The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
some advice
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

some advice

hi - i co-own a non-profit recording studio in colorado called Alphabet Recording Studio. You can check us out at myspace.com/alphabetrecordingstudio . I have decided to invest my college fund in gear for the studio - but it has to be gear that won't depreciate in value, so when the time comes i could sell it and go to school. I have about 9,000 dollars to spend. we have 2 neumann km184s, an audio technica 4033, a mackie onyx 1620 with firwire, an otari mx5050 1/2 inch 8-track, soon we will hava an apex 460 modded by dave thomas at advanced audio. (a full list of what we already have can be found on our website) we do all of our mixing on the computer. for plugins, we have the waves diamond bundle. i was hoping for some advice on what to spend the money on - i know it's vague, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
some thoughts so far are:
-new monitors - our m-audio bx8s are terrible, they just dont translate. i was thinking events, but im not sure if these will hold thier value.
-shure sm-7
-ribbon mic(s) - maybe royer
-2 to 4 channels of preamps
-spring reverb - id like to get a spring reverb they seem to be pretty cheap right now - i dont know that this will hold it value either

we are trying to be prepared for any type of music, so diversity is key
any comuter related gear is out because it has to hold its value
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE AND TIME, ben
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Why not rethink the "non profit" bit. You are risking your college fund - why should other people get a free ride at your expense? In my experience, if you don't value your work and time, other people won't value it either. As soon as you ask people to pay, everything changes. It's worth it for that reason alone.

Nobody can really predict what studio gear will appreciate in value. I think at best all you can hope for is some inflation protection. Anything digital is going to piss away your money.

Sounds like you need some good monitors. Adams seem to be flavour of the month. I bought some Dynaudio Acoustics. Maybe some NS10's - they aren't making anymore, and the legends will continue to boost their value.
Old 24th January 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Aren't all studios non profit nowdays? heh Seriously if you want appreciation, buy real estate. Nobody can predict outboard gear futures.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear
API holds it's value quite well. So a 3124+ will fit the bill. So does Great River. Royers seem to hold value as well. The upper end Adam monitors (S-series) also hold their value quite well.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

thanks for the advice so far - there are several reasons we have chosen (for now) to be non-profit;
- we are hoping that, being a non-profit, we will be able to secure grants, and be able to record more interesting and diverse projects - record people and groups that couldn't otherwise afford it
-we figure that it is a difficult endevour to make money at anyway, so why not become a non-profit - that way we can apply for grants
-in all honesty we dont feel that our time is as valuable as time with more experienced engineers (we are novices) - so we wouldn't feel comfortable charging very much
-we are viewing this experiance as a learning experiance, (kinda like an internship without the experianced engineer to learn from heh ) - if we can break even for a hands-on education, we are happy

I forgot to mention i was planning on buying things used. i know its a gamble and i cannot predict what gear will hold its value - but i was planning on going with names that have held thier value thus far - api, Neumann, etc...

THANKS, ben
Old 24th January 2007
w2w
Lives for gear

Before you get a ton of gloom & doom replies,there is nothing wrong with believing in yourself & wanting to give something a try....but.....

It is almost becoming a bad joke when you see another studio wanting to open,even worse when you have such a limited budget to work with....what can you offer clients that will make them come to you?(Im not being mean here).....I guess my point is,the studio "buisness" is so bad these days,a lot of people have gone in blind & spent college funds,mortgaged houses,credit cards etc,....and found out a hard truth when they opened the doors & nobody walked in....Why not go to school,get some education/training/learn a skill/trade....and as you get older & are earning some $$,get involved & pursue it,but at least you will have something to fall back on......as much of a cliche that sounds like,its a hard fact of life.....

meanwhile,along the way,you can learn about recording,intern somewhere.If your going to be recording for free,why not knock on some doors,someone will give you a chance, (if you are already willing to work for free anyway).Then you still have your college money.

Your recordings sound very cool & old school,you obviously are not just someone jumping in with no experience.Again,no offence meant in my post,just think about your future.You can have lots of nice gear down the road,as well as probably enjoy it more knowing you know where the rent is coming from and your not starving.You will be surprised how fast the years will pass as you get older,and the longer you wait,the harder it might be for you to go to school.

Do a search,there are a lot of threads similar to your situation.Before you spend that money.....Think about YOUR future.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

thanks, w2w - what you said seems very honest, thanks for the compliment on the recordings, and for taking the time to visit our site. maybe it is more of a risk than im making it out to be, my thinking was just that instead of being money in the bank, it could be a neumann mic, or an api preamp for a couple of years, then i could turn it back into money for school. i know it's not that simple...
Old 24th January 2007
w2w
Lives for gear

No problem....I hate to sound...old.....Things are just very different in the studio world these days.....You already have a nice grasp on things,no reason you cant continue to grow & learn...and get an education too.Just think of all the gear you can buy after that!! heh

On the other side,if you never take any chances in life,how will you know....just try & think things like that out & have a little backup if things dont pan out....Best of luck!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search