The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me find a bottom snare mic.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

A Josephson e22s on the snare under was the answer to all of my prayers. I sleep better now.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

i had some very good results with a Neumann KMS105

otherwise 57 beta or 98 beta

grzt,
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
Hell, filtered white noise would work as well.
Actually, turning up the 'noise' slider on the Digidesign Lo-Fi plug-in works pretty good for sizzling up a snare track.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D Kelly View Post
beyer m201, hyper cardi dynamic.
can't go wrong.
tk
Would have been my choice also... it's also a great partner for SM57 when recording guitars.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D Kelly View Post
beyer m201, hyper cardi dynamic.
can't go wrong.
tk
i too love m201 on bottom. best so far in my opinion

m
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I have to agree with the person that posted the Senheiser 441,It's the only mic that makes me happy with snare bottom.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have been using a SDC on the bottom for a while now. Most of the time I barely pull it up in the mix. Sometimes I flip the polarity, sometimes not. If I told you what I was using I would probably get chased out of here. This isn't "High End" is it? heh
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you all for the replies. I think I'll try an m201 and 441, which I've wanted to get for a while anyway.

And to the person who suggested placing a plank below the snare to reflect the sound up; very interesting idea. I might give that a shot.

Ivan
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Actually, turning up the 'noise' slider on the Digidesign Lo-Fi plug-in works pretty good for sizzling up a snare track.
I'm also keen to apply distortion to the reverb send. Pretty cool with a predelay that equals a 16th note relative to the tempo.

Lofi is such a great plug in..
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

I still haven't decided on my own "go to" mic for snare bottom. On that particular mic, I rarely feel like I've got it exactly right. Sometimes I use a 414 EB, sometimes a Blue ball. I don't own one (yet) but a 441 sometimes fits the bill. This week I've been using a Beyer 160.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

KM84 w/-10 pad
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I love using an RE20 on snare- also 421 on the bottom.
You could try a Beyer M88 too.

Tried the shell?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Sennheiser 441. Always mic the bottom snare if you've got this mic and a great pre. Huge sound.
Another vote for the 441, that's what i use also, i've got one normal and a broken one (he's got less high) and use one of them on purpose.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

I've been having good luck with the C42 for a breathy hi fi sound.
Old 29th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRadio View Post
Try Hi-pass filtering the bottom mic, and also compressing it to give it some pop. Often times, the compression can really help it behave. Mix it as though it were a free-standing high shelf EQ. As for me, a 57 or an AKG414 seem to work wonderfully. Really, the compression will help...don't know why, but it does.
Especially if you're compressing the top mic. I've seen a couple of engineers compress only the top, so that the harder the drummer hits, the louder the bottom mic is relative to the top - oops!

I disagree about HPF the bottom unelss it's way low to remove a little of the kick. There's too much fatness that can be lost.

I've been going over the top with my bottom mics for a while and blasting in through the Culture Vulture. It's like radio static when I'm done with it.
Old 30th January 2007
Here for the gear

I've used a plank under the snare and a AKG 414, absolutely beautifull. And it did not sound good before I tried the plank.
I think I had the hipass on to avoid the kick bleeding.

I did not mic the top of the snare, this was just to good on it's own.

If the snare springs are going to be on for the whole track then it might be worth it to tape them to the underskin to loose the buzz, if that is a problem.
Just use some easily removable paper tape like painters use.

regards,
hejsan
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Sennheiser 441. Always mic the bottom snare if you've got this mic and a great pre. Huge sound.

+1

This is my secret weapon to a great snare sound!
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

IMHO the bottom snare mic sonds crappy when used in recording, i can live with it in live applications, but what i like to do is mic the shell instead of the bottom you getr more crack and a woodier sound out f it, also not all that hellish sond of the actual snares
unles youre doing a brushes recording and you wnt that
rawk!
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
spend the money on some high-end snare wires - really

put a small square board under the snare stand to reflect some of that snare sound back up.

I think part of the reason under mics sound bad is because the sound of the snares is supposed to be diffused. Not sharp and in focus.
Hey this sounds interesting!

Does anybody else do this?

I got to try this, I got this idea to place the snare mic so the it "sees" both upper snare head and the slab on the floor reflecting the bottom sounds.

-Tomi
Old 30th January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiaque View Post
try a beta 91. just put it on the floor under the snare.

maybe an unusual way to mic the bottom of a snare, but a very distinctive sound! i love it.
Interesting. I usually use the 91 inside the kick but I'll have to borrow a friend's and give your method a try. Thanks for the idea!

I usually do not mic underneath, but mic the snare shell instead. You still get some snare wire bleed and lots of shell resonance, but your idea sounds interesting.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Yes, I am the Grinch of the under snare mic.
"441's to the head" stiffled some poor little tyke...

From garage to bedroom to studio I struck.
Collected in bags, placed in the bed of my truck....

C-42's, 57's and Neumann watchamajiggers
"Fool's" I said; "They'll not make your snares bigger"....

I drove to my mountain, turned my pre up to ten
"I will not give them back ack ack..."

....until all of the boys and girls of Gearslutzville
swear to never use under the snare mics.... ever... Again

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Head

I like the BETA 57 on bottom. And don't forget to try flipping/reversing the phase on the bottom mic. In most cases that is the problem. Bart Rose

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search