The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha HA8 (8 ch mic-pre) Any experiences?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yamaha HA8 (8 ch mic-pre) Any experiences?

Hey People,
Just wondering if anyone has any experiences of the Yamaha HA8 8 channel mic pre?
I've googled and searched but info is scarce.

Much appreciated y'all,

Dave.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

It's rubbish. Truly terrible.

I'm bidding on it btw ;-)
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hahaha! Nice one.

Seriously though, it seems it was good enough for Audio Ease to record their stock Altiverb impulses through, and they don't sound too shabby, so I'm thinking it's a winner...depending on price.

Any more info would be very much welcomed.

Cheers y'all,

Dave.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

****! You weren't kidding!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
It's rubbish. Truly terrible.

yo, no HA8'ers!!!
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

Is there any link / similarity between the HA8 and the older MLA7?

I have one of the latter and I have achieved reasonably good results on remotes with an ADAT, although I have been told it's not "all that great".

Bass players seem to like it a lot as well as Rap Hip Hop producers. It's quite a bit darker than a typical inexpensive pres which is why it sounds ok with the ADAT I suppose .... :roll:

Good luck with your endeavors,
Kurt

"We are all travelers in this world --
From the sweet grass to the packing house--
Birth till Death -- We travel between the eternity's --"

~ Alan Geoffrion ~

Buzz words and phrases that make me go, "Hmmmmm???";
"Pristine", "transparent", "warm" (and all variants), "virtually" and,
"performance approaching that of ..... (fill in the correct word)".
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Ooh, nice.

Well, I picked one up. Took it apart for a little look inside when I got it home, did a bit of cleaning and dusting. Looks to be the business for location recording, very well built and everything looks hunky-dory on the inside. It's reasonably heavy and quite a physically deep unit. It has a 9-pin dsub socket to remotely mute each channel and there's a pin wiring diagram for it in the manual too, so looks like I'm going to be making a remote for it. I'll let you know of my experiences when I get to use it on a real job.

Cheers y'all.

Last edited by lampmeister; 31st January 2007 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Shocking grammar and spelling!
Old 1st January 2008
Here for the gear

Ha 8

I own one -- I love it. Truly versatile-- studio is at my house though. Traveling with it is a [email protected]%$# !! It is extremely heavy -- quite sturdy. I have had no issues with it, and have had it now for about 2 years. It is always ready to go
Old 18th February 2008
Gear Nut

bumb

Any more experiences on this one???

I found one for sale, what you think it's worth???
Old 9th April 2008
Gear Nut

I found out that one studio I've been recording had one in their gearlist.
I called the studio owner and asked what he thinks. He adviced me to buy the unit for the price, 350€. They're still using it in one of their control rooms, and they have lots of nice pres to choose from...

So I bought the unit, and thought I give my opinion if somebody else is thinking of buying this peace of gear...

And my advice is: GO FOR IT!!! ;D
If I had payed double the price, I would still be glad I bought it!

If you get it for reasonable price and it's 100% working, I believe you won't regret if you buy it.
It has 8 channels! So you can calculate how much it makes per channel.

It works great with dynamics, condensers, and has enough clean gain for recording acoustic guitar with ribbon...
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

AD8HR

I use this one for live sound through DM1000...

It is great!

AD8HR | Interfaces | Products | Yamaha Pro Audio
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

I found one of these for 800$ CAD, I can lower the price probably.

I have no decent preamp right now, do you think that would be a good deal?
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Nobody knows if its an ok price?
Old 29th March 2009
I bought one for 275GPB including shipping about a month ago. Later I've seen one on the German ebay for around 300EUR. It's a pretty good clear preamp, with lots of gain.
Old 27th June 2009
Gear Head

Bought and tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiselab View Post
It's a pretty good clear preamp, with lots of gain.
+1

Found one (new in box) and I picked it up a couple of days ago, did a shootout on most of my mics on an HD28 acoustic guitar yesterday, found that a combination of Fishman pickup + Bruel & Kjaer 4011 + Bang Olufsen BM5 ribbon mic was nice on an acoustic guitar. Recorded an unplugged version of "Summertime Blues" just for fun.

It sure sounds different from anything else I have ever done.
(Got a Great River MP2NV, a Behringer T1953 (my first... outch... I sence the stigma), and some more, like Summit Audio, Prosonus, use a bit of old Tandberg recorders as well).

Surprisingly, for the first time ever I didn´t need any effects, eq or compression to get a good sound when I was mixing. Levels and panning and the whole spectra was there. Had a DI100 box to get bass throught the HA8 and also added some extra guitar with Fishman pickups through the DI (also through HA8) and SM58 for the vocals.
It does have a bit of a jazzy sound, which I both liked and didn´t like.
Didn´t like the Fishman pickups sound so much standalone (great & clear but jazzy), but it was better in the mix. In general, strumming chords was fine, but solo sounded jazzy (I don´t like "jazzy" sounds)

The guy who sold it has been working with pro symphonic works and location recording for a very long time. Seemed like a true pro.
He had 2 more of these HA8 and had been using them A LOT for some 10 years. We chatted for a while (after I bought it!) and he complemented the Yamaha unit for the build quality, he says they just don´t break down.

It seems great for acoustic stuff, it does sound high quality and I do can use some more channels.
I was impressed with the sound and the gain, but I guess I miss a bit of "bite". But you can still bring attitude into it, but it doesn´t add attitude on it´s own if you know what I mean.

Paid the same price for this (new in box) HA8 as I did for a one channel preowned Summit Audio tube 2BA-221 preamp some weeks ago which has yet been a bit of a disapointment (hum and noise).
I guess I got the HA8 at a good price... (3500SEK ~450-500USD)

Still probably the most bang for the buck for a preamp I have yet tested. Just add color somewhere else. :-)

Cheers
Mats
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Head

3 units of HA8 for sale

Hi!

I have 3 YAMAHA HA8 pre-amps for sale!
They are second-hand units but they are in perfect conditions!

480 Euros X unit - Or 1200 Euros for all 3

This is located in Spain but I can send it worldwide.

I'm selling also 2 units of YAMAHA MY16AT.
16 ch. ADAT cards for Yamaha consoles (dm1000, dm2000, 01, etc)

350 Euros x unit - or 600 for both.

Waiting for your news.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha HA8 (8 ch mic-pre) Any experiences?-ha8.jpg   Yamaha HA8 (8 ch mic-pre) Any experiences?-my16-0001.jpg  
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear
I recently bought one of these preamps. At the time of purchasing it I was quite concerned it may be terrible but I have to say it is an amazing preamp. So far I have only used it to record an entire drum kit for a track. The kit sounded fabulous unprocessed. As a clean preamp it is not inferior in any respect. It has a lot of gain, is very low noise, and records sources as they should sound. I have Manley, Buzz Audio, AMEK and DJR preamps in my collection and the HA8 is in my opinion superb. It is very easy to surgically dial in slight adjustments in gain compared to my other preamps. It is the best value for money that I have ever spent on recording gear. I highly recommend this preamp if you can find one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search