The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM 57 with Afro
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

SM 57 with Afro

Lately I've been tracking my voice with my trustee 57 with a foam Afro as I like to call it. I love the sound of the mic so much more with that on it. Just thought I would share. I really love the sound of the mic with the foam.

bcgood
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

A dynamic for your main vocals? I thought condenser mics record way more detail and that's why they are used. Why do people like these Shure 57 mics? It already lacking in high end detail sounds like stupid idea, you must not know what you're doing!fuuck I hate when others try to mislead people!!!!!!
Old 24th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by csilt View Post
A dynamic for your main vocals? I thought condenser mics record way more detail and that's why they are used. Why do people like these Shure 57 mics? It already lacking in high end detail sounds like stupid idea, you must not know what you're doing!fuuck I hate when others try to mislead people!!!!!!
you have no clue what you're talking about.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No you do not know anything you idoitfuuck fuuck fuuck I have recorde many songs on soft bands and loud and I hat that mic! I borrowed one from my friend and it was so bad I hate it. I think he s tyring to sell these mics and foam heads as well. This place is for learning. I dont like this mic and I have recorded many hits in my country so I now what Im talking of.
Trying to sell 57's with foam heads? I dunno... not exactly a cash cow there. I probably wouldn't be using a 57 on vocals either, but they're still a studio standard for their versatility with drums and electric guitar. I've got a couple.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

my guess is that csilt is joking. If not, he is what we like to call 'special', and needs *encouragement* and *patience*.

But he obvious jokein
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
No you do not know anything you idoitfuuck fuuck fuuck I have recorde many songs on soft bands and loud and I hat that mic! I borrowed one from my friend and it was so bad I hate it. I think he s tyring to sell these mics and foam heads as well. This place is for learning. I dont like this mic and I have recorded many hits in my country so I now what Im talking of.
He is number 5 producer in all of Kazakhstan!
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey, easy with the fuuck fuuck fuuck dude...
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I hat that mic too.

ass hat, that is.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Lately I've been tracking my voice with my trustee 57 with a foam Afro as I like to call it. I love the sound of the mic so much more with that on it. Just thought I would share. I really love the sound of the mic with the foam.

bcgood
I've recorded many-a back-up vox with 57s (never with a sock or fro). Sounds like a good idea to try. I need a few anyhow. Are you using the standard one (like one that would fit on a 58?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
tutt tutt tutt tutt

if this place is for learning, learn this... (free of charge!)

you're just plain wrong... many excellent and experienced engineers use 57's and 58's as well as the awesome sm7, not to mention other dynamics like the md-421, md-441 and re-20, re-27 etc... for voice recording... they are pretty good for certain voices... ok, so condenser are used a lot for it but it really depends on the source... remember you're not talking to kids here.... there are quite a few engineers in this forum that would make any credits you have pale in comparison. for example how would you expect to convince bruce swedien that he shouldn't use his sm7 on michael jackson's voice? you're being the idiot here... and an agressive one to say the least.

and by the way you're coming on too strong and ignorant with the fuuck fuuck fuuck , no need for that here...

ease down bro...
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

First of all I don't know if your joking or not csilt but that is not cool either way. You seem to be a troll. At any rate I don't sell gear so I don't care if you don't buy a 57 or not. This has got to be some really bad Borat impression or this guy is mental either way, I was just trying to share something I thought was really cool. Foam enough said.

bcgood
Attached Thumbnails
SM 57 with Afro-57-afro.jpg  
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

For years my faves for vocals have been 58s and 47s ...weird that they are so differently priced.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
And you had to borrow a sm57?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cochino View Post
And you had to borrow a sm57?
heh heh
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
NO IM NOT JOKING. And dont put a 47 number next to that is stupid!!! Eveyone here just follows all the things other people buy and say oh yes you but to yes?
Old 24th January 2007
No I number faive producer of all of Khazastan #1. I dunno I have decent condensers for vocals but sometimes a dynamic is the right tool when I got a screeming rock vocalist. That can range from a 421 to a 57 to an RE20 depends on the singer...
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

uhhhhhhh... I am having a bad dream?
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

tutt Never say to one "You are Borat" if they here you say that you will be in big trouble my friend if you understand me. This is why I always just read but never post becase you are idots never by a shur 57 it is wast of mony! By a C1 much better for money stop lying to thos still young in this industy. I never post again I just read and many of you only understand one langage and so **** you!
Old 24th January 2007
Maybe you shouldn't be so rude when you post. Just because one person likes the results he is getting with a 57 doesn't mean he is selling the product or that he is an amatuer. If you want people to be respectful towards you then we would expect the same treatment from you. Do you understand me? There are no rules when you are recording. The most expensive mic can sound like **** on someone depending on the voice vice versa. The C1 is a great mic for the money but the original post wasn't comparing the 57 to anything else.
Old 24th January 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Csilt if you bag on someone for using a 57 you are obviously inexperienced and should perhaps avoid giving advice until you have finished school. BC you are right on, the foamy helps to keep the vocalist from swallowing the mic too much. I record a lot of vocalist with the exact same setup in the control room when we are writing with them and have as often as not used the vocals as finals because a tube 47 could not capture the same vibe as when they were singing with the monitors up instead of in headphones in a dead quiet room. Try doing that with a condenser csilt. Hey ya now if you rearrange the letters in csilt is spells clits....
Keep on rockin BC
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

That's so funny that you said that Led because that's exactly how I use it. For some reason I tend to get flat with headphones and a condenser, I'm not a great singer for sure either way. With the monitors on while I track it really helps me a lot. I could post a sample but I'm afraid then people will think, wow I'm never buying a 57. I do have to eq out quite a bit of lows and raise higher frequencies to get a tone I'm happy with.

bcgood
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
tutt tutt tutt tutt

if this place is for learning, learn this... (free of charge!)

you're just plain wrong... many excellent and experienced engineers use 57's and 58's as well as the awesome sm7, not to mention other dynamics like the md-421, md-441 and re-20, re-27 etc... for voice recording... they are pretty good for certain voices... ok, so condenser are used a lot for it but it really depends on the source... remember you're not talking to kids here.... there are quite a few engineers in this forum that would make any credits you have pale in comparison. for example how would you expect to convince bruce swedien that he shouldn't use his sm7 on michael jackson's voice? you're being the idiot here... and an agressive one to say the least.

and by the way you're coming on too strong and ignorant with the fuuck fuuck fuuck , no need for that here...

ease down bro...
Nothing sounds better on my own voice than an RE20. Most condensers are almost too clear for my voice, personally. I just love the rich quality of the RE20, so I'm not at all surprised that someone got great vocal results from a dynamic. There are still plenty of vocalists I would use a condenser on, but some of us just sound better with a good dynamic. Also depends on the music and the sound of the rest of the tracks, methinks.

-Zen
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
tutt Never say to one "You are Borat" if they here you say that you will be in big trouble my friend if you understand me. This is why I always just read but never post becase you are idots never by a shur 57 it is wast of mony! By a C1 much better for money stop lying to thos still young in this industy. I never post again I just read and many of you only understand one langage and so **** you!
i speak 4 languages... and know how to use a 57... you are just wrong.. judging from your posts here, if you don't post anymore, i don't think anybody will be missing it...
nobody here is lying about anything, you're just lying to yourself.

it's a case of PDNFTT. i rest my case. over and out
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

hahaha!! what a great thread to start the day with! The SM57 is one of the greatest tools if you know how to use it! I'm often surprised what a properly placed sm57 can do for an acoustic guitar in some instances. Depending on the style and tonality of a voice, i can easily see it working for vocals. the 57 is number fuuck (one) !
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

bcgood,
How dare you try to sell all of us unsuspecting gearsluts a foam afro. We are all onto you. By the way, how much are you selling your afros for?

Seriously though, I go by the old "if it sounds good it is good" way of thinking. I have had great luck with 57's for some singers and not so much for others. Whatever works.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

57s are great because they take eq so well!
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using my shure sm57 as a door dildo - maybe I should give it a try! The foam booty look awesome - haha!
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Dim, you've gone too far with the gear-sluttery!!! Just try a butt plug on your back door... they're actually made for that!
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
I record a lot of vocalist with the exact same setup in the control room when we are writing with them and have as often as not used the vocals as finals because a tube 47 could not capture the same vibe as when they were singing with the monitors up instead of in headphones in a dead quiet room. Try doing that with a condenser csilt.
Actually it is worth trying. I am often amazed at how little leakage I get using a LDC (cardioid) in the control room without head phones. I try and find the mic that sounds best with the vocalist and then go headphones or not depending on what the singer is more comfortable with.

But don't take my word for it, I love SM57s so I am obviously an idiot.
Old 24th January 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

great post guys, keep it going. fuuck all of you and your Newman U57s That mic Suuks. I never use pop screens, I only make pop music. That would be stoopid.

Seriously though, I have had the 57 be the right mic for certain singers, and applications. It's not a bad thing to be reminded of going with what works.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search