The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What does the Daking Mic Pre IV 'sound like'?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

What does the Daking Mic Pre IV 'sound like'?

I am about this |...| close to buying a new multi-channel pre. I've been romancing the GT SuPRE (which I hear isn't available right now. I have an e-mail in to GT for clarification) AND the Daking Mic Pre IV. I've heard a ViPRE and a Brick, so i have an 'idea' of what the SuPRE might sound like.

I've never heard any Daking pre. Could anyone describe the characteristics to me? Also, is Las Vegas Pro Audio a decent company to deal with?

Any other multi channel pre recommendations for 1800 or less (US)? How about racking 2 FMR RNPs for 1k? I'm not sure that it would be enough of an improvement over the built-in pres in the FW-1884 (which happen to actually be decent quality, discreet pres, with a nice, punchy sound!).

I hear hot and cold comments on the UA 610 stuff (people love it or hate it). What am I missing in that price range on par with the GT or Daking stuff?

Thanks!

Last edited by manthe; 24th January 2007 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

daking is vintage hi-fi; softer and rounder than an api, cleaner and more open than a neve. stacks like a dream.

once you get it, you'll probably come to hate the pre's in the 1884, because they don't hold a candle.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

I've had a pair of the original Daking verticals for goin on 13 years..
exceptional build quality.
Class A discrete Aggressive/forward.
.. less colored ,yet brighter than Neves.
The EQ is very aggressive. a little goes a long way
My absolute favorite pre/eq for Coles 4038's on drums and Royers on acoustic guitarsthumbsup thumbsup
Also seems to get a lot of use for electric bass guitar around these parts
Old 24th January 2007
w2w
Lives for gear

Get a Daking 4 ch mic pre IV.It sounds great & for the money,its fantastic.Do a search.Its a winner.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback, I'm quite certain I'll be picking up the Daking Mic Pre IV.

I'm quite certain it will be also be better than the 1884 pres. In fact, I like my GT Brick better than the 1884s. But, compared to some of the other, low-high to mid-range stuff, the 1884s actually hold up quite well! Someone on the tascamforums opened his up to do some work and found out that they are actually discrete transistor pres, and are built from quality parts. Actually, the word has been going around that the 1884 has the same pres AND AD/DA as the higher-end DM24! So, I certainly wouldn't discount them at all. In fact, I've tracked with them plenty of times when I was out of outboards and they sound just fine and stack well. They're a bit punchy, which actually works very well for the way I record drums. That said...I'm still VERY much looking forward to picking up a Daking!

I am also a HUGE fan of Groove Tubes stuff as well. I'll definitely be picking up a SuPRE if it ever becomes available, as well!
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

sounds great
i have two mic pre IV's
and i have a 32 channel
daking console !

be well

- jack
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've got the MicPreIV and a brick.
the brick is dark and great as a bass pre ifyou don't already use it for that.

The Daking is really sweeeeet sounding. On guitar amps it just works and on vocals, it still holds punch but has a sweet top end. Not harsh, but all there. PM me if you want a sample. I think there is no hype out there on this unit because it speaks for itself. You can also talk with Geoff Daking yourself. He is really approachable and a great guy. I was amazed when I first fired it up. 4 pres for that price I was pleasantly surprised. And headroom, holy crap! I have the ADL600, Dacs Clarity, Grace Design, and this is the missing link I think. Iron..
Lou
Actually here is one here. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/33539-daking-mic-pre-iv-examples.html
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Listen to those samples.. You wernt kidding about the highs.. They are there, but they are pleasant to my ears and not harse at all.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
I've got the MicPreIV and a brick.
the brick is dark and great as a bass pre ifyou don't already use it for that.

The Daking is really sweeeeet sounding. On guitar amps it just works and on vocals, it still holds punch but has a sweet top end. Not harsh, but all there. PM me if you want a sample. I think there is no hype out there on this unit because it speaks for itself. You can also talk with Geoff Daking yourself. He is really approachable and a great guy. I was amazed when I first fired it up. 4 pres for that price I was pleasantly surprised. And headroom, holy crap! I have the ADL600, Dacs Clarity, Grace Design, and this is the missing link I think. Iron..
Lou
Actually here is one here. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-in-progress-advice-requested-show-and-tell-artist-showcase-mix-offs/33539-daking-mic-pre-iv-examples.html
Absolutely gorgeous!! I got in contact with Las Vegas Pro Audio today and I am considering having a demo unit sent out! It will most likely turn into a permanent unit. I may need to wait a few weeks since I just picked up my NEW DUENDE TODAY!!heh
Old 24th January 2007
It's a first-rate preamp for every style, though I don't prefer it for classical recording. It's clear and upfront, but on the aggressive side. That's one way I'd describe it. I've posted lots of samples of it with different mics on the MP3 show and Tell forum. I also used it on the post called Coles 4040 examples.
Old 25th January 2007
Since I made the remark regarding classical music, here's an example which I think shows it's not bad for even that style. I recorded this pianist (Steinway D) using 2 U87s and 2 C414s into the Daking Mic Pre IV. There's no eq on this, just a little parallel compression using a Cranesong STC-8.
Attached Files

ClassDak.mp3 (1.26 MB, 2121 views)

Old 4th April 2007
It's amazing how little play Daking gets around here. Great for so many styles.
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

To me, the last Green Day record sound very "Daking".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search