The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Car amplifier into studio monitors?
Old 31st January 2007
Here for the gear

Car amplifier into studio monitors?

Can I use a 12v car stereo amplifier to power my monitors? If so, any recommendations for accuracy?

I bought a sailboat and am converting it into my studio. I'm getting some passive monitors, like Dynaudio BM6P, that I will take apart and build into the cabinets. By using the 12v system of the boat, I could monitor when not at a dock. That would be friggin sweet!

BTW, the boat is a great listening environment. No parallel walls, fiberglass lets the bass through/acts as a flexural absorber, and the teak interior has a pleasant sound. My HHB circle 5 actives sounded better than I'd ever heard them. Then of course after hours of building them in, I fried one by connecting the tweeter output to the woofer. rrrg...
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Try this.... heh

I've always wanted one!
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

as long as the amp is rated to handle the load of the seakers you certainly can. bear in mind that most car amps are designed to run at 4 or even 2ohms where as most speaker cabinated will be between 6-8ohms. most amps will handle it fine but check the specs first.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Nut

why not just run the 12v source into an inverter and use powered monitors or a real monitor power amp? If you do, just make sure the line is fused and you have something with a higher wattage level than what the amp/monitor's peak at.

I have a ton of experience in the 12v field from installing a/v/security in cars and boats, so if you have any questions regarding, let me know.

just my $.02
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Nut

Won't you be losing the acoustic effect of the DynAudio speaker enclosure? Isn't that an integral part of the sound?

Don
Old 3rd February 2007

He'll be fine if he knows what he's doing. making a box about the same size and shape isn't hard and he can reuse the same port.

The diffraction will be different when soffit mounted, but the acoustics of a sailboat cabin are gonna have more coloration than that.....

-tINY

Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks all. Turns out the boat is smarter than me, and the AC outlets automatically draw from the batteries when no AC source is present. Though that mcintosh amp looks sweet, now I can get a regular power amp.

Yeah, I lose the acoustic properties of the cabinets. But it still sounds way better than my previous mixing room, where I had $3k worth of room treatment.
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

What a lovely idea! A studio at sea. You'll never have to worry about neighbors telling you to turn it down If I may ask, what kind of boat is it and where is it located?
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvollrath View Post
What a lovely idea! A studio at sea. You'll never have to worry about neighbors telling you to turn it down If I may ask, what kind of boat is it and where is it located?
Hunter 376. Channel Islands near Ventura, CA. The biggest problem I've had is that it's scary taking it out with all my music stuff on there- if the thing sinks, I might as well go down with it. Gonna get another hard drive to leave at the dock. Best thing about the boat is that it makes music gear look cheap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search