The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Out of my Fireface, into my Chameleon Labs 7602, back to Logic...
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Out of my Fireface, into my Chameleon Labs 7602, back to Logic...

I just got a 7602, sounds really good

Here's my question: I do hip hop -ish beats in Reason. Then I bounce individual tracks via Rewire into Logic. I would like to use the 7602 from time to time to give a little more substance the individual tracks before I start mixing in Logic.

So what's the best way to do this?

Sorry so general, JUST took the thing out of the box 'bout an hour ago...

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

update...

I tried using Logic's I/O plug on the Rewire track, sending it out #3 through a 1/4" to XLR cable, into the 7602's XLR LINE level input, then back out XLR to 1/4" into Logic.

Sounded incredibly distorted. I messed with the RME's output and input levels in the software and it didn't help.

I mean REALLY distorted. Clearly I'm doing something wrong...

Should I use the DI input on the front of the 7602? I'm scared of frying the thing with how bad that sounded...
Old 23rd January 2007
it'll work fine. use the i/o plugin in logic.
watch for processing delay, and try to keep the number of conversions as low as possible
if you have a limited number of outboard, then there is no other way than to route the tracks through the converters a couple of times.
if you only want to use it on one track (eg drums) then use it in mixdown. (if you mix OTB)

that's my idea anyway.

experiment what gives you the best sound. don't forget to try the different gain settings in the fireface. (more headroom)
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not kiddin' it sounded like total garbage... I dont know what I'm doing wrong.

I used the pre with an external synth, sounded great. used with my sm7, sounded great, tried to use it as a send in Logic, sounded like the damn thing clipping beyond belief.

settings on the 7602 to mess with??
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

K, more tinkering and I got it to work...

not sure what was going wrong earlier to be honest but all is well that ends well
Old 23rd January 2007
I see there is a gain switch on the chameleon. maybe that was on 100% ?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I see there is a gain switch on the chameleon. maybe that was on 100% ?
To be totally honest with you... The XLR line level input on the back is kind of 'stiff' for lack of a better word, and the cable wasn't pushed all the way in...

Can anyone explain this to me though:

The Mic/Line knob on this thing is really counter intuitive to me. I understand that you have to position the knob to the proper 'section' according to what input you're using (mic / line). What seems really wierd to me though is that I get more gain in the Line level section by turning the knob counterclockwise (to -20) and little to no gain turning clock wise (+10)

I mean whatever works, I figured it out. But why is it done like that?? any thoughts, I'm really curious.
Old 23rd January 2007
that is a bit weird, maybe it was made for lefthanded people
glad your cable thing worked out. thumbsup
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
that is a bit weird, maybe it was made for lefthanded people
glad your cable thing worked out. thumbsup
Yeah, isn't that strange...

Well, whatevs I guess...

Thanks for the replies
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

jgrif08,

how would you describe the sonic addition the chameleon brings to your Logic and Reason tracks?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum, Ralph View Post
jgrif08,

how would you describe the sonic addition the chameleon brings to your Logic and Reason tracks?
Well to be honest, so far I haven't experimented all that much, been pretty busy with other things. However, a lot stuff I bring out of Reason (Maalstrom patches really jump to mind) have such low gain. Personally, I've found that gaining them up in Reason (either on the instrument itself, Reason's mixer, Combinator Mastering Suite, etc...) causes some weird distortion. I've heard that Reason uses some compression algorithms that many are not fond of. So I've found that by tracking through a good sounding pre I can stay way out of the red in Reason and still track to Logic at a nice healthy level. Just sounds 'better' to me. YMMV

I could go on about analog 'warmth' but I'll spare you that tired talk. It does seem to have a bit of its own flavor. It's a very common complaint that Reason 'just sounds too thin'. So far, I've found that using the 7602 just fattens it up a little. The EQ sounds pretty nice too, although I use it very lightly when tracking.

As you can tell, I don't have a future in writing reviews for Electronic Musician... If I get time in the near future I'll post some A/B clips if you'd like.

This is just something I'm toying with. I have absolutely NO idea how common it is to use such a method. Always fun to toy around with new gear
Old 24th January 2007
if you have too little gain from your software (which is weird IME), you can always adjust the output level of the fireface. towards -10 that'll change the headroom, and make your signal higher in volume in relation to the maximum.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you have too little gain from your software (which is weird IME), you can always adjust the output level of the fireface. towards -10 that'll change the headroom, and make your signal higher in volume in relation to the maximum.
Does messing with the output levels on the FF impact Rewire tracks? Didn't know that, I'll have to give it a shot.

Basically I was just dying to try the 7602 on something when I got home. Only messed around for a little bit, but it sounded pretty good to me.

Like I said, A/B tests... haven't had time. Had some snowboarding to do today

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search