The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help: Neve 8816 and 25-pin connectors
Old 24th January 2007
Here for the gear

Help: Neve 8816 and 25-pin connectors

Hi all (my first post here!)

I need to replace my fledging Mackie 3204 rack mixer and I'm tempted to go for the Neve 8816, which I want to use not only for summing (8 returns from my RME multiface) but also as a recording mixer.

Basically I would need to connect the 8816 to sources scattered all across the room (synths, electronic drums, not mentioning the monitors, some outboard etc.) and I don't know how to go about that since 25pin D-type looms generally only have a 50cm tail at the jack end of the loom.

How do you all do with these type of connectors? Will a 25-pin to 8xjack loom followed by individual 'jack-socket-to-jack-socket' adaptors (like this... http://www.studiospares.com/pd_59509...SOCKETSAME.htm), then followed by another lead to the source, do the trick or will this affect audio quality? Should I instead cut back the outter sheath of the loom untill I have the necessary length?

Thanks for any help.
Old 24th January 2007
Led
Lives for gear

I wouldn't go the route of jack to socket to jack etc if you can avoid it. I would -
a) cut the plugs off the end of the loom and extend the cables neatly, customising the length of each cable to be a short as possible to reach the corresponding piece of gear.
b) connect the output of the loom and outboard gear connections to a patchbay for ultimate flexibility. You can have it normalled so all the signals go where you want them to be, and you can patch over them to change the configuration if needed.

I would probably go for b as it means the most flexible setup for possible future needs.
Cheers,

Led
Old 24th January 2007
Here for the gear

Many thanks Led,

Option a: would require soldering, right?

Option b: I would have thought a patchbay or a socket-to-socket adapator to be more or less the same in terms of audio degradation? (But I don't know much about cabling, really).

I have a Behringer patchbay lying somewhere in my rack, should I use that or do you recommend a more serious brand, and which one?
Old 24th January 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Yes a) would require soldering, but it's not that hard to do.
Patchbay, socket, unless you get real expensive stuff there's always gonna be some degradation. It depends on what the rooms for. If it's just for you and you don't have clients coming in you can do whatever works the best for your budget.
Hell you could trim the shrink off the end of the loom if you really wanted but I'll bet you trip over something at some point and break a cable. I'd set it up on the patchbay, just use the one you've got for now, you can change it later if you want to, but it will save you climbing around the back and swapping leads when you want to mix, depending on how many outs you have from your daw.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search