The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stereo buss and mixing 101
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

stereo buss and mixing 101

Is the stereo buss of a session basically the master fader?

Or is it literally bussing the ALL mono and stereo audio tracks outs to a stereo audio track (without a master fader)?
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

most of the time, when people are speaking of THE stereo buss:

Master Bus = 2 Bus = Stereo Bus
Old 27th January 2007
In short, yes.
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

is it necessary to pick the master fader? Couldn't I simply, create a stereo audio track with the input analog1-2 output (actually I don't know if I would set the output to analog 1-2 or 3-4) bypassing the need for the master fader?

I am just curious if that is possible so I am sure I understand the mystery of the master fader!
Old 19th February 2007
Gear Addict

the master fader is the last fader in the signal path that go's 2 you speakers.
Old 19th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
is it necessary to pick the master fader? Couldn't I simply, create a stereo audio track with the input analog1-2 output (actually I don't know if I would set the output to analog 1-2 or 3-4) bypassing the need for the master fader?

I am just curious if that is possible so I am sure I understand the mystery of the master fader!
Yes, you could do that.

Think of it this way - you've got a multi-track recording that you want to mix and put the mix on a CD. You can do all sounds to bus routings from a single buss, to a multiple buss mix, but in the end all the tracks eventually get blended together into a single stereo signal. That's "the stereo" buss. It usually happens at the master fader for lots of reasons, but if you had a reason not to, ou could use an alternate stereo buss.

I create multiple busses on my consol and send them to compressor subgroups. I never return them to my console. They get summed someplace else, by an alterante stereo buss and there's no master fader there.
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

I use a master fader (buss out) while mixing a session (in PT) to control gain levels while bouncing things around and another (analog out, set at 0 db) to check for nasty clipping.
I send everything to a stereo track when mixed and export that to a new session with all the other songs for (pseudo) mastering under the auspices of another master fader. The last thing I do is crank that master fader up until I get a little gentle clipping (+4 or so), insert L1 (1 db gain reduction) and bounce to disk.
Lots of master faders at work in that process.

See what happens when you work in a vaccuum?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search