The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boston-area slutz--where do you go for mastering?
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Boston-area slutz--where do you go for mastering?

I have a client whose project is almost done, and he didn't like the mastering of his last project, so he's looking for other options. Any suggestions for good mastering houses in the greater Boston area? I know of a few places, but I'm sure there must be some good ones I don't know about. Thanks....
Old 25th January 2007
Mastering Moderator

My humble suggestion is you talk to Jay thumbsup

http://www.promastering.com/
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

havent sent anything to Jay yet, (any GS discount )
Maybe I'll try to push him next.

Jeff and Jessica @ Peerless Mastering thumbsup

M-Works is fine as well

doing jazz, classical, or acoustic type 'ish?, check Sound Mirror, my .02$
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

If you're in Boston, then I'd say either use Jay, or take a drive up to Gateway Mastering. Can't really go wrong either way. Gateway's probably mastered more albums on your shelf than anywhere else.
Old 25th January 2007

Jay, Gateway Mastering, or any of the various guys in New York which is relatively close.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

i've used M works, they're good
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

The guys at Studio Metronome in NH have an amazing facility.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower View Post

+1 on SoundMirror. I've worked with them on a couple of projects and they're PRO.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

+1 for jay frigoletto. the best mastering i've ever had as an artist! a very musical approach, and a nice feller.

cheers,
jon nolan
Old 26th January 2007
Quote:
havent sent anything to Jay yet, (any GS discount )
Maybe I'll try to push him next.
Thanks guys. I've only been back east for a couple years, the new room isn't much more than a year old, and I haven't really spread the word much locally. I do need to get around to that one of these days... And sure, what the hell, I'll do a little introductory GS deal if you want to come up for a session. It's always fun to have visitors.

Heck, even if you don't have a session at the moment, come by for a visit. It's a beatiful location, and there's a great Italian place down the hill for lunch. You're all invited! I've been thinking of having a Boston area GS party anyway. I have a couple ideas that would be fun and include lots of gear, but that's a subject for another thread...
Old 26th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Nolan View Post
+1 for jay frigoletto. the best mastering i've ever had as an artist! a very musical approach, and a nice feller.

cheers,
jon nolan
Hi Jon!

I added a couple of your tracks to the iPod. I really like the one about Hope AK. I have to come out to the seacoast and visit all my friends out that way! We should all go for BBQ at the place in Portsmouth or something.
Old 12th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by (DC) View Post
The guys at Studio Metronome in NH have an amazing facility.

last i heard, Petey Boards was over there on the ssl g+....
Old 12th February 2008
First off, what kind of music is it?

This town's definitely got some really solid MEs, but each guy's strengths are best lent to specific genres.

That said, my usual go-to guys are Nick Z at New Alliance East for heavier rock stuff. He's got a really aggressive, crunchy approach that works well for metal and aggressive rock. He's also the nicest guy in the world. Jeff Lipton at Peerless is good for stuff you want left a bit more "untouched", if that makes any sense. He's really good at taking tracks that sound great and putting a pleasant, pro sheen on them. I've also had good luck with hip hop stuff sent to Sound/Mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyboard View Post
i know the owner / mastering engineer at waltz audio, right on boylston.
In the interest of complete disclosure: I used to work there as head engineer, and my parting was less than...amicable, so I'm not too keen on the place in general. However, from a completely objective standpoint, in the past year I've had three records ruined by that place (one of them somehow ended up in mono!!), so I'd hafta strongly object.

Quote:
Jeff and Jessica @ Peerless Mastering thumbsup

+1thumbsup
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyboard View Post
i know the owner / mastering engineer at waltz audio, right on boylston.

if youre interested, PM me, i could give you a tour.
Pretty sure Waltz doesn't really have a mastering room, or dedicated mastering engineer. I could be wrong, but I've never thought of them as equipped for mastering like Gateway is.
Old 12th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Pretty sure Waltz doesn't really have a mastering room, or dedicated mastering engineer. I could be wrong, but I've never thought of them as equipped for mastering like Gateway is.
They actually do have a dedicated mastering room; it was built about two and half years ago. The owner (Tom) of the studio designed and built it himself into one third of what was the B Studio's live room. It's basically a big wooden cube with home-made bass traps in the corners and a bit of home-made diffusion on the walls. You can check out the gear list on their website; they've got some cool stuff, but much of the mastering is still done in-the-box (at least it was when I was last there).

As far as the engineering goes, Tom does it all himself.

Like I said, I'd have a hard time referring anyone there, but the facility does exist in earnest, albeit in a sort of home-made capacity.

BTW - Gateway is great, but it ain't cheap, the waiting list is looong, and you sure as hell ain't gonna get Bob himself to do your record. If you're looking to spend big time dough on a big time mastering joint (which I'll bet you're not, as you're searching locally), check out Sterling in NYC. They've got a reduced rate for off-hours sessions, and you can hook up with some really talented MEs that way.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Jay Frig....

That sounds like a great idea..
How about a GS party..?
Get a chance to meet some local guys.

I promise, I'm potty trained and wont **** on your carpet..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search