The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Speakers for Double Duty
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

Studio speakers: rehearse/roomverb

I'm looking for a pair of active speakers for my live room that i'll be using for re-amping/room reverbs and also for rehearsal for voice, keys, bass & guitar.....
Any suggestions?
These'll be wall-mounted....

Peace
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

If you want to reamp bass, how about a decent bass cab? Any reason you are going active, and any reason you are wall mounting?

I've just replaced my active monitors with passive, because I hated the acoustic transformer buzz being so close to the speakers. OK - so they were crappy Behringers, which had to go anyway. But many active speakers have hiss and hum issues. Let's face it - they are trying to squeeze a cheap amp into a speaker. This concept has compromise written all over it. If you look at the price of a decent amp, it's usually worth more than the whole active speaker - that should tell you something. (IMO, the benefits of bi-amping, short speaker cables and carefull matching & tuning all go out the window if the amp hisses and hums).

Most speakers sound best about 1/3 into the room. Wall mounted speakers is a special situation that could cost you a lot to do right.

If it's not for mixing, but purely for sound creation, you might consider buying an assorted bunch of instrument speaker drivers of all sizes, and building them into a plywood wall with a switching or patching arrangement so you can choose different speakers, or combinations. A single amp could drive them - just be careful about impedance and open circuit protection.
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

The speakers are for my live room not the control room. And I'm not going to be reamping the bass in them, but only micing them for 'artificial' room verb....

I would like to be able to use them as a small 'rehearsal' monitoring system as well....you know for working out parts and stuff.....that's what I meant by sending the bass and keys.....

I was thinking of putting JBL EONs, but just not sure how well they'll do for micing room reverb......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search