The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Design for Router / Mixer
Old 30th January 2007
My Design for Router / Mixer

Ok, so I've got a Summing Amp, a few Mic-Pres, and a bunch of other outboard gear and I want to make use of it all as much as I can, whether it be for tracking, mixing or home mastering. I've got a patchbay, but it gives me a headache trying to configure how to best route the audio, and there are a ton of things I wish I'd be able to do at the flick of a switch, as I would with a console.

I know very little about electronics, but I do like inventing and building stuff, so I spent some time designing a router and wanted to get some feedback as to whether this would be possible to make and who would be a good company to commission to build a custom design like this.

Here's a run down of the key elements I'm trying to acheive for each channel of the router and would like to squeeze 16 channels side by side into a 3U or 4U rack mountable unit:

1) Monitor and/or record a Mic-Pre/DI signal whilst monitoring a line signal, through the same channel of the summer.

2) Send the Mic-Pre input or the line input or both or neither to an insert point.

3) Route the insert return to the record output or the mix output or both or neither.

4) Stepped (passive) attenuater / input gain knob for Line Input.

5) Select to send the line input to the mic-pre.

Each channel has 4 inputs: Line, Mic, Mic-Pre and Insert Return; 4 outputs: Mix, Mic-Pre, Rec and Insert Send.

Hope you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
My Design for Router / Mixer-router2-copy.jpg  
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

Yes its cool!!!!
The circuit is very short now you can put the top component!!!
Old 30th January 2007
Here for the gear

Go here------>

Ooops!

Last edited by Jerry Pbury; 30th January 2007 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Double post
Old 30th January 2007
Here for the gear

Post about it in this forum----->

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Should get a lot of help.

Jerry
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, rather than spending a ton of time building a router why don't you spend sometime learning your patchbay. You could waste a lot of time trying to build the router and may never get it operating or sounding the way you want it to.

If you are struggling with your patchbay and have any questions about setting it up please ask away.
Old 30th January 2007
Cheers.

Its not that there's anything I don't understand about my patchbay, its just that there never seems to be two situations that are the same when I've only got a small selection of outboard being used for numerous purposes. My above design is just a way to make my life easier, and, possibly cheaper if I don't need to buy a load of in-line pads, a sub mixer, more patchbays, etc.

And I certainly don't plan to build this myself; I'm trying to find out if it is possible to build.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Temas and all,
Your design is good, but maybe the other poster was right when saying that it is too much effort for a relatively simple task. If you don't like swapping patch cords around, maybe this product (Smartpatch from Signex) can help you:
http://www.signexweb.co.uk/Docs/1.%2...Smartpatch.pdf
Carles
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

It could be easier, but I doubt cheaper by the time you purchase all of the parts and pay for someone to assemble it. Plus, you would still need someone to design it. Ultimately you could probably get a lot of patchbays.

Sorry if I am ruining your idea, but I don't want you to get half way through this project only to realize it's going to cost double what you thought it would.
Old 31st January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwinter View Post
have any questions about setting it up please ask away.
Ok. Say I'm overdubbing some guitar, but all the input channels on my N16 are already used up, so I can't monitor the new takes without taking something out of the mix to free up a channel, which I don't want to do, cause the song will sound wrong when I'm doing the new take. So I thought, it would be great to send 2 signals to 1 channel, which a patchbay can't do, so I need a sub-mixer. But then, if I'm over-dubbing drums, god I'm gonna need at least 8 individual 2:1 sub-mixers.

So, lets say I've bought the sub-mixers or devised a way to send 32 tracks into 16 channels, and now I can hear the new takes and playback when doing the over-dubs. The original guitar take was tracked without eq, but in the mix I've decided to send it to an outboard and now it sounds very different. So I want to hear the original take and the new take through the eq, but record the new take without eq so that when I cut and paste the new bit in it'll all go through the eq together and join seemlessly. Then I'm overdubbing the bass, but this time I recorded it with eq so I want to hear the original take without eq, but hear and record the new take with eq. If you can figure out how to do this with a patchbay, you're a genius, but with my router, I can switch between these 2 modes of working in less than 1 second.

Next. There's no input volume knobs on my N16, as is the case with 50-75% of summing units, so I figure it'd be handy to have a multi-channel stepped volume controller to control the input volumes of the DAW playback. Having the stepped attenuaters now means that I can send hot DAW input signals to my mic-pres if need be. I can now also send tracks out of my DAW at full resolution and adjust the gain in the analog domain which will be much better quality. I guess 3 A-Designs Atty 2'Ds might work here, or 2 Dangerous Mixers, but they're not stepped or recallable.

The closest easy solution, is to buy a 28 channel X-rack, which would give me 16 channels for mixing and 12 for tracking. But even the X-rack won't give me as many routing options as my router design, so I figure if I can get it made for less than $9,000 then its definately worth developing the idea a little further.

But like I said, I know very little about electronics, so I'm hoping to get some techy feeback about whether this is possible.

Thanks again for your replies.

thumbsup
Old 31st January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi Temas and all,
maybe this product (Smartpatch from Signex) can help you:
http://www.signexweb.co.uk/Docs/1.%2...Smartpatch.pdf
Carles
Yeah, I've seen them.

GlenSound make a router that is more the kind of thing I need.

go here http://www.glensound.co.uk/ then click on 'Router'

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search