The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Positioning drums and other instruments in new room--help appreciated!
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Addict

Positioning drums and other instruments in new room--help appreciated!

Room is "new" to me. I'm working on a solo album and a friend's house is available in upstate NY--very quiet, nice room.

Main room (which will be used for tracking, mixing, and monitoring) is an A-frame chalet or barn type room: short walls are 8' high then begin 45 degree pitch to 16' peak. Long walls are (obviously) 16' high at their peak. One long wall is an exterior wall, mostly sheetrock with some brick (fireplace) and a slim (18") window. Other long wall opens into house and is 1/2 closed and 1/2 open: 2 doorways (w/o doors) and one staircase to the second floor which has a landing. Short walls are 1/2 sheetrock and 1/2 glass (sliding glass doors to the outside). Floor dimensions are about 21'X18' with the longer measure being from short wall to short wall. Carpeted throughout with medium pile carpet.

I think it's a pretty sweet room, but I'm really not sure how to position drums etc. I'll be recording a variety of styles (pop, jazz, alt-country, sparse acoustic guitar/voice) and will typically either be tracking alone or along with a drummer.

SO: how do you suggest I position the drums, guitar/voice, and guitar amps and bass amps?

All help is much appreciated. I think this room is "good" enough that it could yield good results for tracking and monitoring.

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Anybody?

Did I not describe this well? Is it hard to visaulize?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

GEt yourself a copy of "Mixing with your mind" by Mike Stavrou

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/index.htm

It is a fantastic book, and there is a great section on placing drums in a room. He suggests walking around with the floor tom, and hitting it in the room until you find the spot where it just sings. Then you buid up the kit around that.

Good luck
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for that.

Anybody have any suggestions in the meantime?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
Long walls are (obviously) 16' high at their peak ... how do you suggest I position the drums, guitar/voice, and guitar amps and bass amps?
For tracking, multiple walls and other nearby reflective surfaces are your enemy. So I'd stay away from corners unless you have absorption on at least one of those wall surfaces. And keep things miked with overheads like drums away from wherever the ceiling above is low. The main issue is you want to avoid comb filtering.

Also, a peaked ceiling is good because it avoids flutter echo between the floor and ceiling. However, the downside is that sound is focused under the peak. So you should consider absorption there as well. The photo below shows the 12 foot peaked ceiling in my home studio, and the traps I have directly under the peak.

--Ethan

Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks, Ethan. I can't really treat the walls here much--it's not my house.

In general though, could we say to put the drums in the middle of the room where the ceiling is the highest and they're the farthest away from the walls?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search