The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Yeah, but it's a question that won't get answered until you try.

I'm sure Brad is very proud of his Rogue Five but there are SO MANY great 2520 footprint op amps out there. Rogue Two seems like a smart move for an SB owner.

You might want to look at some preamp op amp shootouts on this forum and on youtube, of which there are a few, to get some insight.

Jeff Steiger is gearing up to release a new op amp that looks very exciting.

I personally rely very heavily on the GAR op amps. I don't own a silver bullet but I use API 312 style preamps every time I record.
Old 1 week ago
I loved my SB N->A but I just got fond on the the A->N... something about the midrange of the A->N that has me crazy lately.... anyone else like this better?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Just got my silver bullet. Fair warning!!! this one is going to sound bias - heavy handed like I work for the company or I know someone there or I’m trying to make friends. I just spent about 10 mins with this thing and I’m shocked on how good it is and how easy to dial in the sound that’s been in my head. I have some decent preamps burls b1 going into api550a eq but I unplugged them and just messed with the silver bullet. Damn if I had picked up this thing first the amount of time, energy and money u would have saved me. Looking for the perfect combination. Anyway I will weigh in more wants I get some real time with this - the last time I felt this way was one I picked up the Burl mothership - kudos to this silver bullet - part of me wants to tell everyone the other part wants to keep it a secret- truly amazed
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Just got my silver bullet. Fair warning!!! this one is going to sound bias - heavy handed like I work for the company or I know someone there or I’m trying to make friends. I just spent about 10 mins with this thing and I’m shocked on how good it is and how easy to dial in the sound that’s been in my head. I have some decent preamps burls b1 going into api550a eq but I unplugged them and just messed with the silver bullet. Damn if I had picked up this thing first the amount of time, energy and money u would have saved me. Looking for the perfect combination. Anyway I will weigh in more wants I get some real time with this - the last time I felt this way was one I picked up the Burl mothership - kudos to this silver bullet - part of me wants to tell everyone the other part wants to keep it a secret- truly amazed
How was it shipped to you? USPS? Did Canada Customs charge a ridiculous price bringing it into Canada? Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
How was it shipped to you? USPS? Did Canada Customs charge a ridiculous price bringing it into Canada? Thanks.
Unfortunately being in Canada is the worst part about getting a Silver Bullet. You'll pay tax and duty (though not too bad as it's made in USA) on top of the 30% exchange. It's a gut punch for sure. You can occasionally see one on craigslist but it's very rare. I ate the extra cost and got one. Glad I did but still stinging about the exchange and taxes.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Unfortunately being in Canada is the worst part about getting a Silver Bullet.
It's absolutely insane how gear prices have ballooned in Canada in the past few years. The dollar is sitting at around .75 USD, plus it seems like an additional 25-35% gets tacked on. Not sure if this is due to tariffs or what, but the only way to sensibly purchase gear right now is used.
Old 6 days ago
If I recall I paid abt 350$ of customs in Canada!
Quote:
Unfortunately being in Canada is the worst part about getting a Silver Bullet. You'll pay tax and duty (though not too bad as it's made in USA) on top of the 30% exchange. It's a gut punch for sure. You can occasionally see one on craigslist but it's very rare. I ate the extra cost and got one. Glad I did but still stinging about the exchange and taxes.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Ya sounds about what I paid at the door when it arrived. Effing brutal...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Think I paid around £350 on UK customs so I win!

All worth it in the end though.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post

Exactly, the money's gone but the Silver Bullet is still here
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Paid $2950 to Sweden
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post

Same, and would pay it again in a heartbeat :¬)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Ya sounds about what I paid at the door when it arrived.
Yikes!
Old 6 days ago
Very high but still worth it!!! Customs here is crazy! Under 70$ you’re not supposed to pay customs and one time I paid 90$ of customs on a 50$ declared package of 2 tubes from bowie!!! Madness!!! And another time I paid 0$ of customs on a 1000$ package from the states... go figure.... I guess it depends on how the customs officer that is handling your product feel on that given day...
the best I was told is to get your own brokering company to Handle all your packages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Yikes!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I heard people were being detained and banned from crossing the US/Canada border with little to no warning, for minor offenses. I guess that's the world we live in now.
Old 6 days ago
Damn. And to think I’ve been salty that reverb is now charging me 6% sales tax.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I heard people were being detained and banned from crossing the US/Canada border with little to no warning, for minor offenses. I guess that's the world we live in now.
Quite a few stories about this happening in the last year or so. Crazy...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Did LTL ship through the postal service? I think that is still the cheapest hit at customs. I think it costs more going through UPS or similar company.

Thanks.

Regarding getting retained/banned at the border, I have heard that they cannot do that as easily at an airport.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes Brad actually emailed me directly to say he was dropping it off at the post office himself. Very cool! USPS express which is quite reasonable. Ya the airport is way less of a problem, the land crossing can be nerve wracking. All depends on the officer you get it seems sometimes.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Same, and would pay it again in a heartbeat :¬)
Add me to that list. Still debating a second vs a number of mister focus’s
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, I wanted to have a Silver Bullet by now but I've burned all my money shorting the NASDAQ (stupid, I know).

So let me know if one of you guys would agree to putting tracks from my song through the Silver Bullet (maybe like 4 or 5 stems) and how much you would charge (Paypal I guess?). I want to see the difference between a Silver Bullet'ed mix and a basic bitch mix

Here is the mix as it stands now. Do you think the genre of this song, with mostly synths and samples, isn't really the kind to Silver Bullet the crap out of?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to have a Silver Bullet by now but I've burned all my money shorting the NASDAQ (stupid, I know).

So let me know if one of you guys would agree to putting tracks from my song through the Silver Bullet (maybe like 4 or 5 stems) and how much you would charge (Paypal I guess?). I want to see the difference between a Silver Bullet'ed mix and a basic bitch mix

Here is the mix as it stands now. Do you think the genre of this song, with mostly synths and samples, isn't really the kind to Silver Bullet the crap out of?
There's a Silver Bullet on Access Analog, I'd (highly) recommend trying (using) it yourself. Getting a mix back from someone isn't the same...

https://accessanalog.com/

Amazing service
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jeff Steiger is gearing up to release a new op amp that looks very exciting.
What sort of op amp? That sounds intriguing indeed.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
What sort of op amp? That sounds intriguing indeed.
I would describe it as a "High End" clone of the Huntington-era API 2520, is how I understand it. Using some modern components and everything is ear selected even down to the resistors. There are even custom made semiconductor devices.

I believe they will be sold as kits and assembled op amps.

He said (on Facebook) that his reference is an old API op amp, when doing the listening tests.

Well, got my attention anyway.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would describe it as a "High End" clone of the Huntington-era API 2520, is how I understand it. Using some modern components and everything is ear selected even down to the resistors. There are even custom made semiconductor devices.
I hope that all designers are actually choosing components with their ears. Seems like the obvious way to go when you are making audio gear.

I literally spent a year listening to different brands and grades of transistors before settling upon the final recipe of the Rogue Five. Bill has an early prototype version that sounds nothing like the final product, even though the design itself is identical. The only difference is component choice. A customer wrote in the other week asking why they were unable to match the tone and saturation with another company's Colour module host that we achieved in our Mister Focus sound clips even though they were using the exact same Colour modules. A big portion of that answer came down to my component selection and the synergy of those parts in my circuits. Those part selections are the result of exhaustive and careful listening over a long period of time. But that's why we are willing to pay a premium sometimes...because gear like that just delivers musical and trusted results time and time again.

Brad

Last edited by BradM; 6 days ago at 07:33 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
I hope that all designers are actually choosing components with their ears. Seems like the obvious way to go when you are making audio gear.

I literally spent a year listening to different brands and grades of transistors before settling upon the final configuration of the Rogue Five.

Brad
Completely agree with you! I would even call that the 'fun' part, in my experience.

Rogue Five is a wonderful op amp!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
Did LTL ship through the postal service? I think that is still the cheapest hit
Options for shipping to Canada include USPS Priority Mail, Fedex Ground, and DHL Express. I believe that Fedex and DHL charge some brokerage fees, while USPS (Canada Post) charges less to process through customs. However, my understanding is tha USPS takes a little longer to process through customs since there is no broker involved. DHL Express will obviously be the fastest, since it's express service. Also I can typically get same day pick up so the processing time on my end can be a little faster too.

cheers,
Brad
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I believe they will be sold as kits and assembled op amps.

He said (on Facebook) that his reference is an old API op amp, when doing the listening tests.

Well, got my attention anyway.
Thanks for the info! On the one hand I’d say the market is saturated with 2520s, but on the other hand Jeff makes some great stuff so I’m sure it’ll be good.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search