The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemusic3 View Post
Yes so if you had the silver bullet I am maybe going to go the chroma for extra 2 channels to use with the silver bullet then,
I might add a EQ or compressor?

Maggi Eq was a option night high end air and good lows good kinda all rounder.
But as mentioned it’s alittle more but maybe worth getting the bettermaker for the automation feature and mid - side?
It always seems people go for a compressor over the Eq any reason you think?
So it’s thinking what should be my first piece to go with the silver bullet was thinking Eq or compressor if I get a compressor would be 2 Distressor or better maker or any other suggestions? in the same price range as the better maker comp or Eq?
I could get black box hg2 but that’s may not so worth it considering I will have the silver bullet thoughts thanks!
I know it sounds simplistic but you should get what is going to help you improve your sound the most. Meaning maybe listen to the things you have recorded lately and think about if they seem lacking in compression or EQ, or which of the two would make a bigger difference that you would like.
Show replies
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys I bought a silver bullet it’s still in the box I need a different power plug
I bought a European plug sb version, I am in Australia 🇦🇺 and wondering do I need a basic adaptor like this

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...japta929#qanda

or some kinda transformer voltage thing?
Don’t want to burn up my first hardware piece! Messaged louder than lift off but no reply Yet!
Thanks
Hi there,

Congrats on getting your Silver Bullet. You can simply plug an Australian IEC power cord into the power supply. It’s as simple as that. No adapters or transformers required. It’s a universal power supply that will work anywhere in the world.

Enjoy!

Brad
Show replies
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey guys I bought a silver bullet it’s still in the box I need a different power plug
I bought a European plug sb version, I am in Australia 🇦🇺 and wondering do I need a basic adaptor like this

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...japta929#qanda
or some kinda transformer voltage thing?
Don’t want to burn up my first hardware piece! Messaged louder than lift off but no reply Yet!
Thanks
As Brad said above, just grab a normal jug plug / kettle cord 👍

I’m in Australia too and got the silver bullet a few months ago.
Show replies
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

A question to all those using the SB for mastering: Do you find that you can get by just fine with a really simple chain eg surgical eq/Silver Bullet/Compresor/Limiter?

There seems to be a lot of "the silver bullet is great but I then need to add x,y and z to it.." But I suppose this is gearslutz after all!

cheers

Phil
Show replies
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sonic Lodge View Post
A question to all those using the SB for mastering: Do you find that you can get by just fine with a really simple chain eg surgical eq/Silver Bullet/Compresor/Limiter?

There seems to be a lot of "the silver bullet is great but I then need to add x,y and z to it.." But I suppose this is gearslutz after all!

cheers

Phil
I have mastered stuff using only the Silver Bullet.

It really depends on the source. Other times I might employ one or more EQs if I need to mess with frequencies more precisely than the SB's EQ can. And sometimes I will add one or more compressors/limiters if additional control or loudness beyond the SB's transient shaving is necessary. I might add other color besides the SB's mojo block if that feels necessary.

But I usually just start with the SB. The "finishing" it provides can usually be dialed in to work with just about anything I'm working on, and if it's not 100% there I start adding other stuff to do the subtle tweaks I want to add.

My approach to mixing is similar, though I usually have a compressor paired with the SB from the start there, as I've got a couple compressors I like to mix into. I usually set compression in that context to barely kiss the peaks, more for color than for compression/loudness.
Show replies
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Hi everybody ! Can you please tell me , what would be the best compressor to insert into the Silver Bullet . I am into Heavy bass music mix/master ! I was considering the new Wes Ngbus comp or the Heritage Successor . Thank you very much !
Show replies
Obsidian would be a great choice outta many!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJURBAN View Post
Hi everybody ! Can you please tell me , what would be the best compressor to insert into the Silver Bullet . I am into Heavy bass music mix/master ! I was considering the new Wes Ngbus comp or the Heritage Successor . Thank you very much !
Show replies
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi there,

It’s a gorgeous sounding wonder machine that helps me with recording mixing and mastering- simply, it’s fun and invaluable.

Thank you all

(Edited)
Show replies

Last edited by Granz; 3 weeks ago at 03:31 AM.. Reason: Posterity
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Yes, track and mix are identical circuitry. Contact Deegan on the LTL website and he'll help you work through this. This should be a simple fix. Actually, that situation is quite odd. Are you using the SAME cables for tracking and mixing input/output when testing? It's possible that it could be a bad input/output jack or possibly a relay. But more than likely (IME) it's in the cabling.... That has tripped me up more than once I'm afraid. Doh!

In the meantime, just use the tracking I/o and keep working!! Best of luck.
Show replies
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Dr. Bill!

This thing (as well as this forum) are incredible.
Its the syrup on my waffles and the milk in my cereal.
Okay time for breakfast-
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sonic Lodge View Post

cheers

Phil
i would not say a silver bullet/compressor/limiter is a really simple chain, and also, i would not be able to get the lufs my clients are usually after with just the silver bullet alone. Lately im in love with the bettermaker mastering compressor and eq, and just recently i tried the limiter too, and it can be that tool to get one or two last dB more of loudness without sounding squashed, but in terms on sound, i liked better the compressor and eq. Highly recommended
Show replies

Last edited by HansMues; 3 weeks ago at 08:19 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
the old world audio u33 can take any amount of bass with ease transformers are as big as they get
Show replies
Old 3 weeks ago
Lately I’ve been digging just the API circuit on my master buss for pop stuff. I find it’s punchier and doesn’t loose some sparkle that my obsidian brings. On stuff I wanna tame some top end, n into a is great!
Show replies
Lives for gear
Buzz Audio Dbc 20...thank me later.

Quote:
Show replies
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Buzz Audio Dbc 20...thank me later.
If it will be a diode bridge compressor , i prefer it to be the Heritage Successor ! How about the Wes NgBus ??
Show replies
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
Anybody using a Manley nu mu with their SB?
me. its nice. I havent touched my bullet in like 10 months. i 9-3 both sides. - numu- api5500. Def need a smoother eq soon
Show replies
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Got our new album out, of which the Silver Bullet (and my 2 Stage IIs ) was a massive part - feel like the sonics took a big step up here compared to our previous output - and especially the time taken to make decisions more importantly.

https://brittleheadgirl.bandcamp.com/album/fractured

Many thanks to Brad and Bill for such awesome tools!
Show replies

Last edited by gollumsluvslave; 2 weeks ago at 03:33 PM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi all! Been loving this thread! I got my SB about 18 months ago and held out writing my 'first impression' until now. Initially I thought I should put the thing to use for a session or two first so I could give some sort of well-rounded response full of useful adjectives but honestly, I've been too busy using it and finding new uses for it!

The SB is involved in pretty much everything I do and hasn't just vastly improved my workflow and sound - it's actually taught me a lot while using it. It's also crazy fun to use. Lots of smiles every time.

If I could sum it up I'd say that every time I think the SB won't be right in the chain, I eventually work out I'm wrong.

Thanks Brad and Dr. Bill for going out and making this piece. A Chroma+ is in my future for sure

PS. Just got a pair of WT-72s. Working great with the SB on a lot of things, including 2bus!
Show replies
Gear Head

I have a Silver Bullet and Chroma + which i love, on the mix bus, mixing stems and as mic preamps. Use them all the time. I don’t have a Neve preamp but I’m tempted to get a AMS-Neve 1073 SPX. I’ve never owned a Neve before. For those who have both how close do the SB and Chroma get to the Neve sound? Or maybe they’re even better?!
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo0m View Post
Hi all! Been loving this thread! I got my SB about 18 months ago and held out writing my 'first impression' until now. Initially I thought I should put the thing to use for a session or two first so I could give some sort of well-rounded response full of useful adjectives but honestly, I've been too busy using it and finding new uses for it!

The SB is involved in pretty much everything I do and hasn't just vastly improved my workflow and sound - it's actually taught me a lot while using it. It's also crazy fun to use. Lots of smiles every time.

If I could sum it up I'd say that every time I think the SB won't be right in the chain, I eventually work out I'm wrong.

Thanks Brad and Dr. Bill for going out and making this piece. A Chroma+ is in my future for sure

PS. Just got a pair of WT-72s. Working great with the SB on a lot of things, including 2bus!
Hello,

Nice post.
Can you tell us what you learned all this time ?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Cheers
Sergio
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubshaw View Post
I have a Silver Bullet and Chroma + which i love, on the mix bus, mixing stems and as mic preamps. Use them all the time. I don’t have a Neve preamp but I’m tempted to get a AMS-Neve 1073 SPX. I’ve never owned a Neve before. For those who have both how close do the SB and Chroma get to the Neve sound? Or maybe they’re even better?!
I might have some ab comparisons of the sb vs the spx somewhere...
Show replies
Gear Head

Would love to hear. What were your impressions?
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubshaw View Post
Would love to hear. What were your impressions?
Hi there,

Well I found the spx better for my voice. And that's what I was primarily looking for. I found if a bit more velvety smooth and tonally neutral at the same time. Tighter lows. Fuller mids. This lovely grain in the upper mids. A bit more airy air on top. As if it already had a bit of compression on. The SB sometimes would sound "off" on my voice, a bit hollow in the mids, the spx always sounded right. Again, on my voice, with my mic. I did prefer the A side of things to the N side on the SB. The shootout back then was Prism Orpheus, Neve spx, SSL channel, DIY API, A Designs Ventura, and SB. Later when I settled on the spx I did another shootout with Neve spx, BAE 1073, Chandler TG2. Got the TG2 afterwards for guitars When I listen back to the few snippets I tracked on the SB now, I do hear it's a quality product. I think at the time for my first proper preamp the EQ on the spx (mid band) combined with the preferred sound, and let's face it, brand name, I'm glad I chose the spx as it just sounds good and reliable on everything. If I would do it all over again and have the budget, I'd go for 2x 1073 classic's (6k!!!) as apparently the spx doesn't even sound like a REAL vintage neve :D

Cheers!

Edit: Sent you some files.
Show replies

Last edited by nicolasmasset; 1 week ago at 02:58 AM..
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

Nice post.
Can you tell us what you learned all this time ?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Cheers
Sergio
Sure

I have a good amount of experience but the SB came along when I finally went hybrid in my own studio, which I use for writing, recording overdubs (so anything but drums - I could but better to outsource) and mixing. So I've definitely done a lot of learning just from that change. However, the SB made it all possible really quickly and comfortably and sits at the centre of my setup.

The workflow on the SB is super efficient for comparing the impact of different types/amounts of saturation on sources at different stages - tracking, processing, mixing, 2bus - including layering saturation throughout. When it's needed, when it's not (never?), how much, what kind. Of course I've always explored saturation ITB but the ability to almost instantly switch around and manipulate different (good) options using my hands certainly fits my style. I loath flicking through plugins that aren't time-based effects (and my wallet is starting to hate me for it). Also, I can't find the fine level of manipulation available on the SB anywhere else.

The inserts are useful. I have an API 5500 and Audioscape Buss Comp I use there at different times as well as before or after the SB. Playing with the 5500 and the SB Bax together is unreal and has helped me to better understand different hardware EQ approaches and when to use them.

The metering is really helpful. I often have times when I'm recording my own stuff and need to glance a long way across the room while setting levels and it's right there - easy to see. The controls are intuitive and never get in the way. Gain staging is quick and easy. I appreciate the "mirror" approach to unity gain on the mojo sections every day.

The SB finally got me to the point where I felt brave enough to make discerning tone shaping decisions (saturation/EQ/comp) while recording and commit to sounds along the way - rather than have a super-complex mixing session later. It only gets heavy-handed when you want it to and can otherwise be a beautifully subtle beast, which makes it a safe tool for experimentation. If you don't mash it, you'll really only ever get a good result.

I won't ramble on any longer. Summing up, I think seasoned pros down to the greenest of the green can get something out of the SB that will make them quickly forget the expense, which generally means it more than just 'sounds good'. I'm probably somewhere near the middle and I'm really glad I bought it when I did. I might sell other outboard in future, but I have a hunch the SB is gonna keep on giving.
Show replies
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo0m View Post
Sure

I have a good amount of experience but the SB came along when I finally went hybrid in my own studio, which I use for writing, recording overdubs (so anything but drums - I could but better to outsource) and mixing. So I've definitely done a lot of learning just from that change. However, the SB made it all possible really quickly and comfortably and sits at the centre of my setup.

The workflow on the SB is super efficient for comparing the impact of different types/amounts of saturation on sources at different stages - tracking, processing, mixing, 2bus - including layering saturation throughout. When it's needed, when it's not (never?), how much, what kind. Of course I've always explored saturation ITB but the ability to almost instantly switch around and manipulate different (good) options using my hands certainly fits my style. I loath flicking through plugins that aren't time-based effects (and my wallet is starting to hate me for it). Also, I can't find the fine level of manipulation available on the SB anywhere else.

The inserts are useful. I have an API 5500 and Audioscape Buss Comp I use there at different times as well as before or after the SB. Playing with the 5500 and the SB Bax together is unreal and has helped me to better understand different hardware EQ approaches and when to use them.

The metering is really helpful. I often have times when I'm recording my own stuff and need to glance a long way across the room while setting levels and it's right there - easy to see. The controls are intuitive and never get in the way. Gain staging is quick and easy. I appreciate the "mirror" approach to unity gain on the mojo sections every day.

The SB finally got me to the point where I felt brave enough to make discerning tone shaping decisions (saturation/EQ/comp) while recording and commit to sounds along the way - rather than have a super-complex mixing session later. It only gets heavy-handed when you want it to and can otherwise be a beautifully subtle beast, which makes it a safe tool for experimentation. If you don't mash it, you'll really only ever get a good result.

I won't ramble on any longer. Summing up, I think seasoned pros down to the greenest of the green can get something out of the SB that will make them quickly forget the expense, which generally means it more than just 'sounds good'. I'm probably somewhere near the middle and I'm really glad I bought it when I did. I might sell other outboard in future, but I have a hunch the SB is gonna keep on giving.
Nice!! Thanks for the great write-up!
Show replies
📝 Reply