The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
Old 1st September 2017
Noa
Gear Addict

After owning the Silver Bullet for years now, I have to say that the EQ has really simplified my life. I have a whole rack of awesome 500 series EQs and preamps, but sometimes I fiddle around too much when dialing in a sound. So when I'm just rehearsing a part, or wanting to quickly get in the ballpark, I find that this EQ just sounds "right". I seem to get to a balanced spot more quickly and easily. It's been a pleasure.

Secondly, for music, I really love it on synths and pianos. It turns the bland digital feel of my ITB sounds in to warm tracks that pop out. And 30 seconds of messing with the EQ and then...done!

I used this box on a recent DLC video game character to warm up some 16 bit files and bring out some more clarity. I think it turned out great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zseKwMNAM54

Besides that, this box is very aesthetically pleasing. And I think that matters. Haha. I love the way the knobs feel and the metering looks. This is such a well built piece of gear. It feels like someone built it that cares about details. And that will always gain my respect and take my money...
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Head

I would love to see what Brad could do with like, a dedicated 3 or 4-band 500 series EQ. I've heard the Chop Shop and it sounds really great too. All I really want is the SB high and low shelves with a middle band though
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclpsrock View Post
I would love to see what Brad could do with like, a dedicated 3 or 4-band 500 series EQ. I've heard the Chop Shop and it sounds really great too. All I really want is the SB high and low shelves with a middle band though
If you want a taste of that- try an Electra! He was the engineering might behind the vision of UBK on that one, rumor has it...
Old 4th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
If you want a taste of that- try an Electra! He was the engineering might behind the vision of UBK on that one, rumor has it...
Oh!! I've looked at those a lot but I've never gotten to try one. The price is just right for the 500 series version too. Good to know... if true......
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclpsrock View Post
Oh!! I've looked at those a lot but I've never gotten to try one. The price is just right for the 500 series version too. Good to know... if true......
They are fantastic IMO! I'll let Brad elaborate, but I believe he's acknowledged this perhaps in this very thread way way back (I'm too lazy to look). Anyhow, Brad's the man
Old 4th September 2017
Gear Guru

I've been trying to get brad working on an EQ in the vein of the SB's bands for a long time..... When he's ready...... Until then, the SB's Bax EQ's are immaculate. World class IMO.

And yes, Brad did work on theElectra's, although they are a different approach. I don't think that's a secret......
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

The Electra is an amazing EQ.

And the SB is an amazing box and it's EQ sounds awesome.

Brad sure knows how to make some killer gear!!
Old 5th September 2017
Noa
Gear Addict

Brad has a knack for making tasty EQs...
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear
I spent my 1st weekend with a Silver Bullet and I am already convinced that out of all the gear I own this box will have the most positive influence on my mixes. The many tonal options are so easy to dial in, the eq is simple and works and let's not forget the pre's! I was able to get a quick mix nice and loud with a little help from my Zulu and Qes.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
I spent my 1st weekend with a Silver Bullet and I am already convinced that out of all the gear I own this box will have the most positive influence on my mixes. The many tonal options are so easy to dial in, the eq is simple and works and let's not forget the pre's! I was able to get a quick mix nice and loud with a little help from my Zulu and Qes.
That was my initial impression as well. It increased once I had experience tracking and "reamping" with it as well.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa View Post
Brad has a knack for making tasty EQs...
Tasty nachos as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
I have owned a SB for a while now, and agree with this assessment. It just works, and works well.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Maniac
I love my SB. Lately I've been enjoying the sound of a pre into the tracking of the SB instead of straight to the converters. Adds a nice sheen that requires much less work to get where I want to go. I love how I can quickly see if I like the A or the N following the preamp without even having to repatch (BAE into the N is double nice). I'm 4 months in now and still feel like I'm still finding new uses and sounds. Great box.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

There seem to be very few user exs, so I thought I'd throw this up. With the SB and w/o. No other processing.

Cheers.

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/temp/SB_wo.wav

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/temp/SB_w.wav
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
There seem to be very few user exs, so I thought I'd throw this up. With the SB and w/o. No other processing.

Cheers.

This is the same type of thing that happened with me. A drastically improved sound just by adding the Silver Bullet.
Old 8th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Cheers.

Ha!!! Yes Jeff. Indeed. What settings were you on. Typical of the SB. Louder, bolder, more "real" and 3D.

PS [edit] : I got to thinking - even though the SB version is (for me at least) definitely the winner, Jeff really should have level matched the levels on these closer. LOL Then I downloaded them and the SB version is only 0.2dB louder in the peaks. Even pulled down 0.2dB, and perfectly matched for peaks, the SB mix clearly shows the RMS boost that the SB gives without even dropping on a Buss compressor -- getting things loud without squashing them.

Way to go Jeff! BTW, I didn't know you were a head banger......

PPS - Having you been hitting your orchestral stuff the same way? I have. Works great. More punch, less squash.

Last edited by drBill; 8th September 2017 at 08:35 PM..
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightshine View Post
This is the same type of thing that happened with me. A drastically improved sound just by adding the Silver Bullet.
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Typical of the SB. Louder, bolder, more "real" and 3D.
Yep!

Quote:
What settings were you on.
If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya!

Quote:
PS [edit] : I got to thinking - even though the SB version is (for me at least) definitely the winner, Jeff really should have level matched the levels on these closer. LOL Then I downloaded them and the SB version is only 0.2dB louder in the peaks. Even pulled down 0.2dB, and perfectly matched for peaks, the SB mix clearly shows the RMS boost that the SB gives without even dropping on a Buss compressor -- getting things loud without squashing them.
Funny you say that - I was thinking the same. I was thinking I should LM them prior to posting, but then was like, "wait - they ARE level matched (well, to within 0.2dB; close enough!) - look at the peaks!" So, yeah, this ex. really illustrates not only the extra boost in quality you get, but level as well... as you say, without even dropping on a Buss compressor. If I add my 33609 into the pot, that helps out even more. Then I can really get ALAP!

Quote:
PPS - Having you been hitting your orchestral stuff the same way?
Yep!

Quote:
BTW, I didn't know you were a head banger......
Since the day I was born.
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
If I told ya, I'd have to kill ya!
Jeff.....you've been killing me for years. You know that.....

Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Ummmmm...no....more like :

Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

YIKES!!!!!
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
YIKES!!!!!

All in screamingly good fun Jeffy!!
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Im getting the impression this is a kind of "first in, last out" thing.

I will get one soon. Either the SB or a couple of Croma's to save rack space. Though I can see the handyness of the SP in regards to it being a stereo device. I will mostly be working on stereo tracks.. Not that it is hard to have to adjust left and right seperatly with 2 Chroma's..
Old 9th September 2017
Here for the gear

Hi guy's, whats your opinion on keeping a mix bus compressor and getting this too. would the two work together for the better or would you dump the compressor from the 2 buss and use it for drum bus duty's. The Silver Bullet is a must for me.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

I use a 2 bus compressor as well, and it definitely adds to the equation, but it's only doing 0-2db. The coolest part of the SB into a comp on the 2 bus is driving into it at different levels during the song gives very different feels without losing lots of volume. So the verse can breathe and then the chorus can slam, but the actual volumes between sections is not "too far" apart for today's smaller dynamic ranges in songs. It's mostly saturation differences.
Personally, I love volume differences in songs, but this allows energy differences while keeping levels up.
Added bonus, the compressor's make up gain is nice to have after the Zulu as well.

Give it a go!
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeco View Post
Hi guy's, whats your opinion on keeping a mix bus compressor and getting this too. would the two work together for the better or would you dump the compressor from the 2 buss and use it for drum bus duty's. The Silver Bullet is a must for me.
MOST of the time, I'll wait on 2 Bus compression for mastering. Probably 60% o the time. It really depends on the style of the music. The SB will allow you to hit the same levels, or maybe hotter, without large amounts of compression. They actually work wonderfully together. But you really should experiment a bit and find what works best for you. You might find putting the comp on your drums works really well. I wouldn't sell your compressor if you like it. They can and do work hand in hand to deliver a finished, polished mix. Good luck.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
I use a 2 bus compressor as well and it definitely adds to the equation...
Yep!

Quote:
I wouldn't sell your compressor if you like it. They can and do work hand in hand to deliver a finished, polished mix. Good luck.
Yep!

Here, the SB goes into a 33609, and they work wonderfully well together.

Hey Bill - those times you use the SB and the comp together, what's first in the chain? Here, the SB comes first... sorta using the old school mindset of the bus comp being the last thing in the chain. I could do a swap and some tests, but I am right now too lazy to swap wires.
Old 9th September 2017
Here for the gear

I agree, when i get them i'll experiment to see what works for my setup. The comp is an Stam sa4000+. I'm convinced i'll get great results can't wait. it's mostly electronic/ RnB that i work on.
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yep!

Yep!

Here, the SB goes into a 33609, and they work wonderfully well together.

Hey Bill - those times you use the SB and the comp together, what's first in the chain? Here, the SB comes first... sorta using the old school mindset of the bus comp being the last thing in the chain. I could do a swap and some tests, but I am right now too lazy to swap wires.
Patchbay! Or hardware wire into a wad of DAW i/o. Instant flexibility with the flick of an insert button or patch bay cable. I actually did both.

But, to answer your question, SB first almost always. There's always an exception waiting somewhere around some corner though..... Interestingly enough, when I'm mastering, I somehow end up with the opposite - Manley first, SB second. Weird. Funny how we carve ourselves these work flow patterns and tend to stick to them. I'm not saying either is right or wrong though.... Just how I normally end up.

But more importantly, you didn't answer my question above, and you still killed me softly. I'm pretty sure I know though. The A side of the mojo amps....
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post
I will get one soon. Either the SB or a couple of Croma's to save rack space. Though I can see the handyness of the SP in regards to it being a stereo device. I will mostly be working on stereo tracks.. Not that it is hard to have to adjust left and right seperatly with 2 Chroma's..
The Chroma's are awesome, and I don't think you can go wrong there - especially if your main use is as mic amps, or re-amping mono sources. But for stereo mix bus or instrument bus duties, it's rare that Chroma nudges out the SB's for me. They have edged out the SB on drum bus with the 1176 Implodes in place. They were awesome there. Once on bass with the Pentodes in place they nudged out a SB. Again, killer there.

But for me, if I was choosing for 2 buss duties, I'd be hard pressed to swap out the SB for 2 Chromas long term on a permanent basis. Just my $0.02. Mostly because of the cascading features, metering and the variable EQ options.

I do completely understand about rack space though....I'm having those issues myself these days. I'm in the process of moving stuff that only gets used for tracking into a tracking only rack, and stuff that tends to always "stay at the same settings" like my Serpent SA3a's into a rack in the back of the room. The front racks in mix position (I'm using a mastering style Sterling desk these days) are like valuable gold, and the 4 Silver Bullets HAVE to be in the front desktop racks.
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone ever used the Silver Bullet with the Thermionic Phoenix compressor on the 2 bus.
Do they complement well together?

Thks
Sergio
📝 Reply