The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
I only have 2 analogue ins on my Symphony I/O so I just wire up the mix I/O on the Silver Bullet and use that for processing individual tracks as well as mix bus.

It’s the same routing in the hardware - same sound through track and mix inputs. I also have the mic inputs hardwired to the mix outputs so I can track just by switching the input knob on the front panel. This way, everything is covered for me.
So you can route the MIC and TRACK input to the MIX outputs?

I´m confused by the manual
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
So you can route the MIC and TRACK input to the MIX outputs?

I´m confused by the manual
No - only the mic inputs can route to the Mix outputs by changing the jumper settings inside the unit. The track inputs are hardwired to the track outputs and are just there for workflow reasons which don’t necessarily count if you’re just using the track inputs for processing tracks from your DAW. The track inputs would come into their own if using hardware synths or other external gear (which I’m not currently).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
If anyone has any feelings on these unsavory options I'd appreciate hearing them. You guys are the reason I am able to pay rent, eat three meals a day, and pay for healthcare. So I want to do right by my customers at the end of the day. I'm very proud of the fact that there has never been a single price increase on the Silver Bullet since it started shipping in 2015. If you take inflation into account the price of the Silver Bullet is actually 7.8% cheaper in today's dollars. However, I'm not sure I can maintain that much longer under the current tax climate. This tariff situation is seriously stressing me out as Bill can attest.

Thanks for listening,
Brad
You gotta do what you gotta do (what that is, I couldn't begin to tell you, but I'd trust you to do the right and fair thing). I don't think anybody would begrudge whatever you decide.

I think your story should be highlighted as a case study on the residual/collateral impacts of the current administration's tariff policy, which ostensibly is meant to impact Chinese made goods, are actually deleteriously effecting small home grown businesses.

Yes, tariffs are taxes, how anyone can't see that is befuddling to me. The gaslighting is strong these days...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I think your story should be highlighted as a case study on the residual/collateral impacts of the current administration's tariff policy, which ostensibly is meant to impact Chinese made goods, are actually deleteriously effecting small home grown businesses.
Sadly, I don't think my story in unique. I'm just another casualty.

thanks,
Brad

Last edited by BradM; 4 weeks ago at 07:00 PM.. Reason: let's not derail the thread
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
If anyone has any feelings on these unsavory options I'd appreciate hearing them.
You clearly feel like you have to raise prices across the board, so just do it. Announce it now and make it effective, say, July 1. So, for the next six weeks, the current prices becomes the "discount" prices. And don't limit it to stock on hand, let people back order. The stink currently swirling around pre-orders and back orders won't apply to you guys.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey Brad

I honestly believe that what Trump is doing will make the USA better, stronger in the long run, but there is no Q that some people in your boat will feel some pain in the beginning. But, I mean, 800 bilion is 800 billion.

Tariffs are taxes, and at the end of the day the consumer will bear the brunt of this.

For the most part, this is true.

For instance, just the other day I went on Mouser to get an updated quote on a pushbutton switch I use throughout many of my products. Its per unit price at 500+ piece quantities is now over 4X higher than it was a year ago! That's crazy.

Well, that has nothing to do with the Trump tariffs.

When a business is required to pay increased taxes, it can choose to 1) raise prices, 2) pass the tax onto the consumer (this is what we experience with sales tax and VAT), 3) change supply chains or processes to offset the taxes, or 4) do nothing, and suffer loss of profit.

So, 1 &2 are the same, no? 4 - would hate to see that happen to you, and 3 - is that not a possibility? I have no idea where, outside of China, you would get these parts from. There must be other places, no?

However, I'm not sure I can maintain that much longer under the current tax climate.

Look - you have to do what you have to do. If you get ALL of your parts from China, whereas there is no other supply chain for about the same pre-tariff prices - that would mean you would have to raise the street price of the SB from $1999 to $2300; if it's not all of the parts, but a portion, the increase should be less.... do I have that about right? In any event, if we start to see all (or most) of the gear manus start to raise their prices as well, that's just the way the industry is headed, so nothing for you to sweat over.

In any event, you run a great little co., and I hope everything turns out for you.

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have thoughts on tariffs? Email me.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the thoughts on this touchy subject. In the spirit of keeping the thread on track and not having the moderators storming in here to erase posts, may I respectfully ask that if you have thoughts you'd like to share with me on the matter of tariffs, please email them to me at [email protected] I welcome the private discussions. I should have specified this in my previous post.

thanks!
Brad
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari88 View Post
I’m curious to know how people composing for film/tv are using the SB? Are we seeing more use on individual final stems or stereo mix buss?
Totally depends on the job and turnaround time for me, I do some daily shows that have 10+ cues per 20 min episode - and sometimes I'm doing 2 or 3 of those episodes in a day.. and it's not always feasible to go OTB, but since I got it, the SB has seen plenty action on cues & a library music album I just finished.
I tend to use it mostly on the mixbus & on individual tracks when I need to make them jump out or to fatten them up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No - only the mic inputs can route to the Mix outputs by changing the jumper settings inside the unit. The track inputs are hardwired to the track outputs and are just there for workflow reasons which don’t necessarily count if you’re just using the track inputs for processing tracks from your DAW. The track inputs would come into their own if using hardware synths or other external gear (which I’m not currently).
Maybe the MIC inputs have DI’s built in? Then I’d just route the synths in there instead.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Maybe the MIC inputs have DI’s built in? Then I’d just route the synths in there instead.
Nope - you’d have to use a separate DI box to use the mic inputs. If I were you, I’d rig up the tracking inputs with your synths and cable up the tracking outputs too but just leave them dangling and switch the cables on your Apollo Twin depending on your usage. Or, buy an Apogee Element with more inputs!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'm doing mostly film/TV. Using it on mix buss always. Stems often / usually. Also on individual tracks if I've got one left over. I know that kind of dilutes your question, but yeah, everywhere I have an opportunity where it works. (Which is mostly anywhere for me....)
@ Jeff Hayat is using one also for Film/TV. Jeff - how you doin it bro??
If time allows, and if the cue needs it (sometimes it doesn't*) I do individ tracks through the SB, and then a 2nd pass of the entire mix. Bear in mind, I have other gear, incl a 33609, and there is other witchcraft and voodoo astir.

*there are times that I find myself feeling that an individ track pass is not necessary, and just do the one mix pass
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope - you’d have to use a separate DI box to use the mic inputs. If I were you, I’d rig up the tracking inputs with your synths and cable up the tracking outputs too but just leave them dangling and switch the cables on your Apollo Twin depending on your usage. Or, buy an Apogee Element with more inputs!
Cheers.

I have no real use for $1500 Apogee Element (it’s a stupid product line). Besides I’m running UAD plugins.

I think it’s an oversight in routing as most hybrid studios have similar needs as I have.

Yes I can yank out cables back and forth all day but not being able to route track to the mix out or having DI’s on the mic inputs is an oversight.

Other than that I really like this box. But it’s no silver bullet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I remember when API raised their prices a few years ago. I was kind of OK with it I guess. I have some sympathy for American companies trying to compete and survive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Cheers.

I have no real use for $1500 Apogee Element (it’s a stupid product line). Besides I’m running UAD plugins.

I think it’s an oversight in routing as most hybrid studios have similar needs as I have.

Yes I can yank out cables back and forth all day but not being able to route track to the mix out or having DI’s on the mic inputs is an oversight.

You could just get something like the Coleman LS3 line selector and have both outputs easily selectable to your Apollo's inputs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Cheers.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between the 'track' and 'mix' is that 'mix' allows usage of the inserts by default. Do you have more hardware you want to run on the insert?

If you need more routing your in patchbay/mixer land. Sounds like you could keep the 'TRK' outs connected to the Twin, and the 3/4 outs going to the 'TRK' in. If you switched to 'MIC' mode, that would go out the 'TRK' outs as well...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Just have two questions:

Is it safe to cover the vents on the top of the SB?

Is it safe for the SB to be turned on continuously?

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the SB manual
We have configured the enclosure and cover with a generous amount of ventilation cutouts to provide numerous paths for heat to escape from the unit. These cutouts should not be covered or blocked if you want your unit to give you many years of trouble-free operation. .... allowing adequate ventilation is important..... One rack space above the unit should be left open....
Yes, it can be left on, as per a convo I had w/Brad some time back.

Cheers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hi Brad,

Sorry to hear how this has been impacting you.

Just wanted to chime in to say that while it’s most admirable that you haven’t had to raise prices all these years, I for one would fully support your doing so now. The SB is honestly underpriced IMHO for what it is, at least compared to alternatives and the quality of what you get and the sound (not manufacturing costs, of which I know nothing.) Even at $2300 it would still be a very good deal, and if somebody (God forbid) stole mine, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a replacement at that price point.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Hi Brad,

Sorry to hear how this has been impacting you.

Just wanted to chime in to say that while it’s most admirable that you haven’t had to raise prices all these years, I for one would fully support your doing so now. The SB is honestly underpriced IMHO for what it is, at least compared to alternatives and the quality of what you get and the sound (not manufacturing costs, of which I know nothing.) Even at $2300 it would still be a very good deal, and if somebody (God forbid) stole mine, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a replacement at that price point.
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement and support. I'm going to hold out as long as I can and when the time comes to make a change in pricing I'll give everyone as much advance warning as possible.

thanks,
Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
any experience with these guys, what sort of cost?
I have been reading this ENTIRE thread and once the suggestion for Access Analog was made I went over there and checked it out, and OH MY... It is a VST that has the best of all the web based analog gear UI's, really NO lag and let me totally take a Silver Bullet for a test drive. (more about that in a second.)

Ive also done Mix Analog as well (which is good, but it seems I have an issue everytime I use it, the controls lag and the way to go about booking gear is kinda clunky...BUT THIS SERVICE integrates right into my work flow. I am super impressed....

Now that I have been able to test a silver bullet through and A/B it against a mix that wasn't using it, I am headed on over to the louder than liftoff website, RIGHT NOW to go pick one up. I am kinda blown away

If anyone is on the fence you should definitely go try the Silver Bullet out on the Access Analog website.

Last edited by Smoke M2D6; 3 weeks ago at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Left out a word
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke M2D6 View Post
I have been reading this ENTIRE thread and once the suggestion for Access Analog was made I went over there and checked it out, and OH MY... It is a VST that has the best of all the web based analog gear UI's, really NO lag and let me totally take a Silver Bullet for a test drive. (more about that in a second.)

Ive also done Mix Analog as well (which is good, but it seems I have an issue everytime I use it, the controls lag and the way to go about booking gear is kinda clunky...BUT THIS SERVICE integrates right into my work flow. I am super impressed....

Now that I have been able to test a silver bullet through and A/B it against a mix that wasn't using it, I am headed on over to the louder than liftoff website, RIGHT NOW to go pick one up. I am kinda blown away

If anyone is on the fence you should definitely go the Silver Bullet out on the Access Analog website.
Now this is exactly the reaction I was hoping for - that testing on Access Analog would drive people on to buy their own SB, realising that life could no longer be the same without one.. It’s that ‘lightbulb’ moment similar to when you meet the woman of your dreams
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now this is exactly the reaction I was hoping for - that testing on Access Analog would drive people on to buy their own SB, realising that life could no longer be the same without one.. It’s that ‘lightbulb’ moment similar to when you meet the woman of your dreams
all this talk makes me terrified to go anywhere near it until I'm in a financial position to take the hit...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I had to finish a couple mixes tonight and I have ran em through the SB (on access analog) and its INSANE....I was expecting some of this thread to be hype, but was not prepared to have my expectations completely exceeded in the way they have.

That site/service is pretty amazing. Not a single hiccup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
all this talk makes me terrified to go anywhere near it until I'm in a financial position to take the hit...
You only live once...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I tried the Accessanalog too, but I can't get it to work. If I input a wrong password, it does say "authentication error", but nothing happens if I give the correct password. Connect button just goes grey and doesn't respond to anything anymore.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Brad,

How would you recommend connecting the SB to a guitar pedal (mixing scenario)? Would taking advantage of the unbalanced signal via inserts with an impedance converter (necessary?) be preferable, or do you think it'd be best to use the balanced outputs into a balanced/unbalanced line level converter. Thoughts? Thanks!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko View Post
I tried the Accessanalog too, but I can't get it to work. If I input a wrong password, it does say "authentication error", but nothing happens if I give the correct password. Connect button just goes grey and doesn't respond to anything anymore.
My password wouldn't work until I reserved a time slot. It then gave me a different password that worked for the connection, it's not the same as the acct sign-in. Not sure why it's different but I did manage to get in and have a play with their SB to see how it compared to having one in the studio. Worked pretty well, the lag was less than using Acustica plugins.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Access Analog Beta Testing

Hello everyone!

Thanks for participating in beta testing the Analog Matrix from Access Analog - we are refining our system and appreciate your patience as we continue to develop.

Please visit our support page here:

https://accessanalog.com/support/#15...-2b5d08e0-15b3

And feel free to email us at [email protected] if you have any questions or require assistance.

We are currently working on our offline render option.

You should be able to visit our page, enter your info to make a reservation and this will create an account for you. Some confusion can happen if you create an account and then reserve equipment and provide different information or are not logged in. You can always reset your password here https://accessanalog.com/user-profile/

Reserve gear here:

https://accessanalog.com/reserve/

Recently we've had users logging from around the world and occasionally this is causing issues with our server application - Askomiko and Nudwig - please message us and we'll be sure to get you logged in.

Enjoy the analog processing! The Silver Bullet is AMAZING!!!!

-Ryan
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhifile View Post
Brad,

How would you recommend connecting the SB to a guitar pedal (mixing scenario)? Would taking advantage of the unbalanced signal via inserts with an impedance converter (necessary?) be preferable, or do you think it'd be best to use the balanced outputs into a balanced/unbalanced line level converter. Thoughts? Thanks!!
Hi there,

You could run the guitar pedal in the unbalanced insert and use the OUTPUT knob of the last Mojo Amp to adjust signal level into the pedal. However, you will likely need a way to get the signal level back up to line level before it goes through the EQ. Or you can always use another device after the SB to bump up the signal level.

If you want to be technically correct about levels and impedance then I'd recommend just using somethin like this:

https://www.radialeng.com/product/extc

Ignoring impedance matching can yield acceptable results, but depending on the output drive capability of the pedal in question, you may not have enough output level.

I hope that helps.

Brad
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhifile View Post
Brad,

Reamp box and a DI would do the trick.

DAC -> reamp box -> guitar pedal(s) -> DI -> SB
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search