The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me spend $20k wisely.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear
Help me spend $20k wisely.

I've got about $20k to spend on new gear and am soon finishing my home studio build. Really trying to figure out where to spend the money that gets me best bang for the buck. I play a variety of rock from classic rock to Jack White/Black Keys to alternative Foo Fighters rock. My current gear list is as follows:

-Gibson SG
-Agile Les Paul
-Fender Standard Strat
-Fender Standard J Bass
-Axe FX Ultra
-Orange Tiny Terror
-Fender Blues Jr
-Roland Fantom X8
-Roland TD4 electronic drum kit feeding Superior Drummer and SSD3
-2008 Mac Pro 8 core
-Logic 9
-Multitude of plugins
-Custom studio desk/accommodates 88 key keyboard
-Mackie Onyx 400F interface
-Shure Sm7b dynamic mic
-Sterling Audio ST77 condenser mic
-Tons of GIK Acoustic treatment

At this point here is the gear I'm debating- curious to know your thoughts on whether I can get more quality in other places. My space really cannot accomodate a live drum kit for space/noise purposes, unfortunately, hence the electronic drums.

-Upgrade to Roland TD30kv eKit (About $5500 used)
-Metric Halo ULN8 or LIO8 ($3k used)
-Fender American P Bass ($1k used)
-A nice channel strip with pre/eq/comp (couple grand) OR
-Outboard pre, outboard eq, and outboard comp separately.
-A nice condenser mic (couple grand)

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Put the $20k in the bank and save for retirement. You already have ample gear to make an album. It may not be fun but it's wise (which is what you asked).
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Put the $20k in the bank and save for retirement. You already have ample gear to make an album. It may not be fun but it's wise (which is what you asked).
Want to counter that by saying, *if* you have this money to spend on luxury, more power to you. Plenty of people have ample retirement savings and manage to save for motorcycles or boats, or whatever they're into. There's nothing wrong with spending money for your own enjoyment if you've already got your financial house in order.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear
I do appreciate the concern guys but I'm pretty well set on the retirement front. Not the type to blow money unwisely. I was fortunate enough to make a $100k profit on a home sale this summer, downsized, built my own studio, and now need the equipment to go with it.

That said, I have no interest in spending the money on anything that doesn't bring substantial results. I'd like to find gear that will hold its value and do its job well for a long long time.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear
In that case - if it were me and you're talking about recording - I'd buy a nice tube LDC [$1.5k-$5k], a few used 441s [$450-$550 each], as many Daking preamps [or equivalent quality/cost ratio] as you need at once, stereo EQ and comp [$2k-$6k] for mixbus and tracking, a pair of SDC's [$1.5k-$3k] and a new interface or converters. In that order. Throw in a nice ribbon or two if you've got leftover. I'm also ignoring the idea of the $5500 electronic drum kit, because that just seems absurd unless you're a great drummer with very specific needs. You could probably throw an actual drum set in there too if you're a drummer.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

What do you feel your recordings lack?

Maybe that will guide people to give you better, tailored advice.

Depending on your goals, I'd recommend different things.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search