The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Difference between an MPC and a Computer nowadays?
Old 24th January 2007
  #1
Here for the gear
 

The Difference between an MPC and a Computer nowadays?

I am sorry, I came into the music creation scene during by using computer software... I hear everyone raving about MPC's and such and I am just wondering, personally, what is the difference? Please state facts if possible, none of this, "BECAUSE MPC'S RULE!! YEEEEAH!" stuff...hehe... Just wondering.. also, what do you guys like better? and why?

I just don't see a need for an MPC... but maybe I don't know all the features an MPC has that ya can't do with software.
Old 24th January 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
juicylime's Avatar
 

You can't watch porn on an MPC.
Old 24th January 2007
  #3
Gear Nut
 

as i hear it told, the MPC has some sort of mystical quantize capability that infuses a certain subtle groove into the beats that are created on it. Sounds like urban lore but they say that other samplers cannot replicate what the MPC does. Algorithms built on occult maths that inspire deeper booty shakin. or something.

The MPC - built by witches. Use at danger of losing your immortal soul.
Old 24th January 2007
  #4
Here for the gear
 

haha, so really...isnt the computer...eeeek...better?

more hands on? more visual?...more in general?...

Everyone is all.."Oh he got an MPC.... OH YAY! *CLAPS*"...

But I dont get it...

Chaylon
Old 24th January 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Some people prefer the tactile feel of hardware when creating beats or loops and many MPC users swear by it's groove (feel) and the sound of it's analog ouputs.

I don't use one personally but I can understand why those who do like it. To each his own.

With all of that said...

IF (yes IF) you have good chops and can play a nice groove into a computer sequencer or daw, being unconcerned about quantanization grooves and such things that don't exist in live music, then the computer would certainly be the way to go. Hit record and play your music... hit stop. Pick another track and sound (or actually pick up a live instrument like a guitar?) and do it again. How easy is that?

If you make beats or loops using samples then the MPC is certainly a great option.
Old 24th January 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
juicylime's Avatar
 

Computer + padKONTROL =
Old 24th January 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 

there's no latency with an mpc.
Old 24th January 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Simply the control surface. Hands-on rules!

Also, the limited feature-set. Faced with unlimited things in modern DAWs, someone experienced with an MPC will take time to learn the equivalent features on the DAW, and then fritter time on new features that may or may not be useful.

Propellerheads made a software TR-808/TR-909/TB-303 with ReBirth - somebody should make a dedicated software MPC.
Old 24th January 2007
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Ganglion's Avatar
I don't believe anyone has come up with anything like the "roll" button on the mpc. If you're big into programming, its almost worth getting one just for that.

Also, the mpc forces you to work a different way than you would on a computer. I haven't owned one for awhile now, but I think much more "visually" now that I use a computer. Definite positives and negatives to either setup.

Danny
Old 25th January 2007
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 View Post
there's no latency with an mpc.
thats the main factor for me as i play most of my beats live. also, to me the summing of drum beat elements inside the mpc4000 is better than when i use battery/cubase - it somehow dosnt sound so "computer like".

i use both. wouldnt give up either.
Old 25th January 2007
  #11
Gear Addict
 
bendecido's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
- somebody should make a dedicated software MPC.
any software designers out there please listen. the people are clammering for it. i was gonna try and use battery and guru with an mpd drumpad because im going to live in honduras for a while and need sumin more lightweight. But ive found out none of these things can beat an mpc. so i dont care im gona lug mine around.


actally u kno those digidesign bags that hold the 002 mixer plus a laptop and cables etc- that should be just th ticket it will all fir into one bag. nice
Old 13th October 2007
  #12
Gear Head
 
myowave's Avatar
 

MPC3000 the best!
Old 13th October 2007
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
jordanh's Avatar
 

i think its got a certain sound to it (mpc that is)--- but ive heard so much stuff done completely in battery etc and it can sound incredible.

Im mostly computer based but I know people who are quite the opposite.

That being said, has anybody messed around with the new "regroove mixer" in Reason 4? I know it has some "MPC" settings you can apply to your grooves. Is this the ticket to settle the differences?
Old 13th October 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
somebody should make a dedicated software MPC.
Fxpansion guru all day long!
I've been an mpc guy for many years first the 2K and then lately the 1K with the JJ OS.
My buddy was raving about guru tho so i downloaded the demo and now i'm converted - next paycheck will go their way.
Use the groove feature and you've got instant mpc stylee

About the magic groove - if you slave your seq to mpc you'll see the tempo constantly fluctuate slightly.Maybe the mpc is not keeping an absolute tempo and hence create a more human "feel"?
Old 13th October 2007
  #15
Gear Head
 
urlmonro's Avatar
 

Me likes them pads. If you're a rhythm person, you can't go wrong with them PADS. Mmmm.
Old 14th October 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
It's really the simplicity of the sequencer for me. It just works and quantizes the way i hear the beatz in my head so it's effortless. And that "roll" button lets you do some real crazy **** with hi hats (32nd notes, 16th notes, etc.) and other sounds. And it's just one less screen on the DAW to keep track of when you're doing complex mixes on an analog console like me -- plus the 8 outs into the console blows away any ITB summing to my ears.
Old 14th October 2007
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

I used two of them for years. 16 outputs.

I never heard the feel thing that people always mentioned but they did have a sound.

Very hard and agressive. Nothing like software.

I actually switched to software around 2000 because the Swedish sound was taking over pop and it sounded much cleaner and prettier. Nothing like an MPC.

If I was doing Rap, I would buy them back.

I don't miss having to print them or save those damn disks.
Old 14th March 2012
  #18
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
pads
note repeat + input quantize "half-real-time"
proper event timing when recording
no latency
limitations
proper midi timing output to hardware synths\samplers

hate printing and disks (3k with a floppy at least)
Old 14th March 2012
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
you can use them while keeping your eyes closed and imagine it's claudia schiffer down there.
Old 21st March 2012
  #20
Here for the gear
 

I think the key feature is....

Hi, I'm a new member, but I've been lurking for years, and using MPC's since their old grandpa, the Linn Drum. This thread inspired me to join.

Yes, the sounds are killer. The 8 analog outs sound great. The different levels of swing are bomb. The 16 pads feel great. But the killer feature is.... the erase button! I'll explain.

The erase button can function like a regular erase button, erasing tracks, or whole patterns, when stopped. But when the machine is rolling, the erase button does spot erase. How's that work? You press and hold erase, then as the program repeats to the spot with a mistake, simply press the offending pad, and... its gone. The beat or beats that sounded "off" are erased.

How does this help? Start to get a groove going, programming a repeating pattern. Start adding drums and percussion sounds. Gone too far- getting a little busy, or a little awkward? Spot erase! Add more, maybe erase again! Erase, fill in, erase, fill in. Operate the spot erase rhythmically, punching holes in over-busy patterns! By the time 10 or 15 minutes goes by of working on this pattern, you will be in love with both the pattern and this machine, and you will see why they just don't die, and neither does their used price on eBay! This is where the great grooves come from.

To my knowledge, this is the only machine that does that. Laptops and MIDI keyboards can't- the pads have to be integrated with the tone generator to enable that type of command.

Give it a try. Enjoy that MPC! There's a lot there.
Old 21st March 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaylon View Post
haha, so really...isnt the computer...eeeek...better?

more hands on? more visual?...more in general?...

Everyone is all.."Oh he got an MPC.... OH YAY! *CLAPS*"...

But I dont get it...

Chaylon
Neither did i until I purchased one
Old 21st March 2012
  #22
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezebomb View Post
as i hear it told, the MPC has some sort of mystical quantize capability that infuses a certain subtle groove into the beats that are created on it. Sounds like urban lore but they say that other samplers cannot replicate what the MPC does. Algorithms built on occult maths that inspire deeper booty shakin. or something.

The MPC - built by witches. Use at danger of losing your immortal soul.
It's true. But only the older models. Mpc60 mpc3000. Also other old samplers sp1200, sp12, linndrum etc.

The sequencers sucked, so they were constantly playing catch up.

Catch up in a very pleasing way.
Old 16th July 2012
  #23
Here for the gear
 

Software is great in many ways, but ultimately it comes down to two things for me - workflow and fun factor.

MPC's are dead easy to use and unlike midi controllers, there's no latency whatsoever. They're also a hell of a lot more solid. MPC's are not just sampling drum machines, but excellent sequencers as well. Sometimes being "limited" by hardware is a good thing because it is so easy to be overwhelmed by options that I'm probably never going to use or need.

As far as fun factor goes, working with hardware is a LOT more fun than doing everything "in the box." With the individual outputs on my MPC I can have some drums going into a Sherman Filterbank, another set of sounds going to a Jomox T-Resonator, other sounds going to some reverb, etc.

I just prefer the sound and hands-on feel of using hardware. I consider a MPC a "must have" in any studio. The only thing I use my computer for these days is sample editing and digital recording.
Old 1st September 2012
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
Nealatosis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaper View Post

The erase button can function like a regular erase button, erasing tracks, or whole patterns, when stopped. But when the machine is rolling, the erase button does spot erase. How's that work? You press and hold erase, then as the program repeats to the spot with a mistake, simply press the offending pad, and... its gone. The beat or beats that sounded "off" are erased.

How does this help? Start to get a groove going, programming a repeating pattern. Start adding drums and percussion sounds. Gone too far- getting a little busy, or a little awkward? Spot erase! Add more, maybe erase again! Erase, fill in, erase, fill in. Operate the spot erase rhythmically, punching holes in over-busy patterns! By the time 10 or 15 minutes goes by of working on this pattern, you will be in love with both the pattern and this machine, and you will see why they just don't die, and neither does their used price on eBay! This is where the great grooves come from.

To my knowledge, this is the only machine that does that. Laptops and MIDI keyboards can't- the pads have to be integrated with the tone generator to enable that type of command.

Give it a try. Enjoy that MPC! There's a lot there.
I don't want to turn this into a MPC vs Maschine thread, but I pretty sure that Maschine can also do the erase technique. MPC and other hardware sequencers will always have certain aspects that just can't be created in a DAW.
Old 6th September 2012
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealatosis View Post
I don't want to turn this into a MPC vs Maschine thread, but I pretty sure that Maschine can also do the erase technique. MPC and other hardware sequencers will always have certain aspects that just can't be created in a DAW.
Yes, I can confirm that many MPC features are included in maschine. Full level, 16 levels, beat repeat, spot erase, input quantize, etc. the special "groove" isn't there, but maschine has its own thing in that regard.

That said, the MPC is a wonderful machine in its own right! Working within the very limited sample RAM of an MPC 60 was an excersise in careful planning and tight sampling! Personally, I think that the aggressive sound of the MPC is its primary selling point these days where we are fairly spoiled by multi gigabyte sample libraries and hyper realistic virtual instruments. The other place where an MPC REALLY shines is when you've got lots of older MIDI gear to run....ever try syncing 12 synths to Ableton in real time? CAN be done...won't be tight like the MPC. I let go of my 3000 when I left off rap production upon selling my commercial studio, and never had the fortune of owning a 60(just learning on it) but as a Maschine owner, that is what I miss...64 MIDI channels on 4 outputs, running as the boss of all my gear!
Old 6th September 2012
  #26
Gear Addict
 
Cicatrix's Avatar
 

Syncing 12 synths is giga hyper real if I've ever seen it. spoiled much?
Old 7th September 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
ianbryn11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaylon View Post
haha, so really...isnt the computer...eeeek...better?

more hands on? more visual?...more in general?...
What does visual have to do with music? Music has to do with sound. Mpc forces u to use your ears. Particularly the older models.

Also, more is not always better.
Old 7th September 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Alex Specht's Avatar
 

"MPC sound"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipwilson View Post
The sequencers sucked, so they were constantly playing catch up.

Catch up in a very pleasing way.
"Regroove Mixer" in Reason actually has modeled algorithms of funky MPC60 sequencer clock. You can get your groove to sound like it was programed on an MPC.

Old 21st December 2012
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaper View Post
Hi, I'm a new member, but I've been lurking for years, and using MPC's since their old grandpa, the Linn Drum. This thread inspired me to join.

Yes, the sounds are killer. The 8 analog outs sound great. The different levels of swing are bomb. The 16 pads feel great. But the killer feature is.... the erase button! I'll explain.

The erase button can function like a regular erase button, erasing tracks, or whole patterns, when stopped. But when the machine is rolling, the erase button does spot erase. How's that work? You press and hold erase, then as the program repeats to the spot with a mistake, simply press the offending pad, and... its gone. The beat or beats that sounded "off" are erased.

How does this help? Start to get a groove going, programming a repeating pattern. Start adding drums and percussion sounds. Gone too far- getting a little busy, or a little awkward? Spot erase! Add more, maybe erase again! Erase, fill in, erase, fill in. Operate the spot erase rhythmically, punching holes in over-busy patterns! By the time 10 or 15 minutes goes by of working on this pattern, you will be in love with both the pattern and this machine, and you will see why they just don't die, and neither does their used price on eBay! This is where the great grooves come from.

To my knowledge, this is the only machine that does that. Laptops and MIDI keyboards can't- the pads have to be integrated with the tone generator to enable that type of command.

Give it a try. Enjoy that MPC! There's a lot there.
Maschine has this feature. I agree it kicks @ss!
Old 21st December 2012
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrix View Post
Syncing 12 synths is giga hyper real if I've ever seen it. spoiled much?
I dont get it.... I think I said "multi-gigabyte sample libraries and hyper-real VST instruments".... what is "giga hyper real"???

in terms of syncing 12 synths to Ableton, try it... you'll see, I'm not spoiled at all, in fact it's a bear to do.

Now, if you mean "you're spoiled because you busted your ASS to earn and save enough money to BUY those 12 synths" then sure... I'm spoiled for choice in making my music with the tools that my hard earned money purchased.

If you meant none of these things, then accept my apology for being snarky!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
bendecido / So Much Gear, So Little Time
5
Osten Powers / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
4
sasha222 / Music Computers
49
Ahellam / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump