The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap Near Field Monitors
Old 24th January 2007
Deleted User
Cheap Near Field Monitors

I plan on buying a pair of cheap nearfield monitors for Pc usage (occasional home recordesque stuff and just music).

I am currently considering the following:

Yamaha Hs80
Prodide Pro 8
KRK RP 6
Event TR6
Roland DS-5

Those are the ones I have good measurements on, and that are decently neutral. The most neutral is probably the Event, followed by Yamaha.
I know this is not majorly important, but what I do not want are regional peaks that would not translate well. All of those monitors do a decent job.

What I am kind of partial about, is that Event and Propide have no waveguide, which might be a little problematic considering I am going to use them in my bedroom, mostly.

So maybe you could tell me something about how those monitors translate. I want to eliminate at least three until I start testing them.
Old 24th January 2007
Deleted User
could someone please nudge this into the budget forum - i am an idiot
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

TASCAM VL-X5
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

TASCAM VL-X5
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

wow, two suggestions for the vl-x5's. i actually use these as a second set myself and really like the sound of them, especially for their price/size. there's something about switching back and forth between a mix and a commercial release on them that works very well. it looks like your budget might be more than twice what these cost so you could use the rest for room treatment which will always increase mix translation. but if you're sticking to your list i would probably lean toward the hs80m's.
Old 25th January 2007
Deleted User
The Tascam are even less than I originally tried to spend, but the response seems to be really good.
So it's probably gonna be between the Tascam, Yamaha and KRK.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Try Adam a7- they are awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search