The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
C.D Distributer or not ?
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

C.D Distributer or not ?

This thread is not about gear but I did not know where to post it, so if it needs to be moved...
I was wondering if having a distrubutor is still necessary or not.
This is an essential question for me for a specific project that I have but I think this is also essential to every one here if we don't want to become recording week-end hobbiest.
I heard the other day that people will soon be able to buy songs on my space and that it would become the biggest "record shop" in the world.
I also read everywhere that the end of c.d is near.
Is it still worth even making a c.d ?
In this context what could a distributor bring ?
Now, not everyone has internet (11 million in France) and maybe some people still want to have the c.d with the booklet and all ( I know I like too at least), but do people still buy enough c.ds in shops, maybe just selling the c.d through the internet site could sell as much ?
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I still make more money with physical CD sales, but the download figures are coming up fast. I doubt the future of music sales is MySpace, though if they make a few policy changes they may do okay. At the moment I believe that iTunes is by far the biggest retailer of music downloads.

For distribution, in my experience you can't go wrong with CD Baby. They keep $4 for each CD sold and (I think) 9% of download sales, but when you figure that they do everything but write the songs for you it's a pretty good deal. Much better cut than being signed to a label, at any rate...
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

For right now, there are still alot of CD players in the world, and alot of people still like having an official looking product, instead of a burned CD with sloppy sharpie words on it. So many have the big wallet-folders and never use the sleeve-cases they came in at all.

Also, many people that have a ton of music downloaded legally on their pc, cant or dont know how to encode or decode to burn to disc, if they wanted it on CD. (They know how to iPod transfer though!!)

Its not much different than the cassette fading out, just happening faster because of mass storage players and computers.

If you do a run of CD's, go the cheap on the packaging....maybe real replication with thermal printing, and a sleeve with minimal printed info.
Old 25th January 2007
times are a changing. Here is the ultimate digital disributor. http://www.tunecore.com
Uploading my album soon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search