The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BLA 002 Mod or Upgrade to High End Converter?
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

BLA 002 Mod or Upgrade to High End Converter?

hey guys. just here pondering whether to get the BLA mod for my 002 or go with a really nice converter...im thinking Lavry Blue 4496 AD at this point because i like the modular aspect and also that it has a great clock itself. id start off with the 4496 w/ the 2 channel AD, and obviously add more A/D/A later.

i know theres a huge price difference, but that doesnt really matter to me for this. any possible issues with Lavry Blue and an 002 working together? a consideration for me is i am going to start doing recording as a business with a partner within the next year, so im thinking maybe the lavry is a better long term investment...even though it is very pricey compared to the 002 mod.

any thoughts? thanks
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

bump
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Don't bother polishing a turd.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

ha! that made me laugh. thanks for the response, i didnt think anyone would ever reply...ill take your comment into consideration heh

so anyone know how lavry blue will work w/ 002 using the lavry's clock? im hoping smoothly
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

BLA mod on a motu unit kicked my sound level up a notch. If you have all the mics and pres you need, spending big bucks on a convertor would be the next step. If not, you might want to get your basics covered first, since the right mic through a BLA mod is going to sound way better than the wrong mic through the best convertor money can buy.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

A friend of mine has been pondering the same question. And while I've heard good things about the BLA mod, my advice was to get an external converter. With the mod, you're stuck with the 002. If you ever want to change, upgrade, or even go somewhere else to track, etc., the stand-alone converter can go with you.

It just doesn't make sense to me to put more money into something you're likely to replace soon. Who knows, you may be in the market for a 003 within months...

I know many may argue with this, but a good converter like the Lavry Blue will probably serve you well for many years to come.

And if it matters, my friend went with the A2D.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Head

Ive been trying to find out about this for a while and Ive been doing quite a bit of reading on the subject. Im currently running a MOTU 24i/o and an ultralite for location work.

Just to try it out and see if it made a difference i conected my 24i/o to a metric halo mobile i/o just to try a different word clock source the difference it made was ridiculous!! Until then I had been looking at the Black Lion Mod for my motus but after trying that I bought a Big Ben. The motus are sounding great now but the next step is to get a Apogee Rosetta 800 and see how that compares to the now clocked MOTU.

If this improves my system any Ill be selling all the MOTU gear and replacing it with the Rosetta and a firewire card so Im still mobile.

Id look at upgrading carefully and trying gear out as I go to see what difference it makes. Having said that Im really glad I bought the big ben rather than going for the black lion mod

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search