The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mic pre used on ted templeton's work on the early VH
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

mic pre used on ted templeton's work on the early VH

I hoping someone knows what mic pres ted used on VH 1, or VH 2 or Women and Children first, or Fair Warning?

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Wasn't most of that done on one of the old UA boards? Either that or a Trident if memory serves me.....which it typically doesn't. I'm sure someone will chime in with a link to all the gear used as there are TONS of VH freaks out here.

m
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
I hoping someone knows what mic pres ted used on VH 1, or VH 2 or Women and Children first, or Fair Warning?

Thanks
Sunset Sound Studio 2 !!!!!!!!!!!

At the time it had an API/ DeMideo console, which had API components in it -- including 550A Eq's. It was similar to the Studio 3 console, which is still up and running at Sunset Sound.

Cheers,
John
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

John beat me to the answer, and he got it right.

1984 was the first VH album recorded at Eddie's home studio which at the time had an old UA solidtstate console that had originally been installed in Western Studio 3.

Soon after the album was completed the UA was replaced by a modified API.

Oh and it's Ted Templeman........

Mark
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post

1984 was the first VH album recorded at Eddie's home studio which at the time had an old UA solidtstate console that had originally been installed in Western Studio 3.

Mark
Mark --

Were you around SSR at that time?

John
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

I wonder what Ted's been up to these days? Is he still producing records? How cool would it be to have him back doing the next Van Halen album with Roth and Eddie. I think Ted's a genius!
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Skip Saylor had that API in his B room at one time. It was a patching nightmare!!
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reag1502 View Post
I wonder what Ted's been up to these days? Is he still producing records? How cool would it be to have him back doing the next Van Halen album with Roth and Eddie. I think Ted's a genius!
Don't forget about Don Landee...

JP
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

wow and I thought API was more a drum pre amp! So it is killer on Rock guitar, too! I know the TG-2 is a nice pre on guitars.

Incidentally,what about the mp-2nv, aurora mkIII, bae 1073, vintech's stuff on rock guitar?
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Smart Studios has one of the Trident A-Range consoles they used for FW. It was at Cherokee in LA at the time.

Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

i believe at one time in the late 80's that console might have been in NYC at a short-lived studio owned by Tom Silverman (Tommy Boy Records). at least he always maintained that it was the one that recorded van halen and the doobie brothers. i did a coupla sessions on it and the patching was indeed interesting!

-d. gauss
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow and I thought API was more a drum pre amp! So it is killer on Rock guitar, too! I know the TG-2 is a nice pre on guitars.

Incidentally,what about the mp-2nv, aurora mkIII, bae 1073, vintech's stuff on rock guitar?

Great pre amps are great pre amp, crappy pre amps are crappy pre amps. Sure some mic pres might really shine in a certain applications, but tons and tons of classic records were made with only one kind of pre amp: the ones in the console.

APIs are great pre amps.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
Don't forget about Don Landee...

JP

Yeah your right! How could I forget Donn???? I hadn't had my coffee yet when I made that comment heh
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mark
What happened with Diver Down... was that done at SSR? Compared to the other DLR era stuff that one sounds like hell... every thing's really cold and thin on that record like it was done in early digital or something. Not sure if it was cut to digital or not but it does kinda have those qualities.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post
What happened with Diver Down... was that done at SSR? Compared to the other DLR era stuff that one sounds like hell... every thing's really cold and thin on that record like it was done in early digital or something. Not sure if it was cut to digital or not but it does kinda have those qualities.
Sounds like it got FUBAR-ed in the remastering process.

It really sucks that today's kids are introduced to classic rock icons like VH and Ozzy through these aweful "remaster" versions. Butchery at it's best!
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Check out the first Nicolette Larson LP.
Old 24th January 2007
w2w
Lives for gear

Anyone know where the Averill/Api console went that EVH had in his studio before he replaced it with an SSL?I remember EQ doing a cover story on him a few years ago & the few pictures of it looked cool.It would be a shame if it was just sitting in a garage or something.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know if it was a change in the gear or a change in production/mix decisions, but that album was the beginning of Eddie's guitar tone going in a thinner, brighter direction.

It's like he dropped a string gauge. Or two.

Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reag1502 View Post
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

what mic pres will get close to those consoles? only Api?
Old 26th January 2007

Quote:
what mic pres will get close to those consoles? only Api?
The actual Eddie Van Halen UA console was parted out recently, and we have been selling the modules as racked pairs.

They are available as two channel racked units for $1849. They were racked by Brent Averill.

Here's a picture of the actual module:

Just drop me a line if you're interested and I'll confirm how many we have left.
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Dibs!

Note to self: check date of postings before looking like a dumbass.
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
Mark --

Were you around SSR at that time?

John
I was on staff at SSR from late 78 to 1980, and got to work with Ted and Donn a few times . tho not on any Van Halen projects. Spent a lot of time in Studio 2 where those first few VH albums were made: Jimmy Webb, Cheryl Lynn, The Emotions, Hall & Oates and lots of live Hendrix projects to name a few.

After leaving Sunset I became a staff engineer at Warner Bros' Amigo Studios where I worked with Ted on a number of projects including Eric Clapton and David Lee Roth's first solo album...... good times.

Mark
Old 9th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
After leaving Sunset I became a staff engineer at Warner Bros' Amigo Studios where I worked with Ted on a number of projects including Eric Clapton and David Lee Roth's first solo album...... good times.

Mark
Spill the beans! Tell us the craziest DLR story you've got!
Old 9th January 2009
Gear Nut

Little Feat... Ted's best work
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Diver Down was rushed out the door because Pretty Woman was released as a single and WB demanded a full album to capitalize on the success of the single. VH went into the studio with a bunch of cover tunes and blasted out the album then WB wanted the tour..... From what I understand, these guys were pretty burnt and in need of a break at that time so the music suffered as a result. Also, the last time Mike played bass on a VH album was WACF. For the people who don't believe it, listen to everything from Fair Warning through current day and you'll hear how "guitar-y" the bass is. Either way, I was thrilled to get piss drunk and see DLR back in VH last tour.
Old 9th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Thanks
UA 610.
Old 9th January 2009
Motown legend

A number of the top LA rooms of that era had their API amplifiers and eqs. upgraded with Jensen transformers.
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

I thought early VH was UA 1108.
'
Old 10th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno;1087776, 23rd January 2007, 08:18 AM
Sunset Sound Studio 2 !!!!!!!!!!!

At the time it had an API/ DeMideo console, which had API components in it -- including 550A Eq's. It was similar to the Studio 3 console, which is still up and running at Sunset Sound.

Cheers,
John
I wrote this almost TWO years ago.

And it is still true.

API pres. DeMideo [sp?] design console. 550A EQ's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search