The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
It is unbalanced. I use two live, and in my rehearsal spot. I like that they can connect to a mixer's unbalanced insert jack with just a single TRS cable vs. using a y-cable. Thats a Really Nice feature.

They sound good, very much on the clean end, and "it does what the knobs say on the box" way. It's not necessarily a high-end sound, the compressors you named are in a different league.
that´s what i thought... but... still, i could insert it when not using the SB for the mastering chain, such as when i use it in parallel drum bus or guitar bus

or shall I pass ?
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xojjt222 View Post
I just ordered one to go with my Silver Bullet. I wanted to get the CL1B but $$$$
cl1b is mono! and optical, no? RNC is stereo, and VCA, no transformers (or tubes) haha

but please let me know what you think of the RNC, good luck
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
cl1b is mono! and optical, no? RNC is stereo, and VCA, no transformers (or tubes) haha

but please let me know what you think of the RNC, good luck

I know and totally different price points too. I just find RNC to be transparent where the CL1B adds my preferred flavor. If I can’t get the flavor I want, I’d rather have something you really can’t hear as much (since I’m mainly doing VO work). I’ll mostly be using this as a single channel input for tracking so mono is okay. If I hit the 2 bus with the bullet, I’ll use my SSL SiX bus compressor anyways.

I was initially looking at getting the 1073N with CL1B, but I figured the Silver Bullet would be a better value and more flexible

I’ve got a lot of experimenting on my hands with SSL, Neve, and API pres at my disposal now. I’ll let you know my thoughts on the RNC once I’ve dialed it in.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
that´s what i thought... but... still, i could insert it when not using the SB for the mastering chain, such as when i use it in parallel drum bus or guitar bus

or shall I pass ?
Hard to say, if it's one of your first hardware comps I think it's wonderful for that, but if you have any of those other comps mentioned I'd say pass. Its like 99% clean, so in my opinion nice plugins likely beat it. But for a utility comp, a first hardware comp, or just something to have around for a verrrry reasonable price, it's great for that. It has lots of features like being stereo, having a sidechain, and Super Nice Mode. I just saw Steve Albini had one in a rack in his studio, as a utility comp for tracking it seemed like. Just dont expect "mojo" or anything like that, its a cheap but good utility piece. For the price it's nuts, and pretty easy to resell. Probably "worth" abt twice what it costs, good value. Check the user manual online for some discussion on how to interface the cabling. I think the SB is unbalanced also, so it may not be too complicated to set up.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. Yes. The SB has unbalanced inserts and all of my other comps are balanced and get constant use in the mix, that’s why I thought of accepting my friend’s offer. I though it could handle some dynamic control before the eq , and let the color come from the mojo amps. The thing is I’m not sure where could it be racked
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes. The SB has unbalanced inserts and all of my other comps are balanced and get constant use in the mix, that’s why I thought of accepting my friend’s offer. I though it could handle some dynamic control before the eq , and let the color come from the mojo amps. The thing is I’m not sure where could it be racked
There are a few rack mount options. This one even comes with an upgraded front panel. I think there’s another mount that holds 3 units

https://www.frontendaudio.com/funk-l...iABEgItU_D_BwE
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've had my SB wired in a couple of months now. Love it, used it on every mix i've done. I bought a Retro Revolver compressor at the same time. Decided the best place for them was right in front of me. Just had a couple of wooden 19' housings made for them so they sit firmly on desk.
Attached Thumbnails
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions-studio-desktop-17.6.19.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
There's no reason you can't use balanced gear in the unbalanced insert on the SB. The vast majority of modern balanced gear will work just fine connected to unbalanced gear.

The RNC is a fine utility compressor, so I'm not knocking it at all. Just saying you don't need to seek out unbalanced gear to use with an unbalanced insert. Balanced gear will work!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Dash View Post
There's no reason you can't use balanced gear in the unbalanced insert on the SB. The vast majority of modern balanced gear will work just fine connected to unbalanced gear.

The RNC is a fine utility compressor, so I'm not knocking it at all. Just saying you don't need to seek out unbalanced gear to use with an unbalanced insert. Balanced gear will work!
oh, Em Dash, thanks. I´m aware that most balanced gear will work. it´s just that: 1.- I would need to make insert to bantam cables 2.-Compensate for gain mismatch 3.-stop utilizing compressors that already use in the mix for other duties

I did accept the RNC with brand new high quality insert cables, and at first and quick test, found that the modjo i´m getting from the SB ´s modjo amps suffice, and the NICE button engaged sounds really good to get a little extra depth, punch, glue, etc before the eq. The gainstage works as expected, nothing to loose, much to gain. Seems RNC is staying there
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
A Silver Bullet has just landed in Frankfurt.

For the propulsion over the Atlantic i decided on the DHL courier option. USPS takes too long for me.

For those interested in the import to EU experience and cost, this is how it went for this item:
- 17th June: The bullet left Louder Than Liftoff Mission Control
- 18th June: shipment left USA and entered the stratosphere
- 19th June: the Bullet landed in Germany
- 20th June: DHL contacted me by phone and letter. They needed written permission to deal with the customs. They gave me five working days to confirm in writing, otherwise the Bullet would be shot back to the USA.
- 23rd June: I found time to write the permissions and sent them by E-mail keeping our Mission Commander informed
- 26th June: the Bullet arrived in Frankfurt and was handed over in exchange for 403 Euro in cash for the Customs duties plus DHL fees. I gave the DHL guy a bottle of extra cold water and a tip.

Now I need to get this thing unpacked and fiddle with some knobs for a change.

Last edited by lumpfish; 3 weeks ago at 06:01 AM.. Reason: As Brad pointed out, I got the courier wrong. For some reason I thought it was FedEx.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpfish View Post

For the propulsion over the Atlantic i decided on the DHL option. USPS takes too long for me.
Thanks for sharing that! I think you meant "DHL Express" instead of "Fedex".

cheers,
Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I know this is technically the Silver Bullet thread, not the Chroma thread... but for any Chroma users, how do you go about switching from inputting your mics, and then inputting your line levels?

I have two Samson S-Patch patchbays, but I do not run mic inputs through them. I'm thinking the best solution would be a simple XLR panel rack from RedCo (like this: https://www.redco.com/Redco-Custom-P...anel_id=3U7CRX) is my answer, with the back end connected to the inputs of all of my preamps. I can then either plug in my mics directly to that panel box, or I can plug in a "patch" from the patchbay to the panel box for my line level stuff I want to send to the Chromas.

My other thought is sell the two Chromas (which I love) to fund a Silver Bullet... which seems to already have this covered, ha!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpfish View Post

For the propulsion over the Atlantic i decided on the FedEx option. USPS takes too long for me.

For those interested in the import to EU experience and cost, this is how it went for this item:
- 17th June: The bullet left Louder Than Liftoff Mission Control
- 18th June: shipment left USA and entered the stratosphere
- 19th June: the Bullet landed in Germany
- 20th June: FedEx passed Bullet on to to DHL who contacted me by phone and letter. They needed written permission to deal with the customs. They gave me five working days to confirm in writing, otherwise the Bullet would be shot back to the USA.
- 23rd June: I found time to write the permissions and sent them by E-mail keeping our Mission Commander informed
- 26th June: the Bullet arrived in Frankfurt and was handed over in exchange for 403 Euro in cash for the Customs duties plus DHL fees. I gave the DHL guy a bottle of extra cold water and a tip.

Now I need to get this thing unpacked and fiddle with some knobs for a change.
Custom taxes are not the same in every EU country...
I've paid 463€ to French customs for my Silver Bullet.
But it worth it
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Thanks for sharing that! I think you meant "DHL Express" instead of "Fedex".

cheers,
Brad
Thanks, I stand corrected and edited the FedEx out.
Usually when I buy from the USA, I have it collected on my FedEx account. The only difference with DHL was they wanted cash, even though I have an account with them too. Speed was about the same.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey everyone i'm considering picking up the LTL silver bullet or chroma for my first piece of hardware gear. Do you think I should go rack for LTL SB or 500 series and 2xchroma with royal? Right now i have a few mics (c-414 BULS), an apogee duet, and a black lion audio b173 which i'll sell. I was going to get a BAE + daking comp - but after finding the SB i'm thinking that it might be way more bang for my buck at this stage and i can just compress ITB.

What do you all think?

Last edited by ry_wal; 3 weeks ago at 07:42 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_wal View Post
Hey everyone i'm considering picking up the LTL silver bullet or chroma for my first piece of hardware gear. Do you think I should go rack for LTL SB or 500 series and 2xchroma with royal? Right now i have a few mics (c-414 BULS), an apogee duet, and a black lion audio b173 which i'll sell. I was going to get a BAE + daking comp - but after finding the SB i'm thinking that it might be way more bang for my buck at this stage and i can just compress ITB.

What do you all think?
Don’t sell the 414’s
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

What do you all think?
Hi,

Thanks for considering our gear as your first outboard purchase. I'm honored. I think the question you should ask yourself is do you want something that serves as the hub of your hybrid studio and lives on your 2-bus, or are you seeking a pair of dual-personality mic /line preamps that can customized via Colour modules. If the answer is the first, then I'd look at the Silver Bullet. If the 2nd choice is more appealing for you, then go for Chroma. They both can be used interchangeably in many applications, but the Silver Bullet will be more versatile in terms of workflow due to all it's I/O and routing options.

cheers,
Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Thanks for considering our gear as your first outboard purchase. I'm honored. I think the question you should ask yourself is do you want something that serves as the hub of your hybrid studio and lives on your 2-bus, or are you seeking a pair of dual-personality mic /line preamps that can customized via Colour modules. If the answer is the first, then I'd look at the Silver Bullet. If the 2nd choice is more appealing for you, then go for Chroma. They both can be used interchangeably in many applications, but the Silver Bullet will be more versatile in terms of workflow due to all it's I/O and routing options.
Originally I was thinking I was looking for preamp + compressor. How would the SB work with the Duet? or would i need a new interface? Or maybe need to get a patch bay? I do like the idea of using the SB to give my tracks and mixes character with the preamps as a bonus. But I also like the idea of going 500 and opening that up. Kinda looking for advice in that area as well. Do you think rack mount or 500 for someone like me?

Thanks so much for the help in advance. I am open to all suggestions. and No, i won't sell the 414 haha
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well i’ve been thinging about daking fet compressors too, they're flexible and mojo laden... but then, maybe a silver bullet and an rnc comes to much the same....

I do love the daking stuff tho
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally I was thinking I was looking for preamp + compressor. How would the SB work with the Duet? or would i need a new interface? Or maybe need to get a patch bay? I do like the idea of using the SB to give my tracks and mixes character with the preamps as a bonus. But I also like the idea of going 500 and opening that up. Kinda looking for advice in that area as well. Do you think rack mount or 500 for someone like me?

Thanks so much for the help in advance. I am open to all suggestions. and No, i won't sell the 414 haha
It seems like you are going to get both anyway... I'd start with SB as this is kind of a base for everything and then add on top of that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
Well i’ve been thinging about daking fet compressors too, they're flexible and mojo laden... but then, maybe a silver bullet and an rnc comes to much the same....

I do love the daking stuff tho
I just got the Silver Bullet and RNC. You can’t go wrong. Cascading the A and N settings is a game changer. It gives you control of independently saturating for punch and warmth. Get another flavor compressor next. (If you don’t decide you need another Sliver Bullet first. Lol)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I know this is technically the Silver Bullet thread, not the Chroma thread... but for any Chroma users, how do you go about switching from inputting your mics, and then inputting your line levels?
I have my Chromas on a patchbay where their inputs are normally connected directly to a D/A so I can "reamp" line level stuff through them. I can patch something else in, but usually that's how I use them, so that's the default normal patching.

Because I keep them connected to a D/A, I have defeated phantom power on the Chromas (using the jumper inside) to prevent accidentally sending phantom through the patchbay into the converters.

When I use mics with the Chromas, I just plug the mic into the patchbay directly (using XLR to TT adapter cables I made). If I want to use a mic that requires phantom power, I have an external phantom power box I can connect to make up for the fact that I've defeated phantom from the Chromas.

Quote:
My other thought is sell the two Chromas (which I love) to fund a Silver Bullet... which seems to already have this covered, ha!
Yes! The way the Silver Bullet handles line and mic levels is really nice for quickly changing inputs without patching. There are other mic preamps (the 610 comes to mind) that do something similar with separate mic and line inputs, but the Silver Bullet is really well-thought-out for workflow.

If you can swing it, save up and get a Silver Bullet and also _keep_ the Chromas! You can tell they're related sonically, but they're not the same thing, and you'll find it's nice to have both options!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
You can tell they're related sonically, but they're not the same thing, and you'll find it's nice to have both options!
Ditto!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you can swing it, save up and get a Silver Bullet and also _keep_ the Chromas! You can tell they're related sonically, but they're not the same thing, and you'll find it's nice to have both options!
Technically there are many reasons why they are actually the same thing. But the biggest reason why they are not is the power supply in your 500 series rack. I wish I could have a mode in Chroma where it won't turn on if you power it with a sub-par rack.

Brad
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Technically there are many reasons why they are actually the same thing. But the biggest reason why they are not is the power supply in your 500 series rack. I wish I could have a mode in Chroma where it won't turn on if you power it with a sub-par rack.

Brad
Guys, I cannot stress the importance of this. Almost like putting regular gas in a car that requires premium. If you underpower your 500 gear it just won’t perform to its full potential. Brad took time to explain this to me some time ago and I’m glad I spent extra for a rack that has plenty of power for the gear (Purple Sweet Ten).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret80sMan View Post
Guys, I cannot stress the importance of this. Almost like putting regular gas in a car that requires premium. If you underpower your 500 gear it just won’t perform to its full potential. Brad took time to explain this to me some time ago and I’m glad I spent extra for a rack that has plenty of power for the gear (Purple Sweet Ten).
Amount of power (current supply) is only part of the equation. It's the quality of the power that translates into good sound. When I was originally designing the Silver Bullet I had a power supply design that was similar to a lot of gear that is on the market, and used garden variety regulators with datasheet implementations. I figured it was a decent place to start since so many pieces of gear over the last few decades relied upon those parts. What I found during development is that it wasn't hard to do better and that being lazy and settling for 2D sound and transient lameness was not the path I was interested in taking with the box. The final PSU design gave me more 3D depth, transient detail, and musical punch. To my ears it wasn't subtle, and therefore a no-brainer which design would power the Silver Bullet.

While I can control what powers the Silver Bullet, I can't control what powers Chroma. I always recommend that folks buy the absolute best rack they can afford (I have some recommendations on my support site) because it's going to color the audio of every module you load into it. It's analogous to recording in the nicest sounding room one can find. Once that sonic imprint makes it's way into your tracks, it's there for good. A mediocre power supply will translate to harsh, tubby, flat, bloated, or etched sound.

cheers,
Brad

Last edited by BradM; 2 weeks ago at 12:21 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
IBE
Gear Addict
Quote:
Amount of power (current supply) is only part of the equation. It's the quality of the power that translates into good sound. When I was originally designing the Silver Bullet I had a power supply design that was similar to a lot of gear that is on the market, and used garden variety regulators with datasheet implementations. I figured it was a decent place to start since so many pieces of gear over the last few decades relied upon those parts. What I found during development is that it wasn't hard to do better and that being lazy and settling for 2D sound and transient lameness was not the path I was interested in taking with the box. The final PSU design gave me more 3D depth, transient detail, and musical punch. To my ears it wasn't subtle, and therefore a no-brainer which design would power the Silver Bullet.

While I can control what powers the Silver Bullet, I can't control what powers Chroma. I always recommend that folks buy the absolute best rack they can afford (I have some recommendations on my support site) because it's going to color the audio of every module you load into it. It's analogous to recording in the nicest sounding room to find. Once that sonic imprint makes it's way into your tracks, it's there for good. A mediocre power supply will translate to harsh, tubby, flat, bloated, or etched sound.

cheers,
Brad
Brad, have you tried the Wes Audio Supercarrier ll 11 slot rack?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
I'm also curious, because this is in my top 3 right now.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

For what it's worth, I got the Heritage OST-6 and it seems great (aside from that fact that, as many have said, it fills up quickly... I might get a 10 soon and use the 6 as part of my life show setup though, so it's all good). I noticed that it has the same power supply (or so it appears) as what came with my Silver Bullet, and both pieces of gear sound immaculate!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBE View Post
It's one that I have not yet tried.

Brad
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search