The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon737sp/Acoustic
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Avalon737sp/Acoustic

new to the 737sp. can someone recommed some good settings(compression/etc) on the avalon for recording acoustic guitars? my mic choices at this point are rhodes ntk, octavamk319...or a marshall 603S..thanks
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

No pro,
I wouldn't normally use any EQ or compression when tracking the acoustic, if you get the settings wrong then there is no going backwards. You would be better off recording straight through and if you need to add some EQ when mixing then route the recorded acoustic back through the avalon. I find the 737's compressor hasn't a fast enough attack for acoustic guitars so if you have a multi-band compressor plugin it might be a better to tame the strums.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPro View Post
new to the 737sp. can someone recommed some good settings(compression/etc) on the avalon for recording acoustic guitars? my mic choices at this point are rhodes ntk, octavamk319...or a marshall 603S..thanks
The manual actually has a nice preset setup to start with. Don't use the compressor when tracking though thumbsup
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

ok no comp for now..will do. thanks
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

If you're going to compress going in, definitely do so lightly. If you don't have much experience with compression, then I would definitely do no compression and then mess around with it during the mix. Obviously it needs to sound good going to tape, and sometimes a little compression is the only way to make that happen. I would just be very careful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search