The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Onyx pre vs Great River etc.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head
Onyx pre vs Great River etc.

I've been using an Onyx preamp for all of my recording and it does a fine job. I'm thinking about a higher end preamp such as a Great River or someting similar for primarily vocals.

I'm singing through either a SM7 or a C-1.

Is the high end pre going to make that much difference? I'm not unhappy with vocals now but wondering whether the improvement I may or may not get is worth the diff in dollars.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have an Onyx and a variety of hi-end pres. The Onyx ones are fine...

Until you line them up side by side with the hi-end ones.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Onyx are damn good utility pre, we just added an 800R to get some extra channels alongside all our high end stuff.

It's not the kind of thing that would be your first goto for a lead vocal, but if you need extra inputs on toms or whatever they sound rockin, and if you can't afford any of the higher end stuff, the Onyx are an awesome choice in the next tier down from the high end stuff and yeah you could probably track a whole record with em if you had to.

Put it this way, it doesn't sound like ass like channels in a Presonus box or something, but it doesn't blow you away like a Chandler would. However if you need a lot of decent channels fast on a budget, Onyx will get you there alot more cost effectively.

If you were to make a step up, especially for vocals, I would recommend the Pacifica or the Chandler LTD-1 over the Great River.
Old 8th March 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvstrats View Post
I've been using an Onyx preamp for all of my recording and it does a fine job. I'm thinking about a higher end preamp such as a Great River or someting similar for primarily vocals.

I'm singing through either a SM7 or a C-1.

Is the high end pre going to make that much difference? I'm not unhappy with vocals now but wondering whether the improvement I may or may not get is worth the diff in dollars.

i've been using a 400f for a few months now and just got an me-1nv. i've demo'd my singer on some new tracks using an nt-1000 (which i've always battled with, but with lots of eq and comp gets the job done(ish)). so far, the great river has blown my tits off. my singer is female that most of the time sounds like mike patton (ie: excessively dynamic). the great river catches the breath, the nuance, all of it.

also, just plugging the pods right into it have expanded my mixes (just demos) beyond anything that my mackie alone could do.

i would say that you drop the coin. it really does make a difference. you won't know the meaning of "big iron" until you actually start building the tracks with a high-end pre.

good luck.

ps: i'm going to be getting an sm7 for my singer.

pps: try the wavearts plugs. they've done wonders for me also.
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

I have used the 400F on my home set up as my I/O and I think that the Onyx are probably the best mic pre's out there in there class until you break the $1k barrier into single channel pres.

Paul
Old 8th March 2007
Jai guru deva om

I track drums with an Onyx 1640 mixer quite often.

I use a Safe Sound Audio P1 for all vocal work.

The Safe Sound has a more robust sound, and the dynamics section is dyno-mite.

War
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Addict

Onyx pres are great, but they are a $100 per channel mic pre. When you start talking about Great River, A Designs, etc., you are around $1000 per channel. Suffice it to say that you are most definitely getting something for the 10x extra cost.

If you are recording drums or a large band and need to use lots of mic pres at the same time and are on a tight budget, Onyx are a great way to get there.

OTOH, if you are doing only a couple of instruments at a time, or doing lots of vox, you owe it to yourself to get at least one high end pre. I think you'll be very surprised at the difference.

I'm not saying you can't get good results with an Onyx, but you'll get better results much faster and much easier with a better pre.

I'll put it this way, you would probably never mic a vocal with an SM57 - and with an Onyx mic pre, you might be crazy to do so (unless you were going for a specific kind of mid-to-lo-fi sound). But I hooked an SM57 through my A Designs P1 mostly for giggles, and I was amazed at how good it made that mic sound. It was beyond a usable sound - I really think I could record a vocal through the 57 into the P1 and most people would probably extremely surprised that it wasn't a much better mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search