The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
computer alternatives to an mpc.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

computer alternatives to an mpc.

Ive been using my mpc200xl for over 5 years now and love it. But i have been offered a job in Honduras and its a bit weighty to carry around, I was wondering if their are any computer alternatives to it. I know akai make their mpd which is basically their mpc drumpads but for a computer so im guessing their must be a program that does what the mpc does on the computer using the mpd. Please let me know.
Im not down with those sampling programs without drum pads that make you plot out everything. I want sumin with the feel of an mpc (mpd) but on the computer.

Blessings

Bendecido
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

maybe use an mpd with native instruments battery.

havent used an mpd before so i'm not sure how they 'feel'. also midi latency may be an issue if you are playing beats 'live'.

i still believe my mpc4000 sounds better than battery. not sure if its its something to do with the summing inside the mpc as opposed to battery/cubase or whether its just me.

battery is a nice program. really easy to use and has most of the standrad features you would want for a drum machine. i use it all the time.

if you want multisamples, native instruments kontakt may be the way to go.

of course you will need a sequencing program to accompany these programs (e.g. steinberg cubase etc).

btw. there are heaps of programs out there that can do what you require.

hope this helps
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

thanks for the advice bruther. what this about this midi latency youre talking about? wil this affect the timing and the "feel"

I love the mpc and simplicity of it. I was wondering if their was a program that does everything the mpc does - sampling, sequencing, editing etc in one. so u just hook up the mpd and you got a virtual mpc.
Using 3 or 4 programs seems confusing to me. I like having simplicity.
thanks for the hlp tho ima chek em out
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi again,
I use the Korg PadKontrol and love it. It has a great feel and the x-y ribbon controller is a great feature. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Did everything work for you with the SM7b?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

fxpansion guru is the closest to a software MPC, with a built in sequencer that is similar to the mpc.

However battery is better at the sample editing shaping but does not have the sequencer which to me is the best thing about the Mpc.

I'm in the same situation as you. I still haven't decided which to go for yet.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

peace hamish.
yea i sold the sm7 no probs. Going to honduras next month for about 6 months and i dont really wanna carry my mpc my lapton my mic my pre and everything. need a solution!!!! hope everythings good with u

Hey recall does the fxpansion guru have a sample edit function (looping etc). I ges you dont really need to have a sampler in it (or on a computer for that matter) cus you can just open the audio file of a sample and edit it . hows the timestretch on it etc. <br>also bruther ive heard midi timing can be a problem because of latency.have u done any research into this- i love the timing on my mpc.

peace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search