The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DILEMMA - Artist or Songwriter/Producer?
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I tried to put it to an end by asking to hear some songs and he made it sound as if it was a matter of national security. You won't hear anything. That's when I became skeptical.

A well respected GS member was playing a big new dude's stuff well before it was released without a problem. You do the math.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

Walters... That is you, isn't it? You're brilliant! You managed to suck everybody in yet again.
Old 25th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdrive View Post
They're still unreleased. And in case you want to know the names of these unreleased songs, I am sorry I cant give that away for obvious reasons. It's weird enough that I am posting this thread here, as some of you already stated.
If they are not released yet then I don't think they have sold the required amount yet to be hit certified...how can a song be a hit if it's not even been released for airplay?

If they have been released and are hits, then I stand to be corrected.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Grand View Post
yeah but in case the dude is for real he'd be pretty stupid to post his songs since that may **** up his relationship with his lawyer, as well as manager and i'm sure the labels that made him an offer would take them back in a heartbeat if they'd see a possible future artist not being sure about whether or not he actually should become an artist. plus you dont really have to hear his songs to give him advice, so all of this really revolves around all of us just trying to figure out whether or not he's for real, which in my book is a waste of time since it has nothing to do with the thread and we'll never figure it out anyway. and trying to get him to send you his songs cuz you want to become his touring drummer is just childish. if he's the real deal he most likely has musicians available anyway. so we all may as well just give him the benefit of the doubt and share our wisdom about the biz with him. wont hurt.

my advice is: first artist, then producer and writer. the day you do turn 40 you may regret that you didnt tour and put out records will you were still young. may as well do it while you can. and what's better than seeing the world and meeting new people every day? best thing you can do if you are young and not committed to anything/anyone. good luck!

Yeah you're right!! How foolish of me to offer my drumming services--more money being part of the team of lawyers. managers and promo people. Thanks so much for pointing that out......
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm a drummer with a van and a rehearsal studio looking to partner up with a very good looking, hit song writing artist who has major label interest. Any advice on where to start?
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Guru

I don't see how an "I'm an artist with labels chasing after me" thread is any different from an "I have a million dollars to spend on a studio" thread.

My advice to both:

Invest in Real Estate!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
I'm a drummer with a van and a rehearsal studio looking to partner up with a very good looking, hit song writing artist who has major label interest. Any advice on where to start?
I think you both have about the same chances.

PS. I am just kidding.

Incidentally, I am frickin beautiful in a very attractive way and just came down from the studio with a crap-load of hit songs that I wrote. Did you say you had a van?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
I think you both have about the same chances.

PS. I am just kidding.

Incidentally, I am frickin beautiful in a very attractive way and just came down from the studio with a crap-load of hit songs that I wrote. Did you say you had a van?

Yeah and a bitchin thumping sound system with a glove compartment full of chronic!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for Jesus

Serisouly,... if the record co. really has him signed, they will tell him what he can and cant do.

If they have 2 "hits" they wont risk loosing $$$ on someone without a plan... They have a plan before they even sign someone

I cant imagine that he is for real

Not even a My space link so we can hear some tunes ?

Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

As far as I know, bands play their music in public before signing stuff, so why wouldn't we be able to hear a demo or something? I like music. Hook me up, yo!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe I am even posting. But on the off chance this is real - DON'T COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH. My good friend was given one of the largest advances in the history of an unsigned artist - worked with every great producer at the time, made videos, tons of money poured into him - including the "HIT" making promise. What songs have you heard - NONE. 4 years later - still not released.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=quietdrive;1092220Now guys.. thats EXACTLY what I said regarding the whole "hit are made before they're released" issue. Thats how **** works in this business. If you think its bull****, IT'S OKAY! Really.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point - really - but my two cents is that hits are made once they're written, period. People will react to certain songs and know it's a "hit" before they're released, and then you have songs like "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" by the Crash Test Dummies that literally no one at the label believed in and they wound up selling 6 million records on that one. I've seen gazillions of dollars spent on things that industry folks were convinced was a hit, only to see it flop, and seen the reverse happen as well... and every variation in between the two scenarios. The bottom line is NO ONE knows what a hit song is. I didn't know Mika would be a "hit" artist anywhere... just knew I loved his songs, talent, and felt completely compelled to work with him. Even had my ex-manager try to convince me to only do a few songs, not the whole record, and I said he was nuts.

We're in a business where something like 5% of records released break even, and something like only 0.0001% make significant profits. Any other business with those numbers would have closed down decades ago.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
I understand your point - really - but my two cents is that hits are made once they're written, period. People will react to certain songs and know it's a "hit" before they're released, and then you have songs like "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" by the Crash Test Dummies that literally no one at the label believed in and they wound up selling 6 million records on that one. I've seen gazillions of dollars spent on things that industry folks were convinced was a hit, only to see it flop, and seen the reverse happen as well... and every variation in between the two scenarios. The bottom line is NO ONE knows what a hit song is. I didn't know Mika would be a "hit" artist anywhere... just knew I loved his songs, talent, and felt completely compelled to work with him. Even had my ex-manager try to convince me to only do a few songs, not the whole record, and I said he was nuts.

We're in a business where something like 5% of records released break even, and something like only 0.0001% make significant profits. Any other business with those numbers would have closed down decades ago.

Couldnt have put it any better....

www.nickoosterhuis.com
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I don't see how an "I'm an artist with labels chasing after me" thread is any different from an "I have a million dollars to spend on a studio" thread.

My advice to both:

Invest in Real Estate!
What he said...

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Couldn't agree more!
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdrive
And to go even further, it's not just music. It's also food, cars, clothes.. hell even the women you fu*k. Do you think YOU choose which women to fu*k? No, society does that for you. How? It tells you which women to "desire".
I can't believe large numbers of people here are actually rejecting this statement. It was about the only thing the original poster said that I believe. It is clearly true here in the U.S. anyway.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

If you have to ask, then you don't have what it takes to be an artist. Just stay behind the scenes and be a songwriter/producer. The people who become successful artists are driven to do it beyond all reason.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Addict View Post
If you have to ask, then you don't have what it takes to be an artist. Just stay behind the scenes and be a songwriter/producer. The people who become successful artists are driven to do it beyond all reason.

Finally! thank you!! End of story----we can move on now!!
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The bottom line is NO ONE knows what a hit song is.

what he said. counting unhatched chickens and birds in the bush and all that...

oh, and read this before you put pen to paper.

good luck,
jon
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
second that.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with that, as well.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search