The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
YOUR TOP Hardware EQ For Mastering.. Lets hear it!
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

YOUR TOP Hardware EQ For Mastering.. Lets hear it!

I am looking to buy a high end EQ to be used to apply the final touches on a mix.

I like plugins, but want to get away from doing the final mastering inside the box..

I took the api 5500 for a testdrive a week ago and really liked it.. But I dont have a good overview of what is available and what is really good.

So lets hear it, what are your favourite EQ´s that you use in the final mix process?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.. :-)
Old 28th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by perx View Post
I am looking to buy a high end EQ to be used to apply the final touches on a mix.

I like plugins, but want to get away from doing the final mastering inside the box..

I took the api 5500 for a testdrive a week ago and really liked it.. But I dont have a good overview of what is available and what is really good.

So lets hear it, what are your favourite EQ´s that you use in the final mix process?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.. :-)
Millennia NSEQ-2. That is, until Fred Forssell finishes his mastering EQ... The NSEQ-2 is rather neutral which is usually a good thing in mastering. This is not to say it is overly clinical. It is indeed very musical; it simply does not impart an overt "one-size-fits-all" sonic stamp as some EQs do. I tend to like the EQ neutral and process colorful additions at the compressor when desired, even if I'm not doing much (or any) gain reduction. The tube side of the NSEQ-2 can get more colorful if you experiment with different tubes, but I usually stay in JFET mode.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome Perx! Well to tell you, this is a post that should be in the mastering section by the way, you'll get more answers in that area, just to let you know. Now, I'm no big shot mastering engineer but when i do, do some mastering its generally with the avalon 747. I think that eq is sweet and the unit itself has a great tone to it.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
Welcome Perx! Well to tell you, this is a post that should be in the mastering section by the way, you'll get more answers in that area, just to let you know. Now, I'm no big shot mastering engineer but when i do, do some mastering its generally with the avalon 747. I think that eq is sweet and the unit itself has a great tone to it.

Hi, thanks for the welcome and your suggestion.

I totally missed the mastering section.. Maybe a mod can move this thread over there.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! :-)
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

ONE of my fav's (not my only fav) is indeed, the API 5500... as it turns out.

The GML 8200 is great, the Inward Connections EQ is great, the Massive Passive is great.... all are different, all are great.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Addict

It would have to be either the IBIS or the GML 8200/9500. Both really don't have much of a sonic signature and can pass a very neutral signal.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

BUMP for the monday crowd!
Old 29th January 2007
Old 31st May 2007
Gear Head

Summit FeQ's

I realize that you guys may not consider this entry in the same league as the Massive Passive or the NSEQ or the GML..... But we are completely digging our pair of Summit FeQ-50's. They're warm and surgical and the Q of the filters is amazing. All inductor-based. Really nice. DW.
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

I was at lacquerchannel the other day with Phil Demetro and I was starring at his Sontec Eq...

He says, "Go ahead you can touch it"

So I cranked the damn knob and had a huge smile on my face!

Jason
Old 1st June 2007
Gear Addict

One thing you should take into consideration, if you want to apply EQ to your mix OTB, is that you should have very good AD/DA.
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Millennia NSEQ-2 mastering version, I love it. A close second would be the GML 8200 but I like the Millennia better because it's so musical and solid, it's really beautiful, I love itthumbsup
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

If you want CHARACTER

2 x K&H UE100

Old 1st June 2007
I use and original Millennia/Forsell NSEQ 1 and a CLM Expounder
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

not one vote for the api 5500??? hehe.

I have not bought a "mastering" EQ yet.. Still have my eyes fixed on the api.. The sound was so.. damn.. SWEET!! ;-)
Old 2nd June 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

I quite like the sound of the SPL PQ. Wicked cliché, I know, but it's very musical sounding.
Old 2nd June 2007
Sontec 432 and the Davelizer.
Old 2nd June 2007
Lives for gear

ITI 230 - until last week when the top end on one side went

it sounded sooo good...

I have the 5500 also - Great EQ !
Old 2nd June 2007
Millennia or Ibis (toss up) and Weiss
Old 3rd June 2007
Gear Addict

Millennia NSEQ2 here in tube mode, all Telefunken.
Old 3rd June 2007
That Avedis Audio EQ seems to getting a lot of attention as well.
Old 3rd June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perx View Post
not one vote for the api 5500??? hehe.

I have not bought a "mastering" EQ yet.. Still have my eyes fixed on the api.. The sound was so.. damn.. SWEET!! ;-)
I've had the API for a couple of months now. I love it so much on individual tracks, that I haven't gotten the chance to use it on a buss. I can't imagine you ever regreting the purchase (the price is very fair). However, it is night and day different when compared to most of the eq's that the guys are recomending. The API DEFINATELY has a sound.
Old 4th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin View Post
I was at lacquerchannel the other day with Phil Demetro and I was starring at his Sontec Eq...

He says, "Go ahead you can touch it"

So I cranked the damn knob and had a huge smile on my face!

yeah i was gonna ask if anyone still uses the sontecs.?

Jason

Old 4th June 2007
Gear Guru

Sintefex and Studer 089 EQ section when i desire it.
Old 4th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio View Post
Yep, over the years I've owned most eq's at one time or another. Recently got a Sontec 432c/9 -- best mastering eq ever IMHO.

Also, ITI eqs are similarly great sounding but few were built and their very rare.

Old 4th June 2007
My vote's with the Massive Passive, but that's probably 'cause it's what I have... hehe
Old 5th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
I've had the API for a couple of months now. I love it so much on individual tracks, that I haven't gotten the chance to use it on a buss. I can't imagine you ever regreting the purchase (the price is very fair). However, it is night and day different when compared to most of the eq's that the guys are recomending. The API DEFINATELY has a sound.
thing is.. I only buy from basically one pro audio shop.. And they dont have that much "high end" EQ´s.

When I checked out the 5500.. I just could not believe what I was hearing.. Was amazing.. But I have no clue on how the other brands sound and what the diffirences are when compared to the API..

Maybe I´ll buy online or something If I choose something else than the api.

good to hear you loved it! ;-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search