The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help a novice
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Please help a novice

I'm going to be working with a guy who has a lower end firewire interface that has these specs:

S/PDIF digital I/O (coaxial/optical) w/ 2-channel PCM

digital I/O supports surround-encoded AC-3 and DTS passthrough

I'm going to purchase a rosetta 200 and some decent pres. All I need to know is if external converters can be used to bypass the ones in this interface?

Sorry to ask such a basic question.

thanks!

JPM
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
I'm going to be working with a guy who has a lower end firewire interface that has these specs:

S/PDIF digital I/O (coaxial/optical) w/ 2-channel PCM

I'm going to purchase a rosetta 200 and some decent pres. All I need to know is if external converters can be used to bypass the ones in this interface?

yes, the Rosetta 200 can be used to bypass the converters in that FW interface via S/PDIF.

you will need a volume control (attenuator) for proper monitoring of the DAC however; a good inexpensive choice is the A Designs ATTY.

cheers.
~j.d.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks!

But I wouldn't have to use the rosetta's DA, correct? I could use the firewire's monitoring simultaneously with Rosestta's AD?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
Thanks!

But I wouldn't have to use the rosetta's DA, correct? I could use the firewire's monitoring simultaneously with Rosestta's AD?

that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

wow, that was fast. thanks again!
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Remember that the DA its of the same importance as the AD,

you say that the firewire interface isnt very good so if you use tha DA from the interface you are not going to hear a lot of detail of what you are recording or mixing, and you will be waisting an excellent piece of gear, I mean for just a hundred dollars more you could use a pro interface to do the monitoring.

if you still only want to use the AD and not the DA, buy the Mytek AD 96 for about half of the cost of the rossetta 200, ,mytek converters if you havent hear about them are of the same quallity as the Apogees if not better.

www.mytekdigital.com

heres a couple of dealers

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/mytek.html

http://ralaudio.com/mytek-stereo96-s...-adc-p-46.html

hope this helps!
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the help. I actually went with an API A2D. I needed pres as well and this unit seemed to give me the most real estate for the money.

We've been unsuccessful in getting a signal in Logic Pro 7 going through my friend's interface (maudio1814http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...1814-main.html) connecting via spdif.

I'm a PT user so know nothing about Logic. He uses the stock pres and converters of the maudio so little experience configuring other outboard stuff.

Obvisouly I'd like to use the pres and converters of the API. Any Logic users here willing to give a step by step on how to configure things in Logic? What kind of settings to look for with the maudio software?

I've had no luck so far at the logic forum.

Much thanks ~

JPM
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Anyone? I'm feeling a little desperate here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search