a Marshall through a mackie than a
POD through a 1073

you jack ass
Your entitled to your opinion, obviously, but I don't agree w/that statement in the least. The guitarist/Worship Leader at my church is still recording with a Boss GT-5, which is over 11 years old, and still sounds great, and he uses it for amp modeling and effects, straight into the PA, live and studio recording. We have lots of studio/session guitarists and musicians coming through there, and he gets all sorts of compliments on his clean and lead tones. I would even put that thing up at the level of a POD XT (at least the latest 3.0 version).

Lincoln Brewster (another PRO artist) had the actual amp model of what he was using in the studio, and the POD XT, and A/B both of them, and nobody could tell the difference between the "actual" amp and the POD (and these were studio engineers and pros that he had do the comparison from what I understand, with great and transparent ears). I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but it goes to show that they have great tone. I bet you couldn't tell the difference and were fooled yourself, into thinking some recordings had real amplifiers when they didn't. We totally fooled a few people on the Seymour Duncan board that would literally rat out and slam PODs and Line 6 products like their lives depended on it, and we had our fun w/them...they ate their own words. LOL
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
POD can't beat ENGL 4000 $ head.
ENGL 4000 $ head can't beat POD.
Having both is kind of reconcilliation.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i've got a pod 2.0. it has this ugly grainy thing happening in the upper mids/treble, and most of the distorted sounds are just plain bad.

but it's saved my ass a few times when i was out on location and the amp i was meant to record was a total piece of crap. and my neighbours complain less when i use it instead of my ac30 for home demos.
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

I used one ages ago and it was convenient but i decided to compare it to micing my amp It was a different enough to where I re-recorded all the guitar parts. I would use the xt for background stuff that won't matter as much.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
No Reason to hate it

I am actually a fan of the POD and POD XT.

Over the years as I have added to my guitar amp collection (these are some of them):

Mesa Dual Rec Tremoverb Combo
Vox AC 30
Marshall JCM900
Peavey 5150

Now I pretty much use real amps and use the XT for overdubs on "flava" parts or just for scratch guitars when writing a song in my studio.

I absolutely love the POD XT for my worhsip team at church which now a days is a certified Rock band with about 250 songs in our catalog.

The POD's are great for people that do not have the budget for the real thing or want to demo at home.......Depending on the song I might actually keep the POD track..it just depends.

my 2 cents.......

Ric
Myspace.com/bombhouserecording
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
...for you Amplitube 2 fans there is a stomp I/O coming out in March (I believe that is what IK said).
Old 22nd February 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think maybe Sly has a good point - I've been trying amplitube 2 and tho it sounds pretty good at first, I notice a kind of haziness once I try to fit it into a mix, and it doesn't have any push - so you end up just trying to make it louder, and then it gets worse and worse.
Old 23rd February 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a podxt pro. I love it personally. Does it come close to an amp sound mic'd? no way, not even close. I love it cause it does sound really good and I can use it in my apartment. So... if you have a studio, or a space where you can crank your amp to 11 DO NOT GET A POD or any other guitar software, you already have the best setup. If you can't, then I would highly recommend the pod over other amp simulation software. For one, it doesn't crash or tax your cpu. No latency. And they update it all the time. Also, I'm talking about the podxt pro rack here, which sounds a LOT better than the bean pod.
Old 9th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a podxt when they came out to try and get that guitar sound for recording. I used it only a few times cos it sounded crap, I sold it and don't miss it. I've since bought a handwired class A valve amp that I run through a palmer speaker simulator pd03. This sounds extremely good. I slash the pre s on the amp inputs and turn down the volume on the pick-ups and it sounds sweet. I play an SG and it's just instant ACDC, no ****ing around. It's all about tone and this has it where as the xt doesn't. I wouldn't recommend line 6 gear to anyone it's bollocks.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
I have a podxt pro. I love it personally. Does it come close to an amp sound mic'd? no way, not even close. I love it cause it does sound really good and I can use it in my apartment. So... if you have a studio, or a space where you can crank your amp to 11 DO NOT GET A POD or any other guitar software, you already have the best setup. If you can't, then I would highly recommend the pod over other amp simulation software. For one, it doesn't crash or tax your cpu. No latency. And they update it all the time. Also, I'm talking about the podxt pro rack here, which sounds a LOT better than the bean pod.
How much better does the pod pro sound?

A
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok......so I have an OLD Pod Pro. Used it to record back when noise was an issue. Now I record everything through a bunch of different tube amps using a few different mic's.

That said.......when I really need to rock I STILL use the Pod in front of the amps to shape the sound with that Brit Hi Gain thing......Pod EQ's turned down, all other guitar signal chain intact.

I can't stop.

Maybe there is a twelve step thing for people like me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Ok......so I have an OLD Pod Pro. Used it to record back when noise was an issue. Now I record everything through a bunch of different tube amps using a few different mic's.

That said.......when I really need to rock I STILL use the Pod in front of the amps to shape the sound with that Brit Hi Gain thing......Pod EQ's turned down, all other guitar signal chain intact.

I can't stop.

Maybe there is a twelve step thing for people like me.
Return of the POD people! It's too late! What was that movie again. Ok, I just woke up and usually a little silly when I do. Your post made me laugh for some reason.

If you must use the POD, then by all means use it. But man, there's so many cool speakers you can buy now, so much happening with all the different amps out there. I'm having so much fun!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The POD Pro does sound better when you use the digital I/O, because the worst part of the regular POD is the D/A conversion. This is why Amp Farm sounds so much better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've tried and tried to use Amplitube and Guitar rig in a mix but always end up dissatsfied. It's good for writing and coming up with stuff but then I usually end up using a real amp. Funny thing with me; if something inpires me to come up with an idea such as the sound of an amp sim or podxt(which I have), I feel unethical about ommitting it from the finished product. If the magic was there upon its inception, I feel it has the right to remain. And that's where the problem is for me; how do I use those tones in a finished mix and not on there own? I don't do demos so to speak. That said, I have a Fender Super Reverb pre '64 (says made by Fender Electrical Instruments not Fender Musical Instruments). It sounds amazing still! I A/B'd it with the PODxt Fender Twin and was hard pressed to tell a diference. There are only a couple patches on the Podxt that I'll use and they are more for starting an idea. I only use patches that I can recreate with real amps. For instance, if I use an AC30 patch on the Podxt, I'll blend the track with an actual Vox. Make sense?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a LIne 6 Toneport, and it sounds ok for the occasional situation where the guitar player's amp is crap (can you say Crate?)

However, I don't like the sound of it, in general. It's hard to get a really good solid tone, and it does have the 'haziness' that others mention with the pod. I think it sounds better than the Pods (at least better than the one I used to have), but not in the same league as an actual amp.

So, my question is: Is there a good, small amp out there that would be good for taking on location, just to use with guitarists whose amps suck?

It should be flexible (able to do a decent cleanish thing) up to something pretty grungy and distorted. I'm think something like a tube combo with one 10" or 12" speaker.

I haven't bought a small amp in years, but I'm thinking this may be a better emergency plan than the toneport.

Maybe a SansAmp is good option, too?

(I'm not suggesting that the pod/toneport is a bad product or unusable, just that I don't think if has the 'guts' to be the only guitar tracks. It's like a cake with too much frosting, know what I mean?)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
Return of the POD people! It's too late!
It IS too late! You, too, will be assimilated (resistance is futile!).

You're right about the amps, though....getting my Peavey modded at the moment. New speaker, 'Fenderized' input. Line 6 is a good drug, but I LOVE my tube amps.

But.....'My name is Lenny, and I'm a Podaholic'.
Old 10th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
He he, Pod people. I love it!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
On my last cd I used my pod xt, but for most the tracks I used like that, I ran it through a real amp and mic'd it, don't remember using any direct in's for it....my latest stuff, I've been fortunate to borrow a few nice top hats and a fender, along with my ampeg, needless to say, I haven't touched the pod, but I might use it for some delay effects if my dl4 doesnt have what i'm looking for...i think the effects on it are pretty good.

And if you click on one of my links and listen to the song Far Away, that was done through the pod xt > ampeg rocketreverb > mic >pre, etc...I think those guitars are pretty good for that style...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rhythm guitar is a Pod through Carvin VT112, Fender Blues Jr. and Peavey C30....mixed on a stereo track.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4903132
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Suitcase View Post
So, my question is: Is there a good, small amp out there that would be good for taking on location, just to use with guitarists whose amps suck?

It should be flexible (able to do a decent cleanish thing) up to something pretty grungy and distorted. I'm think something like a tube combo with one 10" or 12" speaker.
Fender Blues Jr. and/or Pro Jr.

PJ is smaller, simpler (vol and tone), a littler grittier and a bit noisier for recording.
BJ has master vol and EQ section.
Very sweet when used together.

Both electric guits ('71 SG) in this cut went through the two together.....lead is through TS9 and Fulltone Soulbender. No Pod was used in this recording.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5052625
Old 17th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
i really like the pod XT

Of course you have to tweak it a lot, but you can get some great results, sure lots of people hates it...Most of them never went further than fukking around with the presets... As mentioned before the latest modeled amps than you can dowload from line 6 website and the extra packs are worth it. I don't say it's the best ever solution for recording guitar or that real amps are ****...Of course not. But it a damn powerful tool and can be extremely useful.
We have both an XT pro and a normal XT. To our hears, there's no difference between the 2 (using the digital out of the pro or the analog out of the normal XT) but the pro offers some cool feature like reamping.
Special mention to the bass pod xt....Great tone. I think you can get the bass pack for the guitat pod xt now.

The normal xt can be used via usb - isn't that digital as well?

Booda
πŸ“ Reply