The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass traps - sizes?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Bass traps - sizes?

I'm speccing out some bass traps for the studio that I work in, and I'm wondering how tall they need to be, and what position up the wall I ought to be looking at. I'm intending to trap the two front corners of the room nearest the mix position. The rest of room is treated with 45kg/m3 rockwool behind open weave burlap, and the top and mid range of the room sounds great.

I've seen some that sit on the floor in the corner that are only about 3 feet tall, but then I've also seen some people build them the full height of the room. Because of a really inconvenient bank of sockets towards the bottom of the wall, I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problems by starting the trapping about 2-3 feet from the floor?

Cheers

Al
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

"I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problems by starting the trapping about 2-3 feet from the floor?"

Your not going to run in to trouble doing it that way. But you need to cover as may corners as you can. To make sure I would run from floor to ceiling if you can and even with that it may not be enough. It all depends on room size and your set up.

Glenn
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Cheers Glenn, that was quick!

What sort of depth should I be looking at? I was thinking of using the 'superchunk' method of filling the corner with 60kg/m3 rockwool and covering with fabric. The control room is roughly 6m x 4.5m and shaped like an offset hexagon, with the front and back walls being parallel. I could trap the back walls as well, but the angle of the corners are much shallower and effective trapping across here might really cut into the floorspace of the room.

Al
Attached Thumbnails
Bass traps - sizes?-sandhillsdsc01809.jpg   Bass traps - sizes?-dsc02183a.jpg  
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

EDIT - notice on the first pic where the electrical cable runs through the floor - above that there is a 2' x 1' socket panel which you can just see behind the argossy on the second picture.

Al
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

The super chunk is a great idea.. Make them as wide as you can. No less then a 2 foot face on them. Basically you want to cover as many corners that you can. If you going to put a lot of them in the room you may want to face the front of some with FRK to keep some of the high end alive. Sounds like you are only doing the front corners so you should be fine without the FRK.

Glenn
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Glenn. I was planning on making them span the two joists either side of the corners at the front, making them about 3 feet across the face. I might trap the ceiling as well? If I were to place them across the top half of the corners, that is from the skirting in the centre to the skirting at the top, would I be seriously losing any benefit? The main problem with the room is a large node right in the centre, about 2 feet behind the mix position, and the lower midrange is on the muddy side.

On a side note, how well do things like auralex's bass traps perform? I'm merely thinking out loud as rockwool is messy and I could do without spending a few days moving all the gear around the control room if possible. However, if they suck (they look kinda crap) then I'll obviously avoid em...

Muchos gracias

Al
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlez View Post
I'm speccing out some bass traps for the studio that I work in, and I'm wondering how tall they need to be, and what position up the wall I ought to be looking at. I'm intending to trap the two front corners of the room nearest the mix position. The rest of room is treated with 45kg/m3 rockwool behind open weave burlap, and the top and mid range of the room sounds great.

I've seen some that sit on the floor in the corner that are only about 3 feet tall, but then I've also seen some people build them the full height of the room. Because of a really inconvenient bank of sockets towards the bottom of the wall, I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problems by starting the trapping about 2-3 feet from the floor?

Cheers

Al
do a google search on ETHAN WINER

you will find more information that you would ever imagine.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdier View Post
do a google search on ETHAN WINER

you will find more information that you would ever imagine.

or just go here.
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
heh
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Al,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlez View Post
I'm speccing out some bass traps for the studio that I work in, and I'm wondering how tall they need to be, and what position up the wall I ought to be looking at.
Start here:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Quote:
how well do things like auralex's bass traps perform?
Not as well as 2 by 4 foot rigid fiberglass four inches thick. I actually measured Auralex LENRD bass traps in a lab, for a side by side comparison of my company's bass traps. You can see that comparison here:

www.realtraps.com/data.htm

You'll also see our test results for Foam By Mail's LENRD knock-offs. Even though Foam By Mail claims identical specs, it's clear from my tests they're lying.

dfegad

--Ethan
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Al,

You'll also see our test results for Foam By Mail's LENRD knock-offs. Even though Foam By Mail claims identical specs, it's clear from my tests they're lying.

dfegad

--Ethan
Glad to see you smoking them out of there hole (as you did with another one not so long ago).

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search