The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sleepless nights Monitor Hunting
Old 18th February 2016
Sleepless nights Monitor Hunting

I'm lying sleepless at night thinking of which Monitors to get, I know it sounds silly. I've listened to bunch of them (A7X, EVE SC207, HS7 to mention a few) but I'm totally stuck mentally.

The studio is very small, I'm looking for something honest that doesn't fatigue my ears for long sessions. I want an honest/flat monitor. And I'm planning to use the Sonarworks software to help me calibrate my room.

I want to be able to hear the low-end well it's very important, of course a small room wont make it easier. It's dead silent in there I really like it.

I'm using a pair of Auartones too they have served me very well in the mid freq.

But the bass is so hard to get right right now with my other monitors.

How should I think? What should I look for? should I get a subwoofer?
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Addict

I have worked in a room much like you describe.
Look for a cheap consumer-fi sub. Something self powered with a crossover adjustment (might need it pretty high ...180/200?), phase reverse switch. Used, these are ridiculously cheap.
As for monitors, your Auratones will probably be your main mixing tool. The others are for dialing in the highs/overall vibe, which they all should do pretty great ...and sub/auratones/headphones for lows.
So in that regard, which monitors are cheapest? And which do you like looking at? Thats probably where I would start.
I go to guitar center and they all sound very slightly different, but mostly they sound similar. None jump out at me and says "I sound incredible!" Honestly they ALL sound nasty to me, if I really want to be judgmental. If it sounds good it is good, is not true for nearfields I guess. Raspy highs forever. Once in the studio though, it would be pretty hard to accidentally make a mix that is too much treble. I tend to like KRK because some of my earliest mixes we used those and things translated really nice (while using a $50 computer-fi sub, btw).
Old 8th April 2016
Sonodyne srp400 + m50x headphones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search