The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
shockmount alternative for Mojave MA200?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

shockmount alternative for Mojave MA200?

I've just tried a MA200 for a couple of days and am seriously thinking about keeping it.
But I'll probably want to replace the shockmount with something a bit more...substantial, more like a Neuman shockmount (the one from a TLM103 didn't fit).

What's the thread size on the Mojave, and are there any aftermarket shockmounts worth checking out?

Thanks.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

bump

anyone?

Old 29th January 2007
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Check this one out . . . Here

They look cool, but they are expensive too.

I would also look into shock mounts from Audio Technica. I am not
positive anything would fit, but, I have had luck with thier shockmounts
on AKG 451's (totally different than the mojave I know).

good luck!
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Just as an update: I got lucky with the one Samson make. The thread fits perfectly.
Still chinese, but less "Behringy"heh
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Question from a relatively new newbie...I own the Mojave MA-200 and love it and haven't heard any problems from the shockmount that came with it...why would one want a different shockmount than the one that fits and comes with a mic? I don't know how the Mojave stacks up to other mics but it was a huge step up for me from a NT1A and I love it.
Cameron
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

It just feels very cheap and is a pain to adjust precisely. Just not as smooth as for instance a Neumann shockmount.
Small stuff, really, but it does get in the way of workflow.
Still, I'd rather they save money on the shockmount than on any other part of that mic.
And as for the mic itself: no complaints!
Old 8th February 2007
Here for the gear

Hi Cameron,

This may answer your question and provide an insight as to why I designed the
Enhanced Audio M600 Universal Microphone Mount.

The idea for design of the M600 came to me while working late one night at a studio.
I noticed a microphone had not been stored away and had been left mounted in a suspension mount.
I decided to listen to this microphone in the control room and while listening I increased the gain on the mic pre and decided to stamp my feet in the control room. To my surprise I could hear this low rumble and could see the VU meter jump and return to its resting position with each stamp of my foot, I thought this microphone is in a suspension mount where’s the isolation.

So with all this in mind, I thought let’s see what happens if we go against the norm and clamp the microphone instead of suspending it, the idea being that the body of the microphone and capsule remain stationary and the only thing moving is the sound wave.

I myself was very sceptical about the influence a mount can have with regard to the sound of a microphone but when I had my first prototype made my scepticism diminished very quickly.

The overall primary objective with regard to the design of the M600 was to compare the reproduced sound quality when the microphone was held in a suspension mount and then in the M600.

Since designing and testing the M600 I have found that in each test conducted using the M600 surprising results have been achieved as against the known method of suspension mounting.

Another contributing factor which led to the design of the M600 was the various comments I read regarding the design of conventional suspension mounts, it seems that there is a general dissatisfaction with the build quality, and particularly the durability of the rubber bands used to suspend the microphone.

I myself do not describe the M600 as a “Shock mount”.

The M600 has been designed primarily as a universal microphone mount and with its unique method of minimum contact mounting, owners of the M600 have found that their microphones exhibit an audibly tighter and extended bass response, cleaner treble and improved detail when using the M600 and less of the previously mentioned attributes when used with a suspension “Shock mount” or clip mount.

Of course there are alternatives to the Enhanced Audio M600 and I am not suggesting that a microphone when used with these alternatives does not benefit in any way.
But I would suggest that if one is going to invest in a prized possession such as a valuable and expensive microphone and is questioning the durability of a supplied mount, then the benefits provided by the M600, such as increased security, stability and its unique audible benefits make it an obvious choice and a lasting one.

Best regards,

David Browne

EA M600 and Mojave MA200 as seen on the Mojave website www.mojaveaudio.com
Attached Thumbnails
shockmount alternative for Mojave MA200?-100_1878.jpg  
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

And here is one very satisfied M600 owner.
Old 25th December 2018
Forgive the zombie thread resurrection but is the shockmount that you mentioned the Samson SP01? I too am in need of a new shockmount for my MA200 since the thread for the mic stand has stripped.
Old 25th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBass View Post
Forgive the zombie thread resurrection but is the shockmount that you mentioned the Samson SP01? I too am in need of a new shockmount for my MA200 since the thread for the mic stand has stripped.
After googling the SP01 and based on the pictures, I‘d say it is the one.
However, in the meantime, I‘d go with a Rycote USM.
The rubbers on the Samson are too thin to have the Mojave set up anything but vertically.
So: Rycote USM or even USM-B, definitely not USM-L

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search