The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Turntables!! recommend some.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Turntables!! recommend some.

In the realm of decently affordable turntables what really sounds good??? i am hoping to get a good turntable and a few select titles (not looking for a huge library....too late for me at this point). so no $1500+ turntables with $500 cartridge.

and if you want you could name the best sounding currently available titles on record (or maybe in excellent used condition on ebay?)

what do you think??
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Pro-Ject makes kick-ass turntables. I own one myself.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...tables&lang=en
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsematary View Post

what is the price performance situation with them? looks like they have dozens of models, options, etc etc.

i really know very little about what makes for a quality turntable....
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

For around $600 you can get a Music Hall MMF-5 with a Goldring Cart. I love mine, it is probably the most popular choice for a serious entry level audiophile turntable. With a good record (try any of the Analogue Productions 45rpm Jazz reissues) this set up will KILL any digital system.

Bill
Old 23rd January 2007
WDG
Gear Head

I just got a numark TTusb. This is the one that has a USB output that will go into your computer. Also you can pick up a Sony at best buy for close to $100. Now what I have found is that the accesories are harder to get at a store. You will hvae to order online or at ebay. AKA stylus and record brushes.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

If I were starting a vinyl collection, I'd first pick up the three Beatles Anthologies; three LP's each mastered with dynamics. About 150 songs total; mostly unreleased versions, demos, etc.

The unadorned McCartney performance of "Bathroom Window" from Anthology 3 may be the nicest recording I've ever heard.

The Black Sabbath 180 gram reissues are pretty stellar, as are the AC/DC ones.

Also the Stevie Wonder stuff from the '70's was done on 180 g as well and it sounds lovely.

I've bought a few of the Zep releases too; II didn't seem to fare as well as Physical Graffitti and Presence.

Also "Love Supreme" and "Kind of Blue" sound good to me.

These days, many of the major labels are putting new releases out on vinyl, and the quality is usually v. good.

Some of them are licensing albums to smaller LP mfgrs (some Radiohead releases are this way) but some are manufacturing themselves. In both cases the quality is higher than it's been in probably decades.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the info guys....keep it coming!
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have a Pro-Ject Classic and it sounds very good! thumbsup
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

don't know where you live, but on craigslist here in los angeles, wanna be djs are constantly selling their turntables for very cheap when they realize that being a dj isn't as glamorous/easy/fun as they thought it would be. You can get used Technics 1200s sometimes for $250!

Danny
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr scratchy esq View Post
For around $600 you can get a Music Hall MMF-5 with a Goldring Cart. I love mine, it is probably the most popular choice for a serious entry level audiophile turntable. With a good record (try any of the Analogue Productions 45rpm Jazz reissues) this set up will KILL any digital system.

Bill
I've had a mmf5 for a few years now. Fantastic sounding table. I've been wanting to move up to the mmf7 but they clock in over $1000. I'd rather spend that kind money on mics...

Be sure to get a nice phono preamp with any table you plan on buying. The Grado models are great.

Cheers.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Pro-Ject range from 3-400 dollars up to a thousand and perhaps a bit more. That's store prices. The more whacky looking model, the more expensive they are basically. heh

Also, I love the Bellari (little red) tube RIAA preamp. One of the best.

I have an Audio Technica pickup on my Pro-Ject btw. Not expensive at all but very nice.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

I have a Pro-Ject Debut. Entry level for them but will play 33's, 45's and 78's. Completely manual operation, belt drive with 2 belts...one for 78's and a Grado cartidge with a 33 1/3 stylus and one for 78's.
Might want to listen to a couple of different preamps if your receiver does not have a RIAA input.
Pick up a vinyl copy of Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" when you make your turntable purchase and dito on the Stevie Wonder recordings.
Happy huntin'
Steve
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

where does a phono pre-amp fit in the signal path?

i have a pre amp that i plug my soundcard output, CD player, etc into (harmon cardon citation 21)...does that still get used with a phono pre amp or are you using a separate pre amp for the turntable and plug that right into the power amp?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

The phono pre is like a mic pre - it takes the signal and makes it a normal line signal for your amp (or soundcard).

The reason people use RIAA pre's is that new and modern amps usually don't have them built in like the old amps. The reason for that is that LP's "died" many years ago and CD became the standard.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit View Post
where does a phono pre-amp fit in the signal path?

i have a pre amp that i plug my soundcard output, CD player, etc into (harmon cardon citation 21)...does that still get used with a phono pre amp or are you using a separate pre amp for the turntable and plug that right into the power amp?
If your preamp has a RIAA or phono input you will not need a phono preamp for your turntable. Some stereo preamps have phono inputs for magnetic or coil cartridges. Some soundcards have a phono input built in.
I use my turntable with my home theater sound system and the preamp on my Rotel does not have a phono input so I picked up a Pro-Ject phono preamp to use before an input to the Rotel.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

15 posts and no one has mentioned the Linn LP-12?

THE turntable.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

I also have the Music Hall MMF-5 and really like it. I recently got the Radial J33 as my phono preamp. This thing is really cool because you can interface with your stereo via RCA and with recording gear as it has mic-level XLR outputs. Great for if you want to record samples from vinyl. You could even use it with some crazy colored mic pre for effect if you were so inclined. I'm not so inclined, but maybe I will be one day.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

Used VPI Scout.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

THE turntable is the Mitchell Hydraulic Reference.

Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

now, where did i put that lottery ticket......
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm very pleased with my Stanton STR8-80. It's a solid piece of gear for everything from simple playback to DJ, since it is also loaded with all the bells & whistles. Best feature of all is the S/PDIF output. Record directly to your computer (no phono preamp required) with the onboard A/D conversion.

There are newer models since I purchased mine, but all are around $250 +cartridge. So you can be in the game with a very decent rig for around $300.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

THE TURNTABLE... $80.000... YES, EIGHTY THOUSAND!
Attached Thumbnails
Turntables!!  recommend some.-turntable.jpg  
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear
I had a music hall 5; it was very nice, but i got tired of true-manual operation (not even auto-return) without the perks of pitch control, etc., so I "crossgraded" and picked up a pair of Stanton T-120C's with the curved arms, new industrial design, extreme pitch/speed variance control, and a pair of stanton's top of line cartridges with elliptical stylii.

all told, a very nice rig. the new Stanton stuff is really solid, build-wise, and it looks incredible. i've got those and a pair of the same-looking stanton cd decks and their 505 mixer, and it with the whole aluminum-look thing going on, it does create a nicer visage in the living room than does a pair of beat up technics or numarks!

the ability to go from 16 to 111 rpm is pretty cool too. helps when doing extreme sampling from vinyl, believe me.

v
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I cast my vote for the rega P2. I have one with one of the rega Super Elys cartridges and it's wonderful. paired with a graham slee preamp my vinyl has never sounded so good.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I HAD a Linn LP-12 w/ an upgraded PS and a Shure V-15 Vmr and it was STELLAR - just unbelievably great

The motor went out eventually and they are hell to work on ( or get a tech to work on - you cant ship it safely w/ taking it apart and using the orig box ) so I eventually went back to using my "backup" ( a Rega P3 w/ the incognito upgrade and a Shure V-15 )

And as good as the Rega is - the Linn was WAY better - and the sounds just emerged out of "blackness". Whereas the same LPs on the Rega ( w/ the same cartridge ) play much noisier

I'm very happy w/ my analog set-up - but would be even happier w/ that Linn working again

LONG LIVE THE LP !!!
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

I have a Technics SL1200 Black available for sale if you are interested. =)
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danocaster View Post
I HAD a Linn LP-12 w/ an upgraded PS and a Shure V-15 Vmr and it was STELLAR - just unbelievably great

The motor went out eventually and they are hell to work on ( or get a tech to work on - you cant ship it safely w/ taking it apart and using the orig box ) so I eventually went back to using my "backup" ( a Rega P3 w/ the incognito upgrade and a Shure V-15 )
You're probably talking about the Valhalla board going out unless your LP12 was too old to have one.

I can fix Valhalla boards; LINN doesn't have any new ones anymore. If your Valhalla goes out they tell you to get a Lingo.

Lemme know if you wanna get it going.

P-3 is a great table, although they run a tad fast (which I think was Rega's way of making things sound a bit "brighter" and "better" but they're great nontheless. The best deal in tables.)

If you're using an old belt on your P3, get a new one. They get brittle and you lose pitch stability. Also, they stretch. One way to keep them from stretching is to give the platter a bit of help getting started so the motor pulley doesn't pull so hard on the belt. Once it's at equilibrium, it's ok.

The tonearm on the P3 is used on some of the most expensive tables in the world.

The trick with the Rega arm is to get it happening without using the tracking force setting or the anti-skate.

The way you get the weight right without the tracking force is by using a stylus pressure gauge; instead of adding the force with the tracking force control, just get the arm + cartridge to read as the weight of the cart. on the gauge.

It sounds a hundred times better without it engaged.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

How about a new Michell Gyro SE?
Attached Thumbnails
Turntables!!  recommend some.-gyro.jpg  
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Here's the old Michell Double Prsima.
Attached Thumbnails
Turntables!!  recommend some.-double_prisma1.jpg  
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Here's the old Michell Double Prsima.
That's proof enough for my theory that analog, mechanical stuff will always be more pimpy and sluttish than digital gear. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search