The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buy a used Apogee Rosetta 200 to add on to Steinberg UR28M?
Old 5th January 2016
Buy a used Apogee Rosetta 200 to add on to Steinberg UR28M?

Happy New Year, all.

I'm considering a used Apogee Rosetta 200 AD/DA to add onto my Yamaha/Steinberg UR28M [http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...ls/ur28m.html] interface. I mostly run Cubase 8 (sometimes Pro Tools, if I'm doing a full band project) on a PC w/Windows 7, 16 gigs of RAM. If I connect them using S/PDIF and use the Rosetta's clock, then I get the functionality of the Steinberg interface with the better quality in/out of the Rosetta, ideally, right?

I have tried a few new interfaces, most notably the Audient ID 14 [http://audient.com/products/id14] (great preamps, loud/clear headphone amp, nice AD/DA for the money, but not at all suitable for Cubase). The Steinberg interface is fabulously reliable and interfaces well with Cubase (naturally), but the preamps and converters leave something to be desired. I've done many a session with better preamps and converters, so I know what I'm missing at home.

If I buy a used Apogee Rosetta 200, I imagine I'll get considerably better in/out quality, and it will give me a better way of hooking up better outboard preamps and compressors.

I'm also considering an RME ADI-2, which, used, is in the same price range.

Can I get a bit of insight and guidance from folks who know the Rosetta 200? It'll run me about $500 USD, which is perfectly manageable if I get the kind of improvement I hope for. Please let me know if you think this is a good way to go.

Big thanks in advance to anybody out there who can help me along in my decision making here.

Allan Ploth

Last edited by allanploth; 5th January 2016 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 6th January 2016
Bump. Any thoughts?
Old 5th April 2016
Here for the gear

Allan, I was going to ask the exact same question. I wonder if there is any way to combine the functionality of the ur28m with better DAC.

How do you plan to connect your speakers in this setup by the way? I have 3 sets of speakers and need the monitor selection of the ur28m desperately. However if I connect the DAC via the SPDIF Out, how can I get back to the ur28m for monitor controlling? SPDIF In? Wouldn't that bring back the ur28m DAC back into play?

I have too many questions about this in my mind..
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Addict
I think you can mirror the SPDIF out using any of the Mix outputs or the DAW output. I think the volume knob only affects the line outputs, though, so it kind of defeats the purpose of having both the ur28m and Rosetta.
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

I use a Rosetta 200 connected to an mr816x. The improvement was not subtle.

I think it's a fantastic route to go all around. The Rosetta has no level control on the outputs however so you'll need a monitor controller of some sort between its outputs and your monitors. I use a TC Level Pilot.
Old 5th April 2016
Here for the gear

So I guess there is no way to bypass the DAC of the ur28m AND use it as a monitor controller??

Connecting the standalone DAC (Rosetta, Mytek, Ross Martin, etc. ) back to the interface through SPDIF In would still bring the ur28m DAC in play, am I right?

Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornavida View Post
So I guess there is no way to bypass the DAC of the ur28m AND use it as a monitor controller??

Connecting the standalone DAC (Rosetta, Mytek, Ross Martin, etc. ) back to the interface through SPDIF In would still bring the ur28m DAC in play, am I right?

Yes
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear
Hummm...cellphone...I've been contemplating this also to use with my Emu 1820m. This way, I won't have to learn another interface and I like the "sound" of the 200. I'd just use the 200 for tracking into the 1820m and use the 200's DA for mixing/ monitoring to my speaker controller. You can use the 200's AD DA at the same time, correct..?....
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone know about the FireWire drivers for the 200? Are they updated for El Capitan?
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Hummm...cellphone...I've been contemplating this also to use with my Emu 1820m. This way, I won't have to learn another interface and I like the "sound" of the 200. I'd just use the 200 for tracking into the 1820m and use the 200's DA for mixing/ monitoring to my speaker controller. You can use the 200's AD DA at the same time, correct..?....
Yep- I run my 500 rack pres into it for tracking.
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear
SOT...Wasn't the Rosetta 200 ( 800) supposed to have been the " cat's meow " a couple years ago..?...I know technology change happens fast now a days but the techonogy in the 200 shouldn't bee obsolete this quick ? (goof)..I just wonder how it'll stack up against the new interfaces boasting great converters that cost less new than the 200 used..?
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
SOT...Wasn't the Rosetta 200 ( 800) supposed to have been the " cat's meow " a couple years ago..?...I know technology change happens fast now a days but the techonogy in the 200 shouldn't bee obsolete this quick ? (goof)..I just wonder how it'll stack up against the new interfaces boasting great converters that cost less new than the 200 used..?
Rosetta 200 is still better sounding than any converter under 1500-2000 range and it is still much better than newer stuff like RME Fireface ufx and ucx and alike

200s go for like $400-500. I just picked up a couple on ebay. I bought 2 for my rehearsal space for my band. But they are still good for extra channels in a highend studio as well. they are lightyears better sounding than Steinberg UR28 and all the new prosumer stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search