The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rhodes Value?
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Rhodes Value?

I am looking at purchasing an 88-key Mark I Rhodes. It's in great condition and all the keys and electronics work fine. It has the legs and sustain pedal. What would be a reasonable price for one?

Also, as far as original Rhodes prices go ... with the release of the new Rhodes, do you think the original Rhodes will go up in price (larger supply of Rhodes, which would up the price of vintage ones)? Or down (larger supply of Rhodes, no need to have an old clunker).
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I recently picked up a 1974 Fender Rhodes 88. It was $900, but it's an amazing instrument. I think the prices will escalate further; they sure do not make them like they used to.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

We just got a mint rhodes 73 mark 1 (1975) for £700... here in rip off UK...It's a good price!
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Head

I got my Seventy-Three Mark I (with legs and sustain pedal) for $200 back when nobody wanted them anymore! heh too bad I didn't do the same with a wurlie piano. :( honestly though, I have no idea what the 88 would be worth today. if you can get a 73 for less, I wouldn't spend the extra for the 88 though cuz I don't miss the extra notes at all. don't know if I would ever use them. on the other hand, if the instrument is in great playing shape and you can afford it... might be a good thing. as good as some of the soft synth recreations are, there's still a certain funky individualness that the real thing posesses that the virtuals can't touch.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I got an 88 suitcase with speaker all working with 1 missing tine for 800AUS.
looking back I realise it was a great price, I wont tell you what I paid for my Wurlitzer 200a last year..........it wasnt cheap...so i guess it all evens out in the end:-)
chymer
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Grabe View Post
I am looking at purchasing an 88-key Mark I Rhodes. It's in great condition and all the keys and electronics work fine. It has the legs and sustain pedal. What would be a reasonable price for one?
I'm not 100% sure about reasonable prices for Rhodes these days, particularly as I'm based in th UK where, like baikonour says, the prices are exorbitantly high. However, I do know that it depends on whether it's a late Mark I or not, as they the are same as the Mark II's internally. A late Mark I would normally fetch less than an earlier one. Plus, you don't state whether it's a Stage or a Suitcase, but I'm assuming it's Stage because you mention the legs in your description.
Old 26th January 2007
i got my 88-key Rhodes in surprisingly clean like new condition $400
no stand, speaker or pedal.

Last edited by Stevil; 26th January 2007 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: afterthot
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
i got my 88-key Rhodes in surprisingly clean like new condition $400 no stand, speaker or pedal.
Man, 20 years ago, when digital electrics were just coming out, I bought a Rhodes in perfect condition for $200 from a guy who was sick of lugging it to gigs. A few years later I gave it to a friend. Now look what it's worth! Why does this always happen to me?! heh

I do have a pair of mint condition original NS10s from the late 1970s. The first person to pony up $4,000 gets them.

--Ethan
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I ended up finding another one (the one I was looking at sold before I could get to it). It's a 1973 88-Key Mark I Suitcase. The amp and both speakers work great. I haven't checked out the preamp yet since I have to buy/make the cable for it. I'm not too worried about it, nothing looks beyond a quick repair.

All the tines are there, all the pickups work (I have to rewire the last octave though) and I've spent the last two days taking it apart, cleaning it, making adjustments (escapement, pickup volume, and tine height), putting silicon spray on the key felts and guide pins, all that good stuff. I'm about half way done but it's already playing and sounding great!

By the way, I got it all for $1,000 US. I'm pretty excited.
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

In the 1980's, I lost count of how many Rhodes were offered to me for free, sitting in the corners of studios gathering dust.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

I think that's roughly what they go for, some people mentioned nowadays they can go for around $500 but I don't find that true in LA. On eBay or Craigslist you're looking at least $650 and up for just a 73, it's nuts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search