The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Midas Venice F-Series Tips&tricks.
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Midas Venice F-Series Tips&tricks.

Ok, so I've been using my Venice F32 for a few weeks now and I thought it could be useful to create a thread about some tips & tricks users here have shared with a few of my own. This may be old news for some and handy for others so YMMV. Feel free to add anything useful..

-Want to use your Venice with new Windows or OSX versions? The latest driver is available here under the F24 download page: MIDAS | MUSIC Group

-Not getting audio when monitoring? Make sure you solo the Master fader, it is a live desk after all. Patch the local outputs to your monitors, not the master outs.

-No inserts on the master bus to DAW? Simply route the stereo master to Matrix 1&2, engage the split source & Matrix 1-2 override to Channel 29-30 and print back to DAW on inputs 29-30. You also gain a record level out via the Matrix this way.

-No insert switch on the master bus? Here is what I do, using the prior trick, create a duplicate print track in your DAW and set it to inputs 31-32. By switching the override buttons from matrix to master you can compare pre and post insert levels, effectively creating a insert on/off switch.

-Wanna use those great Midas pres to increase gain/saturate your firewire return or use the phase & Lo cut switch? Take a Y TRS insert jack and patch the tip to direct out and ring to line in, creating a loop via the preamp section. Works awesome on transients/bass/vox but make sure the firewire direct out is set to pre or you'll get nasty feedback. You can also insert a real comp/eq in the chain as well.

-Dont own outboard FX and want to ride those auxes? Punch in firewire override outputs 25-26 & 27-28 and set aux tracks in your DAW to inputs 25-26 & 27-28 and insert your favorite FX plugins and drive those using auxes 1-4 on the board. Set the returns to mono or stereo inputs to control the FX level and send back to other auxes if need be. Caveat: By using trick number 3 you lose access to monitor sends 1-2 because of the matrix override but you still get to use 4 physical knobs to drive your reverbs/delays, fun!

-You're a lazy Pro Tools user and dont want to rename the I/O setup? Here it is for you (F32) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nice%20F32.pio

-Dont like the fact that when you track, the channels firewire output is pre-fader? Use this mod, courtesy of member reverberation: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10879755-post776.html
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Thank you!

A very generous thread that sure will be helpful when I get my console. I do hope that others will chime in and keep this thread packed with ideas and observations. Thanks again!
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Old 20th February 2016
Gear Addict

If you plug your monitors into Local Right and Local Left, solo the stereo bus (the yellow solo switch second from the bottom right) and control output with the red fader and the local monitor section volume(s), it starts to behave like a studio mixer and solo and mute buttons and stereo groups start behaving like you'd want.

-kirk
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Addict
is there any way to aggregate another audio interface with the midas internal one (in osx)? i have a mytek 8 adda which sounds great but it starts distorting after a while when running together so i dont know what to do ...
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
is there any way to aggregate another audio interface with the midas internal one (in osx)? i have a mytek 8 adda which sounds great but it starts distorting after a while when running together so i dont know what to do ...
Sounds like a clocking issue which brings up an interesting topic about the Venice, clocking. Is it possible to clock the Midas externally with stability? Clocking multiple devices over firewire has been sort of a hit or miss situation in general. Others may chime in but regarding your setup, the Mytek has a solid clock so you would want to set it as the master but the lack of word clock on the Venice might require that it is set to master and the Mytek as slave.. Ymmv.
Old 21st February 2016
Gear Addict
i never really dealt with clocking tbh ... so this would be the only option? i think i actually might have tried it before ...
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

The aggregate device needs to define a master to work properly. How is your Mytek connected to your Mac? In the Midas control panel can you set the master to be the Mytek?
Old 21st February 2016
Gear Addict
mytek is connected also via firewire. not sure if i can select the mytek in the midas FW. will have a look tomorrow - i dont think i can tho.
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Addict

OK DESIGN FLAW. The F32 fader knobs are like a quarter inch off the deck and its super easy to accidentally flip a cable under there and pull a fader out of the board. I don't mean the fader knob, I mean the metal shaft the knob is mounted on.

Anybody know if there's a way to get the shaft reattached to the interior of the fader?

-Kirk
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
mytek is connected also via firewire. not sure if i can select the mytek in the midas FW. will have a look tomorrow - i dont think i can tho.
So how is the clocking doing?
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkhawley View Post
OK DESIGN FLAW. The F32 fader knobs are like a quarter inch off the deck and its super easy to accidentally flip a cable under there and pull a fader out of the board. I don't mean the fader knob, I mean the metal shaft the knob is mounted on.

Anybody know if there's a way to get the shaft reattached to the interior of the fader?

-Kirk
I've yet to open mine so cant be of much help but maybe try contacting member reverberation (see 1st post) who has modded his?
Old 29th February 2016
Here for the gear
Midas Venice F24 latency

Hello everybody -

I am running Logic Pro X with a Black Mac Pro 3.5 ghz 6-core and I have latency with the Venice F24

Any suggestions to alleviate this would be greatly appreciated.

THANX !
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglenny46 View Post
Hello everybody -

I am running Logic Pro X with a Black Mac Pro 3.5 ghz 6-core and I have latency with the Venice F24

Any suggestions to alleviate this would be greatly appreciated.

THANX !
Try setting the Midas FW control panel to low latency mode?
Am on PT so cant help much with Logic, sorry..
Old 29th February 2016
Here for the gear
Midas Venice F24 latency

Yes I have tried that.

It is such a bummer, I have the board till tomorrow to decide if I would like to keep it.
It sounds so good, and is so fun to use, except for the latency issue.

I am on the fence about keeping it, if I can only mix out of the computer with it.
Old 29th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I have tried that.

It is such a bummer, I have the board till tomorrow to decide if I would like to keep it.

I am on the fence about keeping it, if I can only mix out of the computer with it.
I'm sure you've tried with various buffer settings so maybe its something to do with your routing?
i haven't had any latency issues with Pro Tools, using low latency mode and buffer setting at 256 on my 4,1 Mac Pro..

Last edited by lozion; 29th February 2016 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: precision
Old 2nd March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes I have tried that.

Dear biglenny46,

Please allow me to introduce myself; my name is Zac Ross and I am a Care Technician at Music in Las Vegas, Nevada where we service where we service and manage spare parts for all Music brands.

In regards to your VF24, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please let me know what we can do to help resolve the current situation.

Lastly, you may reach us at [email protected] for professional products by phone at +1-702-800-8290 (US) or +44 1562 732290 (UK).

Let’s keep in touch,

Zac Ross
Technician, Customer Care
Music
Midas
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Midas F Series are now discontinued according to two retailers ive recently spoken with. Was looking to get one here in the UK but everywhere is out of stock and no more coming.
Old 2nd March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Midas F Series are now discontinued according to two retailers ive recently spoken with. Was looking to get one here in the UK but everywhere is out of stock and no more coming.

And as I said somewhere else yesterday, I think, a week and a half ago Sweetwater shipped me a replacement F32 faster than you could say Jack Robinson.

-Kirk
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkhawley View Post
And as I said somewhere else yesterday, I think, a week and a half ago Sweetwater shipped me a replacement F32 faster than you could say Jack Robinson.

-Kirk
From what I know, these are just remaining stocks that are being sold off now, once these are sold thats it. SSE audio and DV247 both confirmed this and Thomann now say it's no longer part of their inventory.

Last edited by goldphinga; 2nd March 2016 at 08:12 PM..
Old 2nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Zac, is this true, the F32 is discontinued?
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
Zac, is this true, the F32 is discontinued?
Dear Lozion,

Please give me some time to acquire an official answer. Thanks!

Let’s keep in touch.
Zac Ross
Music
Midas
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Ross View Post
Dear Lozion,

Let’s keep in touch.
Zac Ross
Music
Midas
And?
Old 28th March 2016
Lives for gear

my midas setup - some tips/tricks

I've had my F32 for several years now, and initially - it was a bit hard to wrap my head around as it was so different than studio boards i was used to, and also so many possible ways to accomplish the same thing due to the great feature set....definitely the "live" heritage of the company showing through on this board, even though it is a great studio board also.

i've come up with a few ways of using the board that work very well in my setup, and wanted to share. I know some of you probably use these methods, but i chat with a lot of folks who are surprised at a few of these things, and there are also just a lot of people on here who are new to the board who might benefit from seeing how others use things.

here is how my tracking setup works:

i use the local monitor headphone output to run into my headphone amp as a secondary input. this input is meant for a click track, reference track, or whatever, and you can choose to hear only the main input, only the aux input, or blend both to taste. (on my headphone amp, each listener can choose individually - this isn't a master function).

My main headphone feed is from the insert on the main outs. Plug-in 1/2way and you get the send only. it fits snugly enough that i have no concern of it working loose.

so when recording a band, the levels going to tape are set with the gain at the top of the strip - sometimes i include the EQ, and sometimes i don't. the monitor section can be used to create a "more me" mix - i use monitor 1 for left, monitor 2 for right, or both to put the sound in the center. usually I only have 1 or maybe 2 people out of a band that actually need this to track well, so i find its a good way to use this functionality. just patch it into the appropriate headphone feed and let them blend it in to taste.

aux 1-2 are hardwired into a simple FX unit, generally set for Delay, but able to do whatever... this is only in the headphone mix, not going to tape.

aux 3-4 are hardwired into my high end reverb unit, again just in their mix, not going to tape.

the mix that the band is actually hearing is based on the fader settings, so its very easy during a session to juggle things around to get the mix feeling good in their headphones. If i flip on the studio monitors, i'm hearing the same thing as them (other than any "more me" stuff).

while the band is playing, I can hit SOLO and check out a single mic/track without bothering them, because the solo function acts only on the local monitor... meaning that goes to the aux input on my headphone amp. So i can set my headphone amp to listen to just the aux (solo mix) or a blend of both. I generally prefer the blend approach. So i'll have the band playing quietly in my phones and when i solo a track, the volume of that track just jumps up to the forefront where it stands out, but i can still hear it in the context of the band. Then i just sweep my blend over farther to the aux input if i really need to get critical with my listening on the solo'd track. it works really well. even when i had a multiroom studio i was often using phones for checking mics/setting levels, but i'm now in a one-room studio so it's always the phones for me at this point. But, if i ever did want to hear the solo's through my speakers, you can just send the local monitor output to a switching station and switch your speakers between inputs.

I used to use buss 1-2 to run the main headphone mix, but i like that i was able to free up the busses by using the insert on the main out.

during tracking i'll occasionally use a bus to allow me to record a processed and unprocessed track at the same time. For example, I might route the bass track to a buss, and then have a compressor on that buss. I can record that track, but as a safety measure (or for creative reasons) i can also capture the unprocessed track at the same time. Sometimes the busses are handy for running off a rough mix of the tracking session for the band to take home and listen to - not that its hard to do that from your DAW, but it is still pretty handy. The only other use i've really had for the buss groups during tracking is making another mix, minus certain tracks. for example, the drummer wanting no drums in the phones, just other band members. send the appropriate tracks to the busses and patch that into his phones.

During mixing, the yellow mono fader comes in handy - i have that feeding into an auratone type mono speaker as an easy way for me to check mixes in mono.

I use pro tools and i set up custom labels for all of the I/O so its very easy to route anything to the board. Sometimes i will use the board for summing, sometimes i'll use the board to record fader moves on a track where automating with the mouse just isn't doing it for me...So i'll actually take the audio, route to board, ride the fader manually, and then route it back into pro tools on another track. Sometimes when doing overdubs i also find it handy to route tracks to the mixer so that i have quick and easy tactile control over levels, mutes, etc. honestly though, i don't do a lot of mix trickery with it and i'm usually running everything ITB or everything through the board.

In all of my sessions, I have my main outputs go to fader 31-32 rather than 1-2. It just find it feels more natural to control it on that side, over by the busses and other masters.

so there is a quick rundown of how i use the board. i hope that someone finds that helpful.

OH - I'm installing a new fan in my board as soon as i'm done with my current project - so maybe in a week or two. now that i'm in a one-room studio again the fan noise is absolutely unacceptable. I suspect that i can cut the fan noise in 1/2 while actually increasing the cooling... i'll report more on that later.
Old 7th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Ross View Post
Dear Lozion,

Let’s keep in touch.
Zac Ross
Music
Midas
Bump?
Old 7th April 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks for this thread, many ideas to try, thanks.
Old 18th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
-No inserts on the master bus to DAW? Simply route the stereo master to Matrix 1&2, engage the split source & Matrix 1-2 override to Channel 29-30 and print back to DAW on inputs 29-30. You also gain a record level out via the Matrix this way.
Thanks for this. I've just ordered an SSL XLogic G-series Bus Compressor and was going to use it on the busses only, but now I can use it on the master and that makes me very happy
Old 1st May 2016
Here for the gear
HI, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have logic and the same issue... the desk is so close to being the absolute swiss army knife, but not with the latency as it is on logic... cheers
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Nut
This is off topic from the OP's post, but I put this question up and no one has answered it yet. I figured since there are some Midas Venice users in here, maybe I could get some answers.

A Midas Venice F24 console is up for sale in my local area at a modest price. I've never used one, but it seems from what I've read here at GS, they're pretty decent, particularly for the cost.

I've got my eye on and am seriously considering it, but I am curious to know:

1. How users feel about the converters and clock that are built in to these consoles? Would I want to get external on either?

2. Is it possible to line in with external pres and bypass the Midas preamp stage with these consoles? I read in a different thread that the line in actually goes through the pres. Is there a way around this? I have some other pres (RND 511's) that I love and think would be useful in certain situations, I am hoping that I can make all the gear play nice with each other.

Also, the seller says that the Midas sounds better than an Amek BC3 he previously owned. Unless I am mistaken, that Amek model contained Neve designed pres..So to me, that seems like a pretty bold declaration on part of the seller. Is he full of $h!t or what?

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

Line in does go through the F preamps which in Midas's case in actually a good thing. I often take the DA out the board and re-inject line level signal via the insert trick mentionned in my post to add some mojo..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search