The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp to go with Gefell UMT70S......
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

Preamp to go with Gefell UMT70S......

Hi all,
To start off with, I'm a musician that does home recording, folk to rock (think Led Zep style to sum it up). A few years ago I bought a Gefell UMT70S as kind of a main mic...I thought I would try not to skimp on a microphone. Well, here's my delemma....
Gefell into Mackie 1402-VLZ into M-Audio Delta 44. So basically a decent mic into a cheapie preamp into cheapy a/d converters. Would it be worth it to get a $500 to $1200 single channel preamp only to go into the Delta 44? I know sound is a very subjective thing, but any experiences out there with Gefell or Gefell type mic (m7 type capsule) and a particular preamp ? I don't mind coloration or clean- just looking for a good main preamp ( for vox, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, some percussion) so I can forget about it and make some music!!
Here's what I've been looking at in no particular order:
1.Chandler Germanium
2. API Lunchbox with API 500 series or OSA module
3. FMR RNP
4. True Systems p-solo
5. Great River ME-1NV
6. GT the Brick
7. UA Solo 610/110
8. Summit Audio 2BA-221
9. Grace audio (the cheapest model... 101?)
10. Hamptone diy kit ....yikes!
11. JoeMeek 1Q
Any others?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytube View Post
Hi all,
To start off with, I'm a musician that does home recording, folk to rock (think Led Zep style to sum it up). A few years ago I bought a Gefell UMT70S as kind of a main mic...I thought I would try not to skimp on a microphone. Well, here's my delemma....
Gefell into Mackie 1402-VLZ into M-Audio Delta 44. So basically a decent mic into a cheapie preamp into cheapy a/d converters. Would it be worth it to get a $500 to $1200 single channel preamp only to go into the Delta 44? I know sound is a very subjective thing, but any experiences out there with Gefell or Gefell type mic (m7 type capsule) and a particular preamp ? I don't mind coloration or clean- just looking for a good main preamp ( for vox, electric and acoustic guitars, bass, some percussion) so I can forget about it and make some music!!
Here's what I've been looking at in no particular order:
1.Chandler Germanium
2. API Lunchbox with API 500 series or OSA module
3. FMR RNP
4. True Systems p-solo
5. Great River ME-1NV
6. GT the Brick
7. UA Solo 610/110
8. Summit Audio 2BA-221
9. Grace audio (the cheapest model... 101?)
10. Hamptone diy kit ....yikes!
11. JoeMeek 1Q
Any others?

Thanks for any advice!

I would'nt let you manage my annual budget

First get some decent AD/DA....and get an RNP or something !!
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

I would'nt let you manage my annual budget

First get some decent AD/DA....and get an RNP or something !!

Ha ha! Well, I wouldn't mind having all these baby's, but for now I can only settle for one!

I guess I'm just going to have to experiment like everybody else to find the right one! Hello Ebay!
Old 29th January 2007
leg
Here for the gear

We use the Gefell as our main vocal mic with API 512, Purple Audio Biz, Germanium, and it sounds great on all. I tend to favor the Biz for grittier rock vocals, it has that extra edge to it (well, the same can be said about the Germ).

best,

Luis Gonzalez
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

If you want some color but want to back it off as well , check out the sebatron vmp-2000e . It's a valve preamp that has some basic EQ . The pad switch changes the color of the tone . It's a flexible sound that works well on everything.
That should be within your budget.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I've used the UMT70s with both the Hamptone JFET (room mic for drums) and a Sebatron VMP (on vocals) - I slightly prefer it through the Hamptone (sounds amazing) but both were pretty sweet.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

UMT-70S into Great River ME-NV1 or API 512 (then into Purple MC77).
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
UMT-70S into Great River ME-NV1 or API 512 (then into Purple MC77).
sounds tasty to me
Old 31st January 2007
Here for the gear

I've used them with the UA-610, Grace 201 and my Shadow Hills GAMA 8. All three are great, but I'm partial the the GAMA and 610

Chris
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear
I use UM70s all OVER the place on almost everything, often.
AND I use them into whatever desk I'm recording EVERYTHING through.

mics don't determine preamps.

whatever preamp is good enough to use, that you like, is good on every mic you use and every instrument you record.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I own or regularly use: Manley Dual Mono, API 312 and 512s, 1272s, True, Racked Ward Becks, Studio Technonogies PreEminance, Old rebuilt altecs, Vintech 1073s, John Hardys and my favorite with all 4 of my UM70s has become the telefunken 672 or v72 (which although totally different topologies, sound rather similar to my ears). Many of the others sounded great, and may have worked to get the sound I wanted out of that particular instrument, but I rarely used my UM70s as a lead vocal until I put it with a telefunken (mine were built by tabfunkenwerk).

Im sure there are a million ways to skin this cat, this is just my experience.

Frost
Old 1st February 2007
Here for the gear

Wow.... thanks for all the replies. I'm starting to maybe lean towards the API 512
type, but the tube thing would be cool too. I do need a bigger budget!!!
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I prefer a tube unit when cutting vocals with a UMT70S. Mine can seem flat and hard with a SS unit, and certain tube units soften and 'euphonisize' in a positive way.

i like tube gear in the first place though.
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear
Like he said below. The mic you have will match well with any high quality pre. If you can get yourself a combo pre/eq even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
I use UM70s all OVER the place on almost everything, often.
AND I use them into whatever desk I'm recording EVERYTHING through.

mics don't determine preamps.

whatever preamp is good enough to use, that you like, is good on every mic you use and every instrument you record.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

i have an m71s that sounds great through my DAV pre's. so many flavors, just pick one that's good i guess. as many have stated, DAV is clean but euphonic. and for like $750 you get two channels. or for vocals, maybe something with pre and comp together is the way to go on a budget.... not sure cause i don't use comps for my music really.
Old 2nd February 2007
Here for the gear

Ok- now I'm rethinking my preamp thing. I think I'm starting to see the light with the DAV BG-1. I heard some of the samples and they were impressive, to my ears anyway. Me likey! Plus two channels, and less then my $1200 max preamp budget.....money left over to buy more gear !heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search