The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Flexible Metronome
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Flexible Metronome

I need to buy a metronome to record some pretty tricky-timed material.

I'd liked to find a metronome that has options, one in particular is that I'd like to get one that doesn't 'high beep' every four. Are there any that have a switch to turn something like that off?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

If you're recording digitally, you can put in your meter changes or cut-paste-repeat your click. If you really need to, record yourself counting the trickier odd-meter changes on separate track as a guide.

Does the Tama Rhythm Watch do the high-beep?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Guru

Pretty much any modern sequencer will do what you want and you can customize it to your liking. Digital Performer and Pro Tools come to mind.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Any decent DAW, like Cubase for example, has a tempo track where you can insert all the tempo and time signature changes - whether sudden or ramping - to your hearts content.

If you have some midi skills, you can build a click track with any sound you prefer. I don't like click/clack click tracks - I prefer to build a basic midi track with maybe electric piano, bass & drums. These can be thrown away in the mix - it just gives you the timing and tuning information you need to get started.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm recording to tape. I could record the software click to tape and then listen to it suppose.

Sounds like a soft-metronome is the way to go.

Too bad I only have Ableton. It doesn't look like Live has that feature.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd do a cut-paste-repeat with spoken meter cues (on complex changes) on an MBox or something and then track that onto the tape. Ten minutes customizing the click sounds, changes, etc. could be ten minutes well spent.

Are do doing any sync for later? If so, timing drift is an issue -- you may need to take this into consideration now -- laying down timecode & click together, for instance.

Of course, you could always build a tempo map to the click when you re-digitize (again, I don't know if this project is hitting digital or not -- I'm just bringing it up as a potential concern), but that's still gonna lack the precision of a full-on grid, esp. for "flying" parts and beat-detective or timing correction, or looping/adding and repeating drum loops, etc. Again, I don't know if any of these are concerns of yours, but sometimes, you know, they start out NOT being issues on projects which begin to change and evolve...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search