500 Series Racks - API vs OSA vs BAE?
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

500 Series Racks - API vs OSA vs BAE?

I recall
any more.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

You can buy the OSA rack if you get one pre with it, and everybody needs an OSA L3. The api rack that was underpowered was the 6 slot, but they are supposedly shipping it with a bigger power supply these days. If I was going to start over, I'd get the 11 slot, because 6 just ain't enough.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have had an 11 space Brent Averill rack for about 10 years or so. I had a 2nd one for a while but sold it 6 or 7 years back. Built like a tank, totally reliable. One advantage for them is "it goes to eleven", API's is only a ten spacer. The other great plus about BAE is that their oversized power supply is external, away from the modules. Plus it is big enough to power 2 of their 11 space racks. It's just like everything they do. The build quilty is top notch.
Never had contact with an OSA rack.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
I have had an 11 space Brent Averill rack for about 10 years or so. I had a 2nd one for a while but sold it 6 or 7 years back. Built like a tank, totally reliable. One advantage for them is "it goes to eleven", API's is only a ten spacer. The other great plus about BAE is that their oversized power supply is external, away from the modules. Plus it is big enough to power 2 of their 11 space racks. It's just like everything they do. The build quilty is top notch.
Never had contact with an OSA rack.
this sounds like the exact description of my OSA rack. cant really go wrong here with these two racks.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've got the new API 500 VPR (the ten-space rack and L200 power supply). I don't have it filled (yet...), but if you look on any of the VPR member sites, you'll note that the power-supply problem was with older-model racks. The new one is fine. Also, the power supply has long-enough cabling to sit far away from the modules if desired.

The OSA and BAE are a bit cheaper, I think, than the API. I'm not sure there's much difference in the quality or specs.

There's a lot of demand for 500 racks these days, so definately call around to various shops to see who's got one in stock.

Best of luck.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I have the 8 space OSA one, had it for about 3 years now, works great!
Old 26th January 2007

There was a thread with nearly this exact title about 6 months ago... Maybe do a search as there were quite a number of opinions.

10 space API seems like the obvious choice since the price reduction.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

i have the OSA 8 space track pack. and if i were to do it again, i'd probably go with the BAE 11 space rack. i can totally see myself getting more than 8.

i've had a few problems with my OSA rack. one of the slots is completely dead and i had a few ground issues with a pair of Eisen modules. it sucks because i haven't had any down time to be able to send it back. fortunately, i don't have a full rack yet so i don't need that slot. i've talked to dale about getting a replacement, but it's been almost 2 months.

Last edited by bobx; 26th January 2007 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhopefield View Post
i've had a few problems with my OSA rack. one of the slots is completely dead and i had a few ground issues with a pair of Eisen modules.
Eisen Audio 500 modules follow proper grounding procedures, utilizing the pin 1 CHASSIS GROUND where appropriate. Unfortunately, it has been shown that many (all?) OSA racks have no connection to this pin, and so I had to modify (read: compromise) the gronding scheme of bobxhopefield's modules to make the noise go away.
Old 27th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EisenAudio View Post
Eisen Audio 500 modules follow proper grounding procedures, utilizing the pin 1 CHASSIS GROUND where appropriate. Unfortunately, it has been shown that many (all?) OSA racks have no connection to this pin, and so I had to modify (read: compromise) the gronding scheme of bobxhopefield's modules to make the noise go away.
Combine this with the BS that I have to buy a Preamp to purchase the rack and I say fuuck OSA.

Sorry but I am really ticked that I can't get the rack by it's self anymore. I don't want a preamp, I want a 500 series rack for EQ.
Old 27th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
There was a thread with nearly this exact title about 6 months ago... Maybe do a search as there were quite a number of opinions.

10 space API seems like the obvious choice since the price reduction.
Really? I guess I will look into build quality a little more but to me, now that the OSA "bundle" cap is going on the best deal looks like the Brent Averill... less money and one more space to boot.
Old 27th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Really? I guess I will look into build quality a little more but to me, now that the OSA "bundle" cap is going on the best deal looks like the Brent Averill... less money and one more space to boot.
Oopppps.... I might stand corrected there. Looks like the 10 space API is $800 ish street? If that is the case then it is a little less than the Brent rack but it also has one less slot.

Anyone know if the API 500VPR does 48v phantom? I think the new runs all come with phantom but wanted to check.
Old 28th January 2007

Quote:
Anyone know if the API 500VPR does 48v phantom?
Yes, phantom is standard with the API L200 power supply. You can get the BAE supply with or without phantom.
Old 28th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
Yes, phantom is standard with the API L200 power supply. You can get the BAE supply with or without phantom.
Thanks Tim

The old API racks were with and without right?
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
nathan or anyone from osa care to comment about this. i'd really like to get me an osa track pack 8 slot rack cos i want something handy 'n portable without rack ears and api luchbox is a little bit too small with only room for 6 modules (or less if i buy a buzz comp)... and i also thought about adding some eisen pres potentially...

istvan
Old 28th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by futur2 View Post
nathan or anyone from osa care to comment about this. i'd really like to get me an osa track pack 8 slot rack cos i want something handy 'n portable without rack ears and api luchbox is a little bit too small with only room for 6 modules (or less if i buy a buzz comp)... and i also thought about adding some eisen pres potentially...

istvan
I'm not part of OSA, but I am aware of the issue. It's not generally a problem, and it can be easily rectified by adding a 10 ohm resistor between the PIN 1 and PIN 5 of module edge connector. In most cases, this will sort out any noise issues.

Tim.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by futur2 View Post

istvan

I'm posting a response from Dale Epperson of OSA, and simultaneously replying to istvan.

"On OSA Power Racks and Track Packs Pin 1 is Chassis ground, Pin 5 is Shield ground, and Pin 13 is Power Supply ground. The connections between these varies from module to module, but on most modules all three are connected together within the module. This is the way OSA does it, and I referenced many pieces of API gear to determine how to do it.
If you were to permanently connect chassis ground pin 1 (in the rack) and then the module, such as the 550A EQ also connects this pin to ground within the module, you would have a classic ground loop, with two different ground points. It is not incumbent upon OSA to make sure that other modules work in their racks - we sell systems, and our systems work.

- Dale"
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
I'm not part of OSA, but I am aware of the issue. It's not generally a problem, and it can be easily rectified by adding a 10 ohm resistor between the PIN 1 and PIN 5 of module edge connector. In most cases, this will sort out any noise issues.

Tim.
Tim's modification works well to eliminate grounding issues (read Dale's comments above, this is the same thing), and is very easy to do. I've even done a few myself.
Old 28th January 2007

Quote:
Quote:
Oopppps.... I might stand corrected there. Looks like the 10 space API is $800 ish street? If that is the case then it is a little less than the Brent rack but it also has one less slot.

Anyone know if the API 500VPR does 48v phantom? I think the new runs all come with phantom but wanted to check.
Both the API and BAE are quite capable racks... The API is a 10 space and is around $800.. the Brent Averill is $899, but has an additional available slot.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Maniac

At this point I would not recommend OSA. I sent a module to Dale 2 months ago and still have not received it back ... if you ever need something fixed you want to be able to rely on some prompt service no?

Didn't respond to my email .. left voicemail today ... no response yet.

I also have something wrong with the first slot of my 11 space OSA rack ... but I don't have 11 modules so I am not concerned as of yet. Something to keep in mind ...
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Gutz View Post
At this point I would not recommend OSA. I sent a module to Dale 2 months ago and still have not received it back ... if you ever need something fixed you want to be able to rely on some prompt service no?

I also have something wrong with the first slot of my 11 space OSA rack ... but I don't have 11 modules so I am not concerned as of yet. Something to keep in mind ...
Please contact Atlas Pro Audio with your information in order to find out the status of your repair. Dale Epperson does not provide direct end user customer service, RMAs, etc, in the event you have an OSA problem you must contact Atlas Pro Audio. We have had 1 OSA repair returned to OSA by UPS carrier as undeliverable, who knows that could be yours. The sooner you email us, the sooner we can help you.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoylan View Post
Please contact Atlas Pro Audio with your information in order to find out the status of your repair. We have had 1 OSA repair returned by UPS carrier, who knows that could be yours. The sooner you email us, the sooner we can help you.
Thanks Brijitte but Atlas Pro Audio is not in the loop with this .. it is one of the early modules before Nathan was involved with OSA.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Head

If you send me your contact information I will gladly do a follow up for you on your item.
Old 28th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Both the API and BAE are quite capable racks... The API is a 10 space and is around $800.. the Brent Averill is $899, but has an additional available slot.
Thanks Tony. As you said I realy think the API is a really good deal now... I might go that way knowing that.

Thanks again man.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

i found it nearly impossible to deal with dale regarding my track pack problems. however, i would never intend on steering anyone away from the OSA stuff. i talked to Nathan, who handles most if not all the OSA customer service, and he gladly rectified my situation. he's definitely a stand up guy and one of the nicest dealers i've done business with on here.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut

in the interest of being fair, i have to agree with bob on this...

i had some much older OSA modules before Nathan took over handling things for Dale, and there were definitely some QC issues.

HOWEVER...

Nathan personally took care of the problems when he found about them long after I had purchased the gear (and not even from Atlas!) He really stands behind the OSA stuff, and as I understand it, since he took over the business side the QC problems have gone away.

Which is great, because bottom line, the OSA stuff sounds fantastic, has an output trimmer which makes them MUCH more versatile, and tends to cost significantly less per channel. the L3 is a mother of a DI too. Dale has great ears, and it seems he finally partnered with a guy with the business savvy to match.

mB
Old 28th January 2007
Thanks Bob and Matt for the kind words.

For anyone who is having trouble contacting/communicating with OSA, please make sure to contact me directly. It doesn't matter if you purchased directly from OSA prior to 2002 or from Atlas after 2002. Even if you are working with Dale directly on something keep us in the loop, it's our job to facilitate communication and expediting all customer service issues. If you do not contact us chances are that it will take much longer than is necessary.
Old 29th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Gutz View Post

I just checked with Brijitte our office manager to see the status of your repair, and apparently your item was the one that did indeed get returned to the factory, and that according to Dale it had been refused (we aren't sure why)...but just to let you know it had been sent in a timely manner, got all the way to either the Canadian border (or to your door) and then was sent all the way back to Phoenix, Arizona. So it may had been a clerical error on OSA's part (maybe they mistakenly wrote the wrong address?), or customs didn't let it pass (for various security reasons?), or maybe you had thought it was something else besides the OSA and denied it, not sure, stranger things have happened. Now that we know what's going on, we'll definitely make sure you get taken care of right away!!
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I just checked with Brijitte our office manager to see the status of your repair, and apparently your item was the one that did indeed get returned to the factory, and that according to Dale it had been refused (we aren't sure why)...but just to let you know it had been sent in a timely manner, got all the way to either the Canadian border (or to your door) and then was sent all the way back to Phoenix, Arizona. So it may had been a clerical error on OSA's part (maybe they mistakenly wrote the wrong address?), or customs didn't let it pass (for various security reasons?), or maybe you had thought it was something else besides the OSA and denied it, not sure, stranger things have happened. Now that we know what's going on, we'll definitely make sure you get taken care of right away!!
Thank you very much Nathan and Brijitte. You are the best!
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
Well, threadjack notwithstanding

I just noticed that the API has a 5 year warranty, which certain audio dealers double.
That's pretty attractive.

I see now that the power issue has been fixed.
i think the lifetime warranty (to first owner) on the OSA stuff is very attractive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search