The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions 500 Series Preamps
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Im from north europe but moved south a few years ago. My god is it complicated to recieve a package here, if its from outside EU. Acording to DHL everything above 1000€ is a «high cost» package and needs a bucket load of papers sent back and forth to here and there before they can finally send me the package from Athens airport.

People in Greece, if your going to purchase some hardware from the states I highly advice you to find a friend in the states that can recieve it for you and ship it further to you as a private package. Or send it to someone in north europe and have them ship it further to you.

Its insane what they are draging me through just to recieve a freakin package.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post
Im from north europe but moved south a few years ago. My god is it complicated to recieve a package here, if its from outside EU. Acording to DHL everything above 1000€ is a «high cost» package and needs a bucket load of papers sent back and forth to here and there before they can finally send me the package from Athens airport.

People in Greece, if your going to purchase some hardware from the states I highly advice you to find a friend in the states that can recieve it for you and ship it further to you as a private package. Or send it to someone in north europe and have them ship it further to you.

Its insane what they are draging me through just to recieve a freakin package.
Hi Kim,

I'm so sorry Greek customs is giving you such grief. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'll be sure to put Greece on my shipping sh*t list. Most of the other European countries have been rather easy and efficient with their processing.

Brad
Old 5 days ago
Attached Thumbnails
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions-dsc06746.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm running a selection of Gefell mics (UM900, UM930, M990, UMT70S & M92.1S) through the SB preamp (vs the REDD) and I must say - what a preamp!

Paired wonderfully with the SM7B but even more so with the Gefells. Dialling in some Neve flavour? Tasty stuff right there.

It's not even a 'main' feature, but it's exceptional. What a unit.

Idea for you fellas: create a tube stage (dial in saturation, tubes easily changed/accessible) that sits in the insert. Dreams.

Edit: Had a few G&T's. There's probably quite a few tube preamps that would let you do this anyway (opens Google) :¬)
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I've been tracking through the silver bullet for the past few weeks and really loving it on guitars - seems to hold up very well against other nice pres (great river, chandler tg etc).

Today was my first chance to start running some mixes through it.

WOW.

I usually have a fairly big HW chain on the mix buss of incremental compression, saturation and eq to try and glue things in an elegant way - this thing really does that thickening/compacting very well with no compression inserted at all and sounds round and full and not overcooked.

The eq is great as well - boosting a little air and a little sub - done! I am super impressed.

I am running it pretty hot A>N - purple on the whole time and red in the loud spots on N - and it seems fine to my ears - this is folky pop type stuff and not super aggressive but it sounds great and not audibly distorted.

How hot do you guys run it?

(I should mention that my DAW tracks first go through a rascal audio tonebox so I am getting a good dose of transformer love all around.)

but seriously, this might have just replaced 2 compressors, a saturation/comp and eqs on my mix chain!!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

So cool you are using the Rascal Tone box with the SB - been considering that unit for years, was just a little put off that it didn't sum to stereo pair.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
was just a little put off that it didn't sum to stereo pair.
I'm not sure what you mean - you wish it had 2 identical stereo outs?
Old 5 days ago
IBE
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc View Post

but seriously, this might have just replaced 2 compressors, a saturation/comp and eqs on my mix chain!!
I am wondering myself what pieces you all have retired/sold after buying the SB and what equipment stayed?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Just ordered my Silver Bullet!! Can't wait to try this out with the RND MBP on the inserts. And though my 'reason' for getting it right at the moment is my need for a new mic pre, it just seems like it's the hybrid box to replace all boxes.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean - you wish it had 2 identical stereo outs?
That's right, it just sums 16 in and out via d25 from memory? So just means it didn't suit my setup as I wanted to sum to stereo mix chain
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

All you need is a db25 to xlr or quarter inch cable and then take Chan 1 and 2 into your mix buss chain. Easy peasy. Been doing that for 5 years.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Hey Seed, have you tried the Fcs on the SB inserts? That's my next move. I got a feeling my P4s Plus on the inserts and Qes Labs Variable Gm on the 2 buss will make for some mojo filled goodness!

Quote:
So cool you are using the Rascal Tone box with the SB - been considering that unit for years, was just a little put off that it didn't sum to stereo pair.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Hey Seed, have you tried the Fcs on the SB inserts? That's my next move. I got a feeling my P4s Plus on the inserts and Qes Labs Variable Gm on the 2 buss will make for some mojo filled goodness!
I have a soft spot for that Variable Gm. My wallets wants to open for it!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
not on the inserts - but I've got my P4 hard wired to the stereo out of the SB, same thing, just after the SB's EQ rather than before. the 2 boxes play well together.

Bet your Qes Labs tube colour and the SB's transformer colour are a match made in heaven!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
All you need is a db25 to xlr or quarter inch cable and then take Chan 1 and 2 into your mix buss chain. Easy peasy. Been doing that for 5 years.
unless I'm very confused, how can you say sum 16 channels into the Rascal, then 2 channels out? I wanted something that was 16in>2out, which is why I have the Chandler box. I didn't want to just sum a stereo mix through 2 channels of a summer.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Glorious and surprisingly flexible!

Quote:
not on the inserts - but I've got my P4 hard wired to the stereo out of the SB, same thing, just after the SB's EQ rather than before. the 2 boxes play well together.

Bet your Qes Labs tube colour and the SB's transformer colour are a match made in heaven!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
unless I'm very confused, how can you say sum 16 channels into the Rascal, then 2 channels out? I wanted something that was 16in>2out, which is why I have the Chandler box. I didn't want to just sum a stereo mix through 2 channels of a summer.
The Rascal is 16 (or 24) in -> 2 out.

It uses a db25 for outputs because it also has monitor outputs and the "direct/bypass" outputs. But the "main output" is just two channels, the L & R sum of the inputs.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
How hot do you guys run it?
I have members of the IPCC knocking on my door asking me to stop whatever I am doing or the planet might never recover...

Alistair
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Dash View Post
The Rascal is 16 (or 24) in -> 2 out.

It uses a db25 for outputs because it also has monitor outputs and the "direct/bypass" outputs. But the "main output" is just two channels, the L & R sum of the inputs.
ahhhh ok - makes total sense. a quick glance at back made it look like just a load of outs.

loved the audio sample I heard of it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

How much Neve flavour (dial position) would emulate a classic Neve preamp?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
A classic Neve preamp can be driven more or less, just like a Silver Bullet, depending on what you want to hear.

That's my answer, anyway. I'll leave it to the experts.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
A classic Neve preamp can be driven more or less, just like a Silver Bullet, depending on what you want to hear.

Aye, I should have been more specific. Is it 1:1 with a classic Neve dial, or a different scale (i.e. more range).
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel72bg View Post
Drums processing by ''Silver Bullet'''and more.
Dropbox - MOV06749.MPG
I don't hear the drums.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aye, I should have been more specific. Is it 1:1 with a classic Neve dial, or a different scale (i.e. more range).
The amount of drive for either of the Mojo Amps is always a function of your input level. So the knob setting means nothing. If you have high input signal level then the knob set at 9:00 might be too crunchy. Whereas if you have a super low signal level it could be totally clean still at 3:00. I should also note that the Silver Bullet is not a clone of any particular vintage Neve device. So it's difficult to correlate settings on a Silver Bullet to a 1073 for instance.

Engage the Vintage filter with the N Mojo Amp and you'll get a silky Neve flavor. I advise not overthinking it. Use the Force.

Brad
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
The amount of drive for either of the Mojo Amps is always a function of your input level. So the knob setting means nothing. If you have high input signal level then the knob set at 9:00 might be too crunchy. Whereas if you have a super low signal level it could be totally clean still at 3:00. I should also note that the Silver Bullet is not a clone of any particular vintage Neve device. So it's difficult to correlate settings on a Silver Bullet to a 1073 for instance.

Engage the Vintage filter with the N Mojo Amp and you'll get a silky Neve flavor. I advise not overthinking it. Use the Force.

Brad
Love the force reference :¬)

How does that work with the preamp? In other words, the recommended 24 bit recording is to peak at -12dB.

AT what point will the dial start to 'work' at that input level?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

That is exactly right monkey. A classic Neve micamp can be driven or not driven - just like the Silver Bullet.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I had this exact same conversation with Nigel when he got his Silver Bullet last year. You know what he told me after he used it for a couple of weeks?

drBill : "Hey Nigel! How are you liking your Silver Bullet?"

Nigel : "It's like, how much more Neve could this be doc? and the answer is none. None more Neve."

drBill : "Well of course. Why didn't I think of that?" "How is the mod Brad did for you working out?"

Nigel : "oh, right. Bloody awesome. The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and..."

drBill : Oh, I see. Yeah, Eleven! You know, my Silver Bullet only goes up to ten."

Nigel : Exactly.

drBill : So does yours get any louder? I suppose it all depends on what you're feeding into it right?"

Nigel : "Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be mixing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your DAW. Where can you go from there? Where?"

drBill : "I don't know. Where? Dinner?"

Nigel : Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

drBill : Put it up to eleven.

Nigel : Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

drBill : You know, on my Silver Bullets, I just feed them a tiny bit more level on the input coming out of my DAW to make ten louder! So on mine, I make ten be the top number and just push the input to make it a little louder and a little more saturated. Right?"

Nigel : [pause] These go to eleven.

Hahaaaa!!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

PS - seriously though, it's all neve, all the time, no matter where your gain and output knobs are if you're on the N mojo block. Just like a 1073 is all 1073 Neve all the time, but sounds different depending on where it's input and output trims are. The amount of girth, or size, or depth either takes on is due to how hard you push the input as compared to the output. The harder you push, or the more you feed into it, the more "characteristically Neve" it will become - right up to 11 when it sounds like Nigel's modified vintage Big Muff.

Last edited by drBill; 4 days ago at 01:28 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm glad to know the amount of girth, size and depth is a function of how hard you push the input...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm glad to know the amount of girth, size and depth is a function of how hard you push the input...
Of course it's not the ONLY factor.....
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search