The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
massey tape head /compressor/ EQ??
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
For over all use I think that the Massey C4 compressor plugin is quite possibly the best comp plugin ever..And I have pretty much all of them on my HD rig. It is that good. The price is the icing on the cake.

Amen brother. Using this plug for the first time was definately a "WOW!!!" moment. Absolutely phenominal on snare tracks. That's all the further I've gotten, I had to come on here and gush a little. Ok, back to work, time to see how many sources this thing kicks ass on. God Bless Massey.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut
the EQ sounds killing on electric guitars, great twang!
Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Tape Head for Synth tracks. I've been using it a lot to help small synths really cut through and sound fatter. Matter of fact some of my old small cheesy patches actually sound competitive now with an extreme setting on the Tape Head.

Also, another thumbs up for the 2007. I haven't even gotten 'round to using the compressor yet, but after reading this thread, I can't wait.
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

I like tape head on snare and synth tracks, too! I just bought most of the massey plugs -still sitting on the fence about the distortion plug, but I have the demo.

The compressor plug is nice! I use it on the channel strip and aux for parallel compression on kick,snare and cymbals. NICE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
I like tape head on snare and synth tracks, too! I just bought most of the massey plugs -still sitting on the fence about the distortion plug, but I have the demo.

The compressor plug is nice! I use it on the channel strip and aux for parallel compression on kick,snare and cymbals. NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, my drums never sounded as good as they do with the CT4, is it bad that I've been using it on everything? I never liked compression before.
Old 19th February 2007
Gear Addict

Tape head all over snares and Di'ed Synths for me.
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed, Tape Head sounds great on synths.

This is without doubt the most useful set of plugins I've ever bought. They go everywhere, to the point that I think there must be something wrong with me!
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

Help

I would love to try the plugs but i doubt they will ever come out in vst... :( are there any other alterntives for the mix buss for us vst users?

i was thinking of either mixing in logic or getting an mbox..just to use these plugs. any opinions?

Any help appreciated guys. Thanks.
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

Just had to give my praise for the CT4 comp. That thing kills on just about anything, and it pretty much saved a bass track the other day. I can't wait for that tape delay to be released.
Old 14th March 2007
Here for the gear

me too!

I am so on this bandwagon....downloaded the demos the other day and man am i happy! tapehead sounds great on drums, the ct4 is incredibly useful and has pretty much replaced the waves rcl as my 1st choice for plugin compression. the eq is musical, and among other things, works well on electric guitars. haven't used the limiter yet.

love THC, but does anyone else find it to be cpu-hungry? the other plugins in the family add 1ms of delay on my system, THC adds something like 65ms. If I'm already using just a handful of other plugins, I get that "too many plugins" error message. Used it on a vocal but had to bounce it to disk. I'm on PTLE, but still.
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakespeare65 View Post

love THC,eful and has pretty much replaced the waves rcl as my 1st choice for plugin compression. the eq is musical, and among other things, works well on electric guitars. haven't used the limiter but does anyone else find it to be cpu-hungry? the other plugins in the family add 1ms of delay on my system, THC adds something like 65ms. If I'm already using just a handful of other plugins, I get that "too many plugins" error message. Used it on a vocal but had to bounce it to disk. I'm on PTLE, but still.
I do remember Steve mentioning that it was CPU intensive....far more than his other plugs. I think he said it was to do with the modelling algorithm.
Old 15th March 2007
Tape Head is the ****. It sounds great on almost everything. Breathes life into things.

THC is unreal. It can completely transform a clean guitar.

And L2007 sounds better than an L2.

What more do you need? Massey's plugins rock. He's a freak!
Old 15th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post

What more do you need? Massey's plugins rock. He's a freak!
And will probably retire young and very comfortably the rate he's going.

Good for him I say.
Old 15th March 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
I do remember Steve mentioning that it was CPU intensive....far more than his other plugs. I think he said it was to do with the modelling algorithm.
well there you go....thanks.

it sounds amazing.
Old 15th March 2007

I almost always use TapeHead for drums (even OH's) and bass. Sometimes I use it on the Master buss but it depends on the song. Basically, on everything that needs punch (or "that sound"), great plug ins! Also, boosting high frequencies sounds less harsh with TapeHead inserted on that track. L2007 has been my "go to" limiter for mastering ITB.
Old 16th March 2007
Deleted 2ef94c5
I like them all, but the CT4 is truly special.

We've got 52 channels of high end outboard compressors that all show up discretely as i/o inserts in PT, and the only compressors plugins we still use are: Massey CT4 (by far the most used), Eventide Omnipressor (pretty fecking killer when it works), and Digi Smack (for the rare occasion when the CT4 controls are too limited and the instrument doesn't warrant outboard).

Runnerups are: RVox, Chandler TG plugin, and TL Aggro.
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

another vote for the CT4
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

All his plug-ins rock... But tape is the one I can't live without. I send all kinds of stuff through it, sometimes more than one time. Simply put, Masseys plug-ins have made my mixes sound much better than before.

Can't wait for the delay (no pun intended)
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Maniac

All of these plugs are wonderful. Can't wait for the delay
Old 20th December 2007
Gear Head

Can I ask, for those of you that have used the CT4 for parallel compression, what settings do you start with? In fact, what is the setting on the left side of the CT4 exactly...is it compression ratio or just gain reduction in db?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search