The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tight kick mic
Old 30th January 2007
Tight kick mic

Have become accustomes to micing the beater side with an sm98 and I was thinking of trying a mic for the resonant side for the bottom. I need something with a more focused bottom. I have an RE20 which is cool but thinking maybe a beta 52? I going for that nice tight classic sound not metal.

Thanks
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Have become accustomes to micing the beater side with an sm98 and I was thinking of trying a mic for the resonant side for the bottom. I need something with a more focused bottom. I have an RE20 which is cool but thinking maybe a beta 52? I going for that nice tight classic sound not metal.

Thanks
I've also gotten into mic'ing the front side of the beater. Its kinda cool, and sometimes comes in very handy. Not always, but its nice to have for a different tone. I tend to think it more accurately represents what the drummer is hearing.

I've augmented with a Beta52 (which I try not to use whenever possible) or an Audix D6 (usually better) or a D12

It all depends on the kic and the room and how its tuned.

I've also gotten into building a "tunnel" and mic'ing that with a condenser, but I've only gotten so-so results, I think I need better "tunnel" materials.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt View Post
I've also gotten into mic'ing the front side of the beater. Its kinda cool, and sometimes comes in very handy. Not always, but its nice to have for a different tone. I tend to think it more accurately represents what the drummer is hearing.

I've augmented with a Beta52 (which I try not to use whenever possible) or an Audix D6 (usually better) or a D12

It all depends on the kic and the room and how its tuned.

I've also gotten into building a "tunnel" and mic'ing that with a condenser, but I've only gotten so-so results, I think I need better "tunnel" materials.
tunnels can be cool.... once i had this drummer come in with one of those half-depth bass drums and the only way i could get a good sound with that BD was using a tunnel ( i normally use a thick camping sleeping bag i have and hold it together with mic stands.. but any heavy draping material should work...)

currently i am using a beyer M380TG and a Beta52 for bass drum.. but i want to try the yamaha subkick (or make one of my own..)
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post

Thanks
I did one of those Saturday kick mic testing sessions several years ago, and one of the mics was the Beta 52.
For my test, with my kick drum, in my studio, etc. etc.....
I liked the beta 52, but would describe it more as "loose", surely not tight.
The EV 868 sounded quite good and tight in comparison.
Good luck Brotha!
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

421. Tightest kick mic out there!
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

I used the D112 for many years on kick but replaced it with the Beta 52. Much better for what I do which is rock and country. For a more old school/indie sound, try a tube mic set to -10 or -20 dB pad. Very warm. Nice for funk music, blues, indie rock. Bart
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think it's going to be hard to say without hearing the kick itself, and how it's tuned. It's probably more the tuning/head/bevels/beater/etc than the mics. Also, just the positioning of course matters a ton, and the preamp.

Maybe tune up the resonant head a bit? Kick drums can be a bitch. I found mine MUCH easier to tune when it's really sitting on a solid surface with something under it. Upstairs at my house it shook everything too much to hear clearly, in the garage on the bare floor it rattled too much. Put a short rug undernearth almost immediately (duh), and it was very usable
Old 30th January 2007
its a 22" birch sonor with super kick 2. Api 312
Old 30th January 2007
Deleted User
i find my D6 much more usable than my beta52 in most situations. it just gives me more to work with frequency wise. i dont own one, but i can imagine the re20 would give you better results than the beta52.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

lately, i've been finding my beta 52 to be lacking. i love the md421 on the kick, but my only one has been on floor tom duties.

IMO, the best thing for kick was putting it through some API flavor and a 560 eq, which i have regretfully sold. although the URS A10 has done a decent job of picking up the slack.

if you're looking for a beta 52, i may be interested in a trade for another "kick" mic or straight up sell. let me know if you or anyone is interested.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Beta 52 or AE2500 with a Beta 91...yummy
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I like d6, atm25, or 421 always w/ an earthworks kickpad
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlivermore View Post
421. Tightest kick mic out there!
thumbsup
Old 30th January 2007
I third the 421 suggestion. Boost a little low shelf, and it's golden!! I also recently re-discovered the RE20. It's not just for vintagey sounding kicks. Try it!
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Funny, I do the opposite. A couple of clicks of bass roll off on the MD421 and I get a nice tight sound. Seems counterintuitive for a bass drum I know....but then I do that in concert with a subkick.

You kind of get that typical bass drum EQ curve w/o eq
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear
Beyer M88 or the EV 868
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I have three kick mics that I rotate between. The tightest would be my 421, than a Senn. e602, and last, being the "loosest" would be my Beta 52.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have a D112, D12, Beta52, 421 and D6. I find that the Audix D6 has the punchiest front end sound of them all. I usually blend 3 though. One of the above, Subkick and U47fet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search