The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RNC on overheads
Old 31st January 2007
RNC on overheads

I was thinking about tracking with my rnc on overheads live. Can I use one RNC in stereo so when I send my left and right out of my pacifica into the rnc then to my coverter will the two tracks still be isolated even though they are getting the same compression treatment on both sides? I have never done this. I just want to tame the snare from poping out of my overheads. What setting do you recomend?
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
will the two tracks still be isolated even though they are getting the same compression treatment on both sides?
If you're asking what I think you're asking, then yes. the audio info going in the left channel will still come out the left channel and the audio going into the right channel will still come out the right channel. they wont "mix" inside the RNC.

I have to admit though, I was kind of dissapointed when using the RNC on stereo OH or full drum mixes. It messed with the clarity and stereo separation on the high end like cymbals. I seemed to lose the width in my stereo spread. that was when my love affair with the RNC began to fade.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with most stereo compressors on OH or if it's limited to the RNC.

On a related note, if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced stereo compressor that's really good for this purpose, that would be great.
Old 31st January 2007
Yikes! That's not good if it's gonna take away. You did answer my question about the left and right seperation!

Thanks
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

personally, i've always felt the RNC was a little "slow" for drums, but i HAVE used it with success on overheads. i haven't had the problem with it collapsing the stereo image, but as always, YMMV.

as stated above, left will be left and right will be right.

i've got a hit and miss love affair with my RNC. some days i really seem to love it on things like acoustic guitars and vocals, but then some days i absolutely hate it.

and i must be one of the only people in the world who prefer "regular" mode to the "supernice" mode. i don't like "supernice" at all.

cheers,
wade
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I like Regular mode, too. Super Nice sometimes seems a little "suffocating" on the source, if that makes sense. If that's what you're after, then, that's different, of course. I've always thought the virtue of the RNC—aside from its price—is its seeming transparency: When set to relatively benign settings, it seems to get out of the way "nicely." (Sorry...)

I've used RNC on OH but don't love it. I agree with what's been said about a little smearing perhaps going on with the stereo image. It's not terrible, but not lovely. And if you're depending on the OH to provide coherence and a good bit of the full-kit sound, it doesn't seem to quite work out as planned.

FWIW.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I used it on a trashy "hallway" mic once. It turned out all right, the transients were shot, which is what we were going for. I don't think I would like it on the overheads or room mics, tho.
Old 31st January 2007
Thanks guys I will just use a comp plugin later in my daw. At least there it won't be permanent.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

for oh's i normally use the waves ssl E channel... with the hpf set to cut out the BD... it's great for that...
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

RNC's the only limiter that can nearly duplicate my Allison Research Gain Brains when used on overheads. Gives that first QOTSA album sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search