The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie 824s - Horizontal vs. Vertical
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Mackie 824s - Horizontal vs. Vertical

My Mackie 824s are presently in a horizontal position with tweeters facing out due to the height of my racks. Is this ok, or is there an advantage to positioning them verically. I believer they were designed with this in mind.

Thanks.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Yes, I've been contemplating the same thing as they stand rather high above my optimal listening position but have heard there are some issues with placing any monitors horizontally. Is this true? I know most people who use NS10s have them horizontal, however!
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

i don't think you should have a problem having them horizontal as long as you put the tweeter on the inside, closer to you.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

it usually depends on the speaker itself. the ns-10's are designed to be horozontal, the mackies are designed to stand upright.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Could you elaborate?
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I think they sound best when turned away from the listener, in a different room, with the door closed.

They sound even better when turned off.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goodman View Post
I think they sound best when turned away from the listener, in a different room, with the door closed.

Anyone else read the title of this thread and see that response coming??
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
it usually depends on the speaker itself. the ns-10's are designed to be horozontal,
LavLab, can you confirm your statement?

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal Sijen View Post
Thanks for that link. Looks like it's all covered there.
Old 26th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delyrio View Post
i don't think you should have a problem having them horizontal as long as you put the tweeter on the inside, closer to you.
Incorrect. In the HR824 Manual it states that the Woofers should be on the inside, with the tweeters to the outside.

I ran my HR824's primarily in the horizontal position and preferred the imaging in the horizontal positioning to the vertical positioning.
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

thank you for informing me on that tidbit of info (seriously, no sarcasm there), btw like the footer text
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Incorrect. In the HR824 Manual it states that the Woofers should be on the inside, with the tweeters to the outside.
Yup. Never placed them this way, but that's waht she says..

www.mackie.com/pdf/hr824_om.pdf
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

hmm..I've been in a lot of studios and worked with Grammy winning and nominated producers and engineers and I've never once seen anyone set up monitors with the tweeters on the inside. I can tell you this though, in my home studio I have NS-10s and 824s, and I was recently forced (due to space) to set up the 824s vertically. I feel like I can tell a MAJOR difference in my (and others) mixes in the vertical position (though I have yet to A/B these set ups). I know the manual recommends vertical placement and most people I see place them vertically. As I said, I have yet to A/B them, but I have learned to like them in the vertical position, though I still think they look dumb in that position. This is probably (like everything else) just a personal preference. I recommend trying both ways and seeing which you like best.

gym*
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula328 View Post
I can tell you this though, in my home studio I have NS-10s and 824s, and I was recently forced (due to space) to set up the 824s vertically. I feel like I can tell a MAJOR difference in my (and others) mixes in the vertical position

gym*
Do you mean better?

Also.......

I wonder what you guys think about using something like the mopads to angle the speakers downward when the tweater is a little too high in the vertical position? I've seen this done before, but didn't know how it might affect the sound.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzie View Post
LavLab, can you confirm your statement?

Ron Allaire, Skyline
i read an article once ( iforget where, sorry) that stated that when monitors are placed horozotally, sounds from the tweeter and woofers will reach your ears at different times, producing an inaccurate representation. i suppose this could also be true of a less than ideal vertical set up too. personally i stick with the manufacturers recomendation.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I owned 824s for years. For a while I did have them on thier sides (tweeters out as in the manual). It was easier to EQ, but the imaging was horrible.
My solution? Dynaudios!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I used all of my nearfileds for years laying on their sides, due to site lines into the cutting room. It eventually became a mental comfort thing for me and I would flip monitors over no matter where I went, even if they didn't need to be for site lines. The one monitor that broke me of that was the HR824. I tried to force the issue with these but no matter how "comfy" I felt mentally, they sounded better in the vertical position. I can't remember the last time I flipped a monitor on it's side now.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

imo mackies translate better when vertical.
if horizontal you really have to get use to them. also comes down to your room and room acoustics...
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

In the vertical position, the 824 tweeters are only a few inches too high. Would I be ok to angle them down by elevating the backs using the auralex monitor pads?
They allow different angel adjustments.

Thanks
Old 26th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
In the vertical position, the 824 tweeters are only a few inches too high. Would I be ok to angle them down by elevating the backs using the auralex monitor pads?
They allow different angel adjustments.

Thanks
Yes you would. I also used mine that way when in the vertical position. Be aware, though, that you are introducing a potential for more reflections.

When I first put my Mackies horizontally, I put them tweeters in (as has been the norm for years to help with time alignment), I wasn't completely pleased with them that way. I looked in the manual and noticed their recommendation and flipped them. Made a difference. I had my Mackies for a while and also tried them in vertical config, as mentioned above, but found a preference for horizontal with the tweeters out. When I got my Dynaudios I used them in a horizontal config as well, by default. When M-Audio sent me some EX66's to try, I flipped my Dynaudios vertically to make space and noticed a remarkably different sound. My Dynaudios have stayed vertically ever since.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Be aware, though, that you are introducing a potential for more reflections.
Do you mean reflections off of the desk or console since they are aimed down somewhat? If not, what reflections are you reffering to.

Thanks.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

My speaker stands are a little taller than I'd like, so I have my 1031s vertical, but upside down... with the tweeter on the bottom. That puts the tweeters in the right spot for my ears. I've got 'em on MoPads too. Works pretty well, though I'd like some cooler stands at some point.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goodman View Post

Oh yea Jeff Goodman,

I almost forgot about you.

Yo Momma!fuuck
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear
Vertical alignment of the drivers in the speaker should give you the best possible stereo imaging. Horizontal would smear it, especially sources that have frequencies both above and below the crossover point.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Just as you spend alot of time to position a mic in the right place for getting the best sound you should spend some time moving your moniters around to find their best positions in your room. This means horizontal/vertical, tweeters on inside/outside/top/bottom, closer to corner, closer to wall, change angle to your ears ... etc. There are no hard fast rules other than trying to keep things symetrical, what you do to the left moniter, do the same to the right. Hopefully you will have spent time acoutically treating your space before messing with the speakers.

It's amazing with a few hours of testing (having a friend move and measure to keep things symetrical helps while you listen to the same reference track(s) over and over) how much better things will sound. Its hard to see pictures of setups where the moniters are just put anywhere often with a video moniter blocking the direct sound from a speaker and have that guy posting looking for a new set of moniters LOL. Treat your space, spend half a day moving the speakers around and report back if things improved. In my room my JBL LSR32's are horizontal with the tweeters on the outside and my Sony's are right above them vertical with the tweeters at the bottom, thats just what sounds best for that room with those speakers.
Old 30th January 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delyrio View Post
I was dealing with the some problem...I was reading on other forum that if you placed them horizontally you should have the tweeters on the "outside" to create a wider stereo image because of the "directional" characteristic that the Hf driver (tweeter) has against the woofer
Old 30th January 2008
Gear Addict

Face Down...prob. would translate better?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search