The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

You mean you guys actually turn your Silver Bullets off?? Mine lives on the master buss, if I turn it off everything sounds terrible
Old 5th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
I meant 2x2 as 2x4 of course, not counting monitor outputs

Its not a 1073 anymore, driving something hard and mixing some back in is very useful, you should try it some time
There’s one on the Chroma by LTL
The mix function is a part of the Colour circuit. The amp itself, though intended to have character, is quite a different thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I often power on and off by disconnecting/reconnecting the power cord from the switching power supply. Most convenient this way, and can keep my power conditioner on. Any reason not to do this Brad?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhifile View Post
I often power on and off by disconnecting/reconnecting the power cord from the switching power supply. Most convenient this way, and can keep my power conditioner on. Any reason not to do this Brad?
That's a very green way to do it actually. Then not even the PSU is using power.

Brad
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Session Recall

After reading all the great posts in this thread i bought Session Recall and taped value numbers on my SB. This has been a time-saver for easy recall - i work on a fast turnover of projects and use SB on master buss for everything. It's not a very lovely aesthetic solution for the SB but it works for me! Thanks for all your generous suggestions/advice - what a great resource this is.

P.S. I spoke to David who runs SR. I mentioned to him that SR doesn't switch on the lights to indicate Mojo settings A,N, A>N, N>A. He says he's working on this for a future update. 48v and Tone lights work so i was confused that switching the Mojo didn't do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions-session-recall-snapshot.jpg   Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions-sb.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhifile View Post
I do this too, hah! No issues after years of use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I realised this has an external power supply, so adding a power switch will not make too much sense as the PSU would still receive mains. I think I am going to get one of those Chinese wifi controlled through plugs so I could turn it off with my phone when needed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I realised this has an external power supply, so adding a power switch will not make too much sense as the PSU would still receive mains. I think I am going to get one of those Chinese wifi controlled through plugs so I could turn it off with my phone when needed.
They make some where the remote controls several wall units. I have my keyboards, guitar amps, and monitors all on separate switches. I also used to have 4 corner bass baffles and 2-2x4 primeacoustic panels hinged together to make a ceiling high dampener between 2 wall mount vocal booths to reduce bleed. I stuck a guitar amp behind it with a remote switch and you could get some killer tone without deafening people in the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions-img_0734.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
That's a very green way to do it actually. Then not even the PSU is using power.

Brad
You can find extension cords and IEC cords with inline power switches pretty easily. If you're cutting power before the power supply, then there's less to worry about the quality of the switch adding noise, etc. (If you worry about those things to begin with.)

You could probably even rig up something long enough that you could place the switch within reach even if the actual power supply lives behind a rack or a desk or whatever.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xojjt222 View Post
They make some where the remote controls several wall units. I have my keyboards, guitar amps, and monitors all on separate switches. I also used to have 4 corner bass baffles and 2-2x4 primeacoustic panels hinged together to make a ceiling high dampener between 2 wall mount vocal booths to reduce bleed. I stuck a guitar amp behind it with a remote switch and you could get some killer tone without deafening people in the room.
That's pretty genius... How's the heat buildup inside there?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Dash View Post
That's pretty genius... How's the heat buildup inside there?
I haven't run any super long sessions, but we just kept a fan in there and ran it for a few minutes as needed. The real issue was, I was given an exterior office and the building we were in wasn't super insulated, so it was hot during the summer and cold during the winter. The curtains and baffle performed extremely well though. Now I'm in a new setup with a soundproof booth and I don't like it near as much. I miss the warm sound in that room.

This is the new studio I'm working with. The builders and my boss screwed me and put in a double sliding glass door instead of a small window that I asked for. They also chopped part of the room off so I couldn't have the desk facing the booth. They also went overkill with a concrete door on the other side of the booth, but the control room only has a thin door with blinds that initially had a 2" gap underneath. I had my work cut out for me trying to dial the room in, but we finally got it usable with the sliding glass door open and the curtains drawn. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions-img_0881.jpg   Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions-img_0883.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The builders and my boss screwed me and put in a double sliding glass door instead of a small window that I asked for.
Grab yourself a couple of acoustic blankets and hang them over the glass door on both sides, it will easily help tame the glass reflections.

https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/produ...ducers-choice/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Grab yourself a couple of acoustic blankets and hang them over the glass door on both sides, it will easily help tame the glass reflections.

https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/produ...ducers-choice/
That's what the red is behind the glass. Double sided heavy velvet theater curtains with sound dampening insert. Recycled from our last studio. I thought about adding them on the control room side of the sliding glass, but there isn't really a sound issue aside from door leakage from the door behind the chair. Nice link though! I might get a few of those for the home studio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what the red is behind the glass. Double sided heavy velvet theater curtains with sound dampening insert. Recycled from our last studio. I thought about adding them on the control room side of the sliding glass, but there isn't really a sound issue aside from door leakage from the door behind the chair. Nice link though! I might get a few of those for the home studio.
I bet you're getting reflections off the glass, I personally would have something covering it during mix time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

@ BradM and @ drBill
i'd like to thank you for this amazing piece of gear , you convinced me to go into itb mixing.
bellow is link for music i mixed with it in the mix buss chain and also was used for vocal saturation and as drum room recording pre.
all the best to you guys and others SB users!

[quote]Ciepły Wiatr - YouTube
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=jurek zagorski;14208002]@ BradM and @ drBill
i'd like to thank you for this amazing piece of gear , you convinced me to go into itb mixing.
bellow is link for music i mixed with it in the mix buss chain and also was used for vocal saturation and as drum room recording pre.
all the best to you guys and others SB users!

Thanks Jurek! Congrats and keep on rocking the SB!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Been following and jonsing for a Silver Bullet for at least a year now.

Finally reached out to Brad a few weeks ago but after speaking with him briefly over email about trying to get a SB all the way over to my little part of the world (East Coast Canada) I realized that my budget just wasn't going to allow for it any time soon.

Then a week later, by some incredible stroke of luck, it just so happened that a used one became available, one town over. Let me tell you that finding a used Focusrite Scarlett is rare in this part of the world, let alone a high-end piece of recording equipment like this. Meant to be!

Tried it out, spoke with Brad on the phone (super helpful, great guy), and immediately purchased.

Been working a project with it for the past couple of weeks and I am just blown away by this thing. The usability is so well thought out for a small hybrid studio like mine it's damn near perfect, and of course it sounds amazing. The difference in my mixes is striking.

By far one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. Beautiful, functional and sounds great... it's all there.

Congrats Brad and drBill on a killer product!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Congrats Orbiterred! So glad lady luck smiled on you!! Cheers, and ENJOY!

bp
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
By far one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. Beautiful, functional and sounds great... it's all there.
If my house is burning, it goes wife/kids, dog, and then silver bullet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
Been following and jonsing for a Silver Bullet for at least a year now.

Finally reached out to Brad a few weeks ago but after speaking with him briefly over email about trying to get a SB all the way over to my little part of the world (East Coast Canada) I realized that my budget just wasn't going to allow for it any time soon.

Then a week later, by some incredible stroke of luck, it just so happened that a used one became available, one town over. Let me tell you that finding a used Focusrite Scarlett is rare in this part of the world, let alone a high-end piece of recording equipment like this. Meant to be!

Tried it out, spoke with Brad on the phone (super helpful, great guy), and immediately purchased.

Been working a project with it for the past couple of weeks and I am just blown away by this thing. The usability is so well thought out for a small hybrid studio like mine it's damn near perfect, and of course it sounds amazing. The difference in my mixes is striking.

Congrats Brad and drBill on a killer product!
Great story! I'm in Vancouver and am also on the cusp of ordering one. I'd love to find a 2nd hand one here because the current exchange rate adds almost another thousand to the price after shipping. That's a big hit for my budget and has kept my wallet closed for a while now...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Great story! I'm in Vancouver and am also on the cusp of ordering one. I'd love to find a 2nd hand one here because the current exchange rate adds almost another thousand to the price after shipping. That's a big hit for my budget and has kept my wallet closed for a while now...
Make kijiji alerts for Louder Than Liftoff and Silver Bullet that goes Canada wide - I've seen 2 come and go here in Calgary already. I'm pretty sure you could negotiate a good shipping price if you find one here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
Make kijiji alerts for Louder Than Liftoff and Silver Bullet that goes Canada wide - I've seen 2 come and go here in Calgary already. I'm pretty sure you could negotiate a good shipping price if you find one here.
Good idea, thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
If my house is burning, it goes wife/kids, dog, and then silver bullet.
take the rack screws out now - just a precaution.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

SB integration with SSL xDesk...I’ve been wondering how one might approach integrating the SB with an xDesk, and wanted to run this thought by you guys:

Put the SB tracking inputs and outputs on xDesk ch1 and ch2 inserts, and put the SB mix in and mix out on the master inserts. Seems like this might offer a lot of flexibility and was wondering if anyone had thoughts about this or some other method.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

What would be a solid but no-frills interface to pair with the SB? Someone mentioned needing just 4 line inputs and 4 outputs to take full advantage of the SB? What I'm looking for doesn't have to have any mic pre's as I'd just be using the ones in the SB, and it doesn't have to have more than those 4 line ins and 4 outs. Any recs would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
What would be a solid but no-frills interface to pair with the SB? Someone mentioned needing just 4 line inputs and 4 outputs to take full advantage of the SB? What I'm looking for doesn't have to have any mic pre's as I'd just be using the ones in the SB, and it doesn't have to have more than those 4 line ins and 4 outs. Any recs would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Metric Halo LIO-8. Came from Prism Lyra and very happy with it. Deal on ATM too I believe.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Metric Halo LIO-8. Came from Prism Lyra and very happy with it. Deal on ATM too I believe.
Eesh 3k.. that's without frills? That's more expensive than the SB!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Eesh 3k.. that's without frills? That's more expensive than the SB!
Not sure what you mean by without frills? Very versatile unit.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well I talked myself into it. Just ordered a SB. Anyone running one hybrid with an Apollo X8? Just wondering the best way to hook it up. Reading the manual now...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Not sure what you mean by without frills? Very versatile unit.
I guess the minimum required interface to get the SB fully hooked up to my computer. It's gonna be hard enough convincing my other half to get the SB let alone an interface that costs more than it just to run it heh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search